By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Sony afford to make PS5 more expensive than PS4 launch price?

How much should it cost?

400 45 52.94%

450 15 17.65%

500 21 24.71%

550 0 0%

600 0 0%

600+ 4 4.71%

Total:85
HokageTenshi said:

why not PS5 @400 & PS5Pro @500 to launch at same time

There won’t be a need for a Pro Model next gen, since most people still won’t even have a 4K TV at launch. Plus 100 more won’t give you a big enough bump in power. Another reason is it would confuse customers. Not a wise thing to do.

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
HokageTenshi said:

why not PS5 @400 & PS5Pro @500 to launch at same time

There won’t be a need for a Pro Model next gen, since most people still won’t even have a 4K TV at launch.

PS4Pro & X1X already here for 4K TV users but not next gen?

Last edited by HokageTenshi - on 03 March 2018

HokageTenshi said:
Errorist76 said:

There won’t be a need for a Pro Model next gen, since most people still won’t even have a 4K TV at launch.

PS4Pro & X1X already here for 4K TV users and not next gen?

And both can’t do proper native 4K. Next gen will be all about 4K/30 or /60 for some games. 

And all that, when more than half of the people don’t even have 4K TVs....therefore....no need for an even more powerful model. 

Tbh I don’t even think 8K TVs are even needed for gaming at all. More power will be welcome for VR though.

JRPGfan said:
estebxx said:
399 is the sweet spot, those who want more power will now wait 3 years for the eventual PRO update.

A "sudo" 8k for those people that buy 8k TV's? nah.
I think next gen, there wont be a "mid-way" upgrade.

I wouldnt be surprised if it became a trend and i also dont think its only about resolution, (and yeah i know thats normally what these companies care the most about since its easier to show off), but i wouldnt be surprised to see a pro that focuses on getting all games to 60fps or just improving overall performance.

The can do just fine releasing a $500 console. As long as its BC with the PS4 and that MS doesnt release a $300 console.

The problem with the PS3 wasnt just that it cost more than the 360, it was also because it was seen as a $600 box while 360 was "starting at $299", and in addition sony was losobg almost $200+ from every console sold.

If the PS5 releases at $500 and the XB2 at $400 amd there is a noticeable difference in game performance, then the PS5 would still sell more. For most of this gen the XB1 has been cheaper than the PS4, but was still being outsold.

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
HokageTenshi said:

PS4Pro & X1X already here for 4K TV users and not next gen?

And both can’t do proper native 4K. Next gen will be all about 4K/30 or /60 for some games. 

And all that, when more than half of the people don’t even have 4K TVs....therefore....no need for an even more powerful model. 

Tbh I don’t even think 8K TVs are even needed for gaming at all.

i don't think a $400 console even at 2020 (which probably PS5 launching) will be strong enough to support AAA games at solid native 4K 30fps, so $500 Pro is more possible to achieve that, and launching only a $500 model doesn't seems really a friendly price for most gamers

I think MIcrosoft kind of planned this. Now the PS4 has to at least match the One X is power, and I don't see components similar to the One X going down considerably in price unless a deal is made or PS4 doesn't release until 2020 or late 2019. By this time they'd have to either release a 450+ console, or something weaker than the One X at a cheaper price, or like I said earlier, they'd have to have one hell of a chip deal with AMD. But let's be honest, PS5 has probably already neared the end of development and specs would have to be based on 2016-late 2017 or early 2018 tech.

This is a really strange position for the PS5 to be in and if they really don't want to ignore the Nintendo Switch, and implement a portable option, then prices shoot through the roof as mobile chips the power of Xbox One X don't exist, and if they do they aren't in consumer electronics yet. I think their best bet is to sell a $450+ console and see where it goes from there. And considering One X isn't Microsoft's next console, it's just going to be really strange. Generations are already dead, this next "generation" will finish the notion of them off.

HokageTenshi said:
Errorist76 said:

Tbh I don’t even think 8K TVs are even needed for gaming at all.

i don't think a $400 console even at 2020 (which probably PS5 launching) will be strong enough to support AAA games at solid native 4K 30fps, so $500 Pro is more possible to achieve that, and launching only a $500 model doesn't seems really a friendly price for most gamers

That’s almost three years from now....it will be easily possible with advances in RAM and CPU. Doesn’t mean all games will be native but most of them for sure. I already mentioned the reasons why an additional, more expensive and slightly more powerful console doesn’t make sense in my last posts.

Ljink96 said:
I think MIcrosoft kind of planned this. Now the PS4 has to at least match the One X is power, and I don't see components similar to the One X going down considerably in price unless a deal is made or PS4 doesn't release until 2020 or late 2019. By this time they'd have to either release a 450+ console, or something weaker than the One X at a cheaper price, or like I said earlier, they'd have to have one hell of a chip deal with AMD. But let's be honest, PS5 has probably already neared the end of development and specs would have to be based on 2016-late 2017 or early 2018 tech.

This is a really strange position for the PS5 to be in and if they really don't want to ignore the Nintendo Switch, and implement a portable option, then prices shoot through the roof as mobile chips the power of Xbox One X don't exist, and if they do they aren't in consumer electronics yet. I think their best bet is to sell a $450+ console and see where it goes from there. And considering One X isn't Microsoft's next console, it's just going to be really strange. Generations are already dead, this next "generation" will finish the notion of them off.

Be assured Sony has very close ties to AMD (they even developed some Vega features together)...if rumours are true that they’ll go for a dedicated GPU/CPU Solution this time, instead of an APU, a considerable increase of power is a given. PS5 won’t be in a strange position..X1X is, since it’s too expensive for a late mid-gen upgrade and won’t be able to keep up with true next gen titles.

Generations aren’t dead and especially not because of X1X, since no one really owns the thing to make an impact. Plus it’s lame CPU will prevent it from being relevant once next gen starts rolling.

Errorist76 said:
Ljink96 said:

Be assured Sony has very close ties to AMD (they even developed some Vega features together)...if rumours are true that they’ll go for a dedicated GPU/CPU Solution this time, instead of an APU, a considerable increase of power is a given. PS5 won’t be in a strange position..X1X is, since it’s too expensive for a late mid-gen upgrade and won’t be able to keep up with true next gen titles.

Generations aren’t dead and especially not because of X1X, since no one really owns the thing to make an impact. Plus it’s lame CPU will prevent it from being relevant once next gen starts rolling.

Well, the flow of what it meant to be a "Generation" is gone. Everyone is off doing their own thing, of varying power levels, and varying time slots, as for back then every console came out at the same time, or within the same window, and ended around the same time. The traditional generation is dead. Switch and One X threw a wrench in it. We can't even agree that Switch is Gen 9 because everyone has their own idea of who kick-starts a generation. 

Xbox One X really isn't in a strange position because it seems like a diversion. Microsoft knew it was a premium product for premium users, at a premium price point. But it's leagues stronger than the PS4 and the Pro...technically of course. I just really want to see the route they're going to take and hope it isn't awkward. To not be in another PS3 situation, they have to have a deal with AMD, and hopefully they do, to drive down costs on their end. And again, what gets me worried is their statements on the Switch. Are they looking to retaliate? A handheld and a home console from then would not be satisfactory at this point, can't cram a dedicated GPU card in a handheld device, at least one powerful enough.