By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Sony afford to make PS5 more expensive than PS4 launch price?

How much should it cost?

400 45 52.94%

450 15 17.65%

500 21 24.71%

550 0 0%

600 0 0%

600+ 4 4.71%

Total:85

Doubtful. My guess is that PS5 and PS5 Pro will launch simultaneously, so they can already have the more expensive high end model for those that want the extra hardware and are willing to pay more.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network

399 is the sweet spot, those who want more power will now wait 3 years for the eventual PRO update.

dx11332sega said:

Do you prefer a slightly more powerful PS5 vs One X or a 500 dollar Bonafide beast I know 600 dollars is extremely risky which is why they lost money back in 7th gen and because the consumers weren't ready to spend 600 dollars . I still think consumers aren't ready for a 600 dollar console but are they ready for a 500 dollar Sony console? What do you think is the sweet spot for PS5 and do you think 450 or even 500 is risky or can the consumer go big for a 600 dollar machine again? You yourself can you afford a 500 dollar machine ? How much should it cost to compete with 500 dollar Xbox two without kinect 3 ?

I think in 2020, you can see a 10 Tflop+ PS5 at 399$.

That ll be enough with the stronger CPU, to make a big differnce over the Xbox One X, and it ll be enough.

Good price + Games > everything else with the consoles.

estebxx said:
399 is the sweet spot, those who want more power will now wait 3 years for the eventual PRO update.

A "sudo" 8k for those people that buy 8k TV's? nah.
I think next gen, there wont be a "mid-way" upgrade.

$499 seems right, there are millions of Sony fans who'd buy a PS5 even if it didn't have any game. Those early adopters would def pay $499. They can do a $100 price cut a year later.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
dx11332sega said:

Do you prefer a slightly more powerful PS5 vs One X or a 500 dollar Bonafide beast I know 600 dollars is extremely risky which is why they lost money back in 7th gen and because the consumers weren't ready to spend 600 dollars . I still think consumers aren't ready for a 600 dollar console but are they ready for a 500 dollar Sony console? What do you think is the sweet spot for PS5 and do you think 450 or even 500 is risky or can the consumer go big for a 600 dollar machine again? You yourself can you afford a 500 dollar machine ? How much should it cost to compete with 500 dollar Xbox two without kinect 3 ?

I think in 2020, you can see a 10 Tflop+ PS5 at 399$.

That ll be enough with the stronger CPU, to make a big differnce over the Xbox One X, and it ll be enough.

Good price + Games > everything else with the consoles.

10 tflop for $400 is going to be tricky imo. They not not only need to boost the GPU, CPU, and RAM compared to XB1 X, they have to do something about the storage problem, load times are already atrocious this gen, and they will be even worse next gen thanks to higher res textures and such if MS/Sony don't offer at least a small amount of SSD storage to use as a cache for frequently used files to cut down on load times. A decent sized SSD cache will cost them at least $30 extra in 2020 I bet, so I have a feeling they'll aim for $450 at least. 

I think they could be well served by a $450 launch price for a few reasons.

1. $400 in 2019 or 2020 just won't be what it was in 2013 (with inflation you're looking at $425 today)

2. Launching at a slightly higher price means that they can provide better hardware than they could at $400. Especially if they're willing to break even, or take a small loss on the hardware at launch.

3. If they can beat the Xbox 2 to market by a year (which I think is likely if they decide to launch in 2019) even if Microsoft launches the Xbox 2 at $400 Sony would have time to drop the price to match it.

4. PlayStation is a really valuable brand. I think people could be pretty easily convinced that a PS5 is worth $450.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Turkish said:
$499 seems right, there are millions of Sony fans who'd buy a PS5 even if it didn't have any game. Those early adopters would def pay $499. They can do a $100 price cut a year later.

If Sony really is to release first next gen their goal will be to get as much of a head start as possible, which will work much better with a 400,- price, even if they’ll lose a bit of money on it.

Errorist76 said:
Turkish said:

If Sony really is to release first next gen their goal will be to get as much of a head start as possible, which will work much better with a 400,- price, even if they’ll lose a bit of money on it.

On the flip side though, aiming for $400 a year early means the specs will be weaker than a $400 Xbox 4 released a year later, and much weaker than a $450 or $500 Xbox released a year later. Meanwhile a $500 PS5 a year earlier will be equivalent in specs to a $400 Xbox 4 released a year later, which means they can drop to $400 themselves when Xbox 4 releases and have both a 1 year sales headstart and a console that has equal multiplat ports instead of lesser multiplat ports. 

why not PS5 @400 & PS5Pro @500 to launch at same time