Forums - Movies Discussion - Black Panther Shatters Box Office Projections

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I remember when January and February and even March were dumping grounds for bad movies. Now, clearly, February is as viable as any other. Seriously, Marvel could release a movie every month and make 3/4 of a billion dollars.

I love that the movie is making people proud and empowered and more thoughtful about race. I only wish the actual film was better.

The movie came out in the middle of black history month. I think it was a great choice to do so but I feel like it deserves the praise it has received.

I feel the way towards Wonder Woman that you seem to feel towards Black Panther. I appreciate it for what it means to the audience but it wasnt my favorite. 

Birimbau said:

The protagonist is a Black Trump: believes in nationalism, isolationism, protects its people and culture from outsiders, doesn't care about taking migrants, there is a whole "wall" that keeps the country isolated.

Yet liberals are salivating even though the movie conveys the opposite of the liberal thought of "open borders" and "multiculturalism".

Oh? Did you watch the movie? 

Around the Network
Birimbau said:

The protagonist is a Black Trump: believes in nationalism, isolationism, protects its people and culture from outsiders, doesn't care about taking migrants, there is a whole "wall" that keeps the country isolated.

Yet liberals are salivating even though the movie conveys the opposite of the liberal thought of "open borders" and "multiculturalism".

I'm confused. I haven't seen the movie yet but from what I've heard from other people is that ... that's ... kind of the point? Isn't this one of those movies where the Villain is kind of right? 

Too worthless to live, too scared to die. 

I still have problems with the "Benevolent King" philosophy of Black Panther.

There were moments in the movie that I thought the filmmakers were aware of how hypocritical the whole concept of Wakanda society was. But there wasn´t much they could do to change it since it is the core of the character.

However, the true hypocrites are Disney PR that flooded the media with misleading information regarding the "unprecedented feat" of a black superhero film.

The final fight was terrible, though. It seems those models were placeholders for pre-visualisation but they run out of time to film it with real actors.

Birimbau said:

Did you even watch the film?

That's the point. This is the type of movie where even though the bad guy is a homicidal maniac who needs to be stopped, he does have a point.

Pancho A. Ovies

Nintendo Switch in Japan (Famitsu): 2018 vs. 2019
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=238945&page=2

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2018 vs. 2019
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239387

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Birimbau said:

I'm confused. I haven't seen the movie yet but from what I've heard from other people is that ... that's ... kind of the point? Isn't this one of those movies where the Villain is kind of right? 

Yes, the villain in BP has a good point... until they made him Hitler, and lather a plastic doll.

If I were black I would find more damaging the concept that an African nation can only have developed with mystical powers granted by change (literally falling from the sky). And that after so much advance they are still a society bound by tribal traditions like ritualistic fights for determining the ruler.

If the filmmakers were a little less talented the movie could have been a disaster. 

Around the Network
CosmicSex said:
VGPolyglot said:

It seems like every Marvel movie is a success these days.

They pretty much all are.  I mean Disney is killing it period.  You look at this and Star Wars and you see that Disney is unstoppable.  And of course it helps that Black Panther is a good movie.  It helps that their movies seem to be getting better too.  This is why I predict a huge opening for Infinity Wars.   I thought Ragnarok was the best Thor movie and that came out right before this.  Disney is doing the damn thing.  Considering just how good Black Panther is, there is no doubt in my mind that Infinity Wars will be just spectacular.

SW TLJ grossed $600 less than TFW. That is almost the whole Justice League BO.

I don´t think there is much room for Infinity War to pass Avengers 1 or Iron Man 3. It won´t have the media bliss BP is getting and will face stronger competition during the summer.

The floor for Marvel superheroes movies has gone up, but the ceiling is at the same place since Iron Man 3.

KrspaceT said:
Between Wonder Woman and Black Panther perhaps the view of minority and woman leads will be shattered.

You say that as if neither of those things have ever happened before. Very few people have an issue with female/ minority leads; it’s when we’re told that we have to like them lest we be labeled bigots, or when we have to stomach yet another HuffPost article complaining a movie with white male leads being too successful. Black Panther and Wonder Woman are successful because they were both genuinely good films. People enjoy them for that reason; not because of the roles. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

DialgaMarine said:
KrspaceT said:
Between Wonder Woman and Black Panther perhaps the view of minority and woman leads will be shattered.

You say that as if neither of those things have ever happened before. Very few people have an issue with female/ minority leads; it’s when we’re told that we have to like them lest we be labeled bigots, or when we have to stomach yet another HuffPost article complaining a movie with white male leads being too successful. Black Panther and Wonder Woman are successful because they were both genuinely good films. People enjoy them for that reason; not because of the roles. 

And that's what flabbergasted me the most.  

Though, I think for a select group who decides to do so, this movie is like a modern testament of their belief and what they would want to see achieve in the future of our society. 

The double standard phenomenon is strong with this one.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
DialgaMarine said:

Though, I think for a select group who decides to do so, this movie is like a modern testament of their belief and what they would want to see achieve in the future of our society. 

Okay so you guys have to accept that everyone is different and you can't define people's reasons for enjoying something.  I read your comments and shake my head like 'who actually thinks about these things'  then I realize that you are different.  You are groomed to question peoples reasoning and have to hold it up to what you think they should like or want to see.   And thats okay.  You think differently.    Just apply that to folks who really think that way.  A young business lady in my town got into comics and superheros after watching Xmen and seeing Storm.  To her, she never saw people like herself in the genre and that gave her a greater appreciation for the genre overall.  While I might not get it or experience the same thing, I recognize it as a valid thought process and perspective. Likewise, if I dismissed you being flabergassed, It would be because I am too close minded to accept that you have a different perspective. 

All is well :)

CosmicSex said:
Mar1217 said:

Okay so you guys have to accept that everyone is different and you can't define people's reasons for enjoying something.  I read your comments and shake my head like 'who actually thinks about these things'  then I realize that you are different.  You are groomed to question peoples reasoning and have to hold it up to what you think they should like or want to see.   And thats okay.  You think differently.    Just apply that to folks who really think that way.  A young business lady in my town got into comics and superheros after watching Xmen and seeing Storm.  To her, she never saw people like herself in the genre and that gave her a greater appreciation for the genre overall.  While I might not get it or experience the same thing, I recognize it as a valid thought process and perspective. Likewise, if I dismissed you being flabergassed, It would be because I am too close minded to accept that you have a different perspective. 

All is well :)

*sigh* Okay.

First, don't put a plot armor on yourself and others just because you don't want me to define reasons why people do enjoy their stuff. All you're showing is insecurity towards differents opinions (and in this case, it ain't negative but I wanna try to nuance it). 

And my point doesn't concern the individuals but more so the society that made this movie into what it resulted today.

A podcast about the concepts of representation and inclusion in film and media.

P.S : Thanks to illegal streaming the gods of the internet, I got to watch it ... and it's a good movie that follows the structural way of any Marvel movies as to date, even though I can't bare some of the modern tropes used in it. 

Also ... what happened with the CGI ? Were the programmers the same that worked on Spidey Homecoming ?! Ugh ... step up your game Marvel.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909