By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Sony afford to make PS5 more expensive than PS4 launch price?

How much should it cost?

400 45 52.94%

450 15 17.65%

500 21 24.71%

550 0 0%

600 0 0%

600+ 4 4.71%

Total:85

$499 seems right, there are millions of Sony fans who'd buy a PS5 even if it didn't have any game. Those early adopters would def pay $499. They can do a $100 price cut a year later.

Around the Network

I think they could be well served by a $450 launch price for a few reasons.

1. $400 in 2019 or 2020 just won't be what it was in 2013 (with inflation you're looking at $425 today)

2. Launching at a slightly higher price means that they can provide better hardware than they could at $400. Especially if they're willing to break even, or take a small loss on the hardware at launch.

3. If they can beat the Xbox 2 to market by a year (which I think is likely if they decide to launch in 2019) even if Microsoft launches the Xbox 2 at $400 Sony would have time to drop the price to match it.

4. PlayStation is a really valuable brand. I think people could be pretty easily convinced that a PS5 is worth $450.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Turkish said:
$499 seems right, there are millions of Sony fans who'd buy a PS5 even if it didn't have any game. Those early adopters would def pay $499. They can do a $100 price cut a year later.

If Sony really is to release first next gen their goal will be to get as much of a head start as possible, which will work much better with a 400,- price, even if they’ll lose a bit of money on it.

why not PS5 @400 & PS5Pro @500 to launch at same time

HokageTenshi said:

There won’t be a need for a Pro Model next gen, since most people still won’t even have a 4K TV at launch. Plus 100 more won’t give you a big enough bump in power. Another reason is it would confuse customers. Not a wise thing to do.

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
HokageTenshi said:

There won’t be a need for a Pro Model next gen, since most people still won’t even have a 4K TV at launch.

PS4Pro & X1X already here for 4K TV users but not next gen?

Last edited by HokageTenshi - on 03 March 2018

HokageTenshi said:
Errorist76 said:

There won’t be a need for a Pro Model next gen, since most people still won’t even have a 4K TV at launch.

PS4Pro & X1X already here for 4K TV users and not next gen?

And both can’t do proper native 4K. Next gen will be all about 4K/30 or /60 for some games. 

And all that, when more than half of the people don’t even have 4K TVs....therefore....no need for an even more powerful model. 

Tbh I don’t even think 8K TVs are even needed for gaming at all. More power will be welcome for VR though.

JRPGfan said:
estebxx said:
399 is the sweet spot, those who want more power will now wait 3 years for the eventual PRO update.

A "sudo" 8k for those people that buy 8k TV's? nah.
I think next gen, there wont be a "mid-way" upgrade.

I wouldnt be surprised if it became a trend and i also dont think its only about resolution, (and yeah i know thats normally what these companies care the most about since its easier to show off), but i wouldnt be surprised to see a pro that focuses on getting all games to 60fps or just improving overall performance.

The can do just fine releasing a $500 console. As long as its BC with the PS4 and that MS doesnt release a $300 console.

The problem with the PS3 wasnt just that it cost more than the 360, it was also because it was seen as a $600 box while 360 was "starting at $299", and in addition sony was losobg almost $200+ from every console sold.

If the PS5 releases at $500 and the XB2 at $400 amd there is a noticeable difference in game performance, then the PS5 would still sell more. For most of this gen the XB1 has been cheaper than the PS4, but was still being outsold.

Errorist76 said:
HokageTenshi said:

PS4Pro & X1X already here for 4K TV users and not next gen?

And both can’t do proper native 4K. Next gen will be all about 4K/30 or /60 for some games. 

And all that, when more than half of the people don’t even have 4K TVs....therefore....no need for an even more powerful model. 

Tbh I don’t even think 8K TVs are even needed for gaming at all.

i don't think a $400 console even at 2020 (which probably PS5 launching) will be strong enough to support AAA games at solid native 4K 30fps, so $500 Pro is more possible to achieve that, and launching only a $500 model doesn't seems really a friendly price for most gamers