Forums - Movies Discussion - Black Panther Shatters Box Office Projections

took my kids to see it . I loved it but my daughter especially couldn't stop talking about the movie and "wakandas lead scientist"



Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
CosmicSex said:
To add some context, when tracking first kicked off projections in January, it was projected to have an impressive opening of 100-120 million for the opening. This is for NA showings too by the way. The movie cost an estimated 200 million to make. So now, having topped that as of Sunday, this movie is quite literally smashing expectations. I think this will end up boosting the Avengers as well. So expect Disney to walk away with 2018 easily.

It seems like every Marvel movie is a success these days.

They pretty much all are.  I mean Disney is killing it period.  You look at this and Star Wars and you see that Disney is unstoppable.  And of course it helps that Black Panther is a good movie.  It helps that their movies seem to be getting better too.  This is why I predict a huge opening for Infinity Wars.   I thought Ragnarok was the best Thor movie and that came out right before this.  Disney is doing the damn thing.  Considering just how good Black Panther is, there is no doubt in my mind that Infinity Wars will be just spectacular.



CosmicSex said:
VGPolyglot said:

It seems like every Marvel movie is a success these days.

They pretty much all are.  I mean Disney is killing it period.  You look at this and Star Wars and you see that Disney is unstoppable.  And of course it helps that Black Panther is a good movie.  It helps that their movies seem to be getting better too.  This is why I predict a huge opening for Infinity Wars.   I thought Ragnarok was the best Thor movie and that came out right before this.  Disney is doing the damn thing.  Considering just how good Black Panther is, there is no doubt in my mind that Infinity Wars will be just spectacular.

Ha ha. That's a preeeety safe prediction.



Chinese food for breakfast

 

Great opening. Sadly, the movie just wasn't that great. Definitely not bad by any means, but it just felt like the earlier Marvel films when they didn't quite have the right balance of comedy, action, and story progression. This movie is still going to do great, but I do expect a relatively steep drop next weekend.



But why though. I found the character quite meh in Civil War. *shrugs*



Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
But why though. I found the character quite meh in Civil War. *shrugs*

I can see you thinking that.  The way he was introduced didn't really give any background at all.  This movie does.  I can only give my point of view, but to me the movie was very balanced.  The cast was A+ the setting was good.  The music was A+ and story was straight forward and didn't get in the way at all.  They start with Civil War with the death of his father and take it from there so there was no back peddling like you would expect from most origin stories.  And for me, I like the fact that he wasn't overpowered!  He was grounded for what he was supposed to be.   The movie wasn't revolutionary, it was just a good movie.  Nothing to worry about.  I recommend it highly.   Also, one of the secret endings gives more clues into how Earth might be able to even deal with Thanos militarily.  So it ties in well. The African setting paid dividends as well as it was original in the MCU and added depth to the overall cast of the Avengers period.  I like it for being different and that is refreshing.



The protagonist is a Black Trump: believes in nationalism, isolationism, protects its people and culture from outsiders, doesn't care about taking migrants, there is a whole "wall" that keeps the country isolated.

 

Yet liberals are salivating even though the movie conveys the opposite of the liberal thought of "open borders" and "multiculturalism".

Last edited by Birimbau - on 19 February 2018

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I remember when January and February and even March were dumping grounds for bad movies. Now, clearly, February is as viable as any other. Seriously, Marvel could release a movie every month and make 3/4 of a billion dollars.

I love that the movie is making people proud and empowered and more thoughtful about race. I only wish the actual film was better.

Pff, I only wish your taste was better

Great numbers for a great movie.



Birimbau said:

The protagonist is a Black Trump: believes in nationalism, isolationism, protects its people and culture from outsiders, doesn't care about taking migrants, there is a whole "wall" that keeps the country isolated.

 

Yet liberals are salivating even though the movie conveys the opposite of the liberal thought of "open borders" and "multiculturalism".

Without spoiling the movie, you couldn't be further from the truth (making me think you might actually have seen it because no one can be that wrong)... so yeah there is that.  But for a moment there when you where imagining what people may be thinking when you launched into auto-hate mode, you seemed satisfied.  If you ignore the actual plot of the movie you can power right through it and replace the theme with your own perspective (spoiler alert: which funny enough is the exact opposite of the movie's point...).  

PS:  I assume you are joking because come on you would have to know how it ends to even attempt an answer that wrong.   



Looks like I'm going to have to check out this movie one of these days when it comes to Netflix or something. I also still need to see Wonder Woman... My games/movies/TV shows backlog is growing exponentially and I am working on it but it keeps growing all the time so it's hard to keep up.

And to think that piracy was supposed to have killed music, movies, games and the whole thing when in fact there has never been so much to watch or play before as there is now...