Forums - Politics Discussion - Eu voted to scrap Daylight Savings time!!

Peh said:
Errorist76 said:

So you'd be fine when it's dark at 9pm already at the Biergarten?! I don't understand that. 

Im Dunkeln ist gut munkeln.

I don't drink beer, so I could care less.

I guess you don't have friends to do BBQ with either ;o)



Around the Network

Hope this change carries through to the UK regardless of our continued EU status. I hate that the clocks change twice a year. It's just stupid and pointless.



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Errorist76 said:
Peh said:

Im Dunkeln ist gut munkeln.

I don't drink beer, so I could care less.

I guess you don't have friends to do BBQ with either ;o)

You can still do a BBQ without drinking a beer or two.



Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti 11GB VRAM | Asus PG27UQ gaming on 3840 x 2160 @120 Hz GSYNC HDR| HTC Vive Pro :3

Reached PC master race level.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
mutantsushi said:

Except... you're wrong. Countries do use offsets <1 hour, although 1/2 hour seems to be smallest common division. 
(Iran, India, Myanmar, Canada, Australia are just some with 1/2 hour offsets. NZ and Australia have 1/4 hour offset regions)

Except I was talking about minutes not half hours or even quarters of hours...

But that said, I wouldn't want to live in those quarter hours countries, I mean when they say on TV that the news will start live at 7PM you don't know if it's 7PM, 7:15PM or 7:30PM.

And quarter hours differences mean small times zones. If you need such a small difference, you don't need huge spaces like in the US or in Russia. So someone that needs to move important distances east and west, well I just wouldn't want to be such a person in regard to time.

Sure thing, I just felt obligated to correct facts when you wrote "which is why time is rounded up to the hour, everywhere.".
The 1/4 hour offsets definitely are obscure and I was unaware of them until I checked before posting. 

There is also approach of no time zones at all, just one global time and people can set schedules as they see fit.
Which would encourage people to be aware of seasons more, rather than prioritize arbitrary/inaccurate DST/timezones.

I remember travelling in Guatemala where locals refused to follow Daylight Savings Time, while the national bus companies followed the official policy, which I was glad to discover at last minute otherwise I would have missed my bus . Of course, I sympathized with locals because the policy is ineffective (re: claims of saving energy, etc) even in it's "origin" (high latitude countries), never mind tropical Guatemala with little seasonal light variation. 

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 10 February 2018

This is cool. I like not having to deal with DST where I live.



Around the Network
mutantsushi said:

Sure thing, I just felt obligated to correct facts when you wrote "which is why time is rounded up to the hour, everywhere.".
The 1/4 hour offsets definitely are obscure and I was unaware of them until I checked before posting. 

There is also approach of no time zones at all, just one global time and people can set schedules as they see fit.
Which would encourage people to be aware of seasons more, rather than prioritize arbitrary/inaccurate DST/timezones.

I remember travelling in Guatemala where locals refused to follow Daylight Savings Time, while the national bus companies followed the official policy, which I was glad to discover at last minute otherwise I would have missed my bus . Of course, I sympathized with locals because the policy is ineffective (re: claims of saving energy, etc) even in it's "origin" (high latitude countries), never mind tropical Guatemala with little seasonal light variation. 

Well thank you professor for correcting this mistake. In my defense, how the hell could I have imagined that some countries or local governments or whoever decides on time zones would be dumb enough to decide to make their time zones 15, 30 or 45 minutes more or less than the next time zone right?

But as weird as it sounds, it appears you are right... So let me update my statement: ... which is why time is rounded up to the hour in the majority of cases.



i hope the UK scraps daylight savings altogether. I hate it when it gets dark too early.



MinatozakiSana said:
i hope the UK scraps daylight savings altogether. I hate it when it gets dark too early.

Just to be clear if daylight savings are scrapped it will get dark one hour earlier in the evening as winter time will be the official time all year round.



CrazyGamer2017 said:
MinatozakiSana said:
i hope the UK scraps daylight savings altogether. I hate it when it gets dark too early.

Just to be clear if daylight savings are scrapped it will get dark one hour earlier in the evening as winter time will be the official time all year round.

oh, this thing confuses me lol 



CrazyGamer2017 said:
MinatozakiSana said:
i hope the UK scraps daylight savings altogether. I hate it when it gets dark too early.

Just to be clear if daylight savings are scrapped it will get dark one hour earlier in the evening as winter time will be the official time all year round.

That also means it will be light one hour earlier in the morning though



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702