Forums - Politics Discussion - Eu voted to scrap Daylight Savings time!!

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Flilix said:

CET was introduced by the Germans in 1940. The actual time here is GMT + 10-20 minutes.

For obvious reasons that kind of time can never be used. It would mean that while in Ostende it is 4:00 PM, in Brussels it would be 4:07 PM and at the same time in Arlon it would be 4:12 PM give or take a few minutes. In our modern world this would be extremely confusing and totally unpractical which is why time is rounded up to the hour, everywhere.

Except... you're wrong. Countries do use offsets <1 hour, although 1/2 hour seems to be smallest common division. 
(Iran, India, Myanmar, Canada, Australia are just some with 1/2 hour offsets. NZ and Australia have 1/4 hour offset regions)

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 08 February 2018

Around the Network

I like it. Just what people are used to. Who gives a shit, why even waste resources voting for this?

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

This is an interesting move, since it was recently rejected here :p

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread -

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Bristow9091 said:
Hiku said:

So it'll be winter time all year around? I guess I'm fine with that.

I was legit late to school for 1 hour and 5 minutes one time. When my teacher asked me about it, I thought she was referring to the 5 minutes and told her that the bus was a few minutes late. lol

Ah shit I actually did the exact same thing for work once! :P It can take me days, sometimes even a week or two, to adjust to the new timezone, lol. 

For me, I can pretty much adjust the day of, probably because of how drastic my sleeping pattern changes throughout the week.

mutantsushi said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

For obvious reasons that kind of time can never be used. It would mean that while in Ostende it is 4:00 PM, in Brussels it would be 4:07 PM and at the same time in Arlon it would be 4:12 PM give or take a few minutes. In our modern world this would be extremely confusing and totally unpractical which is why time is rounded up to the hour, everywhere.

Except... you're wrong. Countries do use offsets <1 hour, although 1/2 hour seems to be smallest common division. 
(Iran, India, Myanmar, Canada, Australia are just some with 1/2 hour offsets. NZ and Australia have 1/4 hour offset regions)

Except I was talking about minutes not half hours or even quarters of hours...

But that said, I wouldn't want to live in those quarter hours countries, I mean when they say on TV that the news will start live at 7PM you don't know if it's 7PM, 7:15PM or 7:30PM.

And quarter hours differences mean small times zones. If you need such a small difference, you don't need huge spaces like in the US or in Russia. So someone that needs to move important distances east and west, well I just wouldn't want to be such a person in regard to time.

Around the Network

Living in Italy I really hope we keep the DST, during Summer everyone loves having some light up to 9 PM here

Finally! Just get rid of it.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti 11GB VRAM | Asus PG27UQ gaming on 3840 x 2160 @120 Hz GSYNC HDR| HTC Vive Pro :3

Reached PC master race level.

Peh said:

So you'd be fine when it's dark at 9pm already at the Biergarten?! I don't understand that. 

Errorist76 said:
Peh said:

So you'd be fine when it's dark at 9pm already at the Biergarten?! I don't understand that. 

Im Dunkeln ist gut munkeln.

I don't drink beer, so I could care less.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti 11GB VRAM | Asus PG27UQ gaming on 3840 x 2160 @120 Hz GSYNC HDR| HTC Vive Pro :3

Reached PC master race level.

Hope this pushes the US to get rid of it as well. Also wish AM/PM would be killed off. Time should only be kept on the full 24 Hour scale. DST and AM/PM are massive over complications of something that should be straight forward.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL