Forums - Politics Discussion - Eu voted to scrap Daylight Savings time!!

Hiku said:

So it'll be winter time all year around? I guess I'm fine with that.

Bristow9091 said:

I use the excuse twice a year, when the clocks go forward I always say i thought they went back :P 

I was legit late to school for 1 hour and 5 minutes one time. When my teacher asked me about it, I thought she was referring to the 5 minutes and told her that the bus was a few minutes late. lol

Ah shit I actually did the exact same thing for work once! :P It can take me days, sometimes even a week or two, to adjust to the new timezone, lol. 

Around the Network

I prefer the way things are currently. In summer I'm awake at 9PM but I'm not at 5AM, so I would lose an hour of daylight.

Bristow9091 said:
Hiku said:

So it'll be winter time all year around? I guess I'm fine with that.

I was legit late to school for 1 hour and 5 minutes one time. When my teacher asked me about it, I thought she was referring to the 5 minutes and told her that the bus was a few minutes late. lol

Ah shit I actually did the exact same thing for work once! :P It can take me days, sometimes even a week or two, to adjust to the new timezone, lol. 

Lol, nice. Yeah, when she pointed it out to me and saw my surprise, she asked "Is there no one to remind you of these things?"
I guess not. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL-BRQzzX8M

Hiku said:
Bristow9091 said:

Lol, nice. Yeah, when she pointed it out to me and saw my surprise, she asked "Is there no one to remind you of these things?"
I guess not. lol

These excuses should not work at all. In case you did not notice we live in a time when all our clocks change automatically to the correct time. Whether computers, smart phones, tablets, televisions etc... They all change on their own.

The only clock I must change manually twice a year is the one on my microwave oven.

I'd be happy with this, DST makes meeting across zones hard in current system where who and when the changes happen vary. Having a set time zone where London is always the same difference from New York would be very convenient.

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
Hiku said:

I guess not. lol

These excuses should not work at all. In case you did not notice we live in a time when all our clocks change automatically to the correct time. Whether computers, smart phones, tablets, televisions etc... They all change on their own.

The only clock I must change manually twice a year is the one on my microwave oven.

In case you did not notice, people have lived in different times. Perhaps because you were born at a certain time, you don't even consider this.
This was long before smartphones, and I didn't have a PC in my house at that point either. The internet had really only just become a thing a few years prior to that.

Last edited by Hiku - on 08 February 2018

Hiku said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

In case you did not notice, but people have lived in different times. Perhaps because you were born at a certain time, you don't consider this.
This was long before smartphones, and I didn't have a PC in my house at that point either. The internet had really only just become a thing a few years prior to that.

I thought you were speaking of present events, I had no idea you were talking about stuff that happened to you a million years ago. When I saw you were speaking of being at school I assumed you were a student now

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Hiku said:

In case you did not notice, but people have lived in different times. Perhaps because you were born at a certain time, you don't consider this.

I thought you were speaking of present events, I had no idea you were talking about stuff that happened to you a million years ago. When I saw you were speaking of school I assumed you were a student now

Well that's the kind of thing you should always consider before making assertions. ;)

And I actually got my first smartphone a bit later than most people (end of 2011), so I still had to set the clock on my phone up until then. Not sure why it didn't just adjust itself based on the calendar, come to think of it. But that's how it was.

But yeah, that excuse shouldn't work well anymore in this day and age.

Last edited by Hiku - on 08 February 2018

konnichiwa said:

European Parliament pass vote to scrap daylight savings time, European Commission must carry out 'thorough assessment' of clock change

Earlier, the European Parliament voted 384 to 153 in favour of scrapping daylight savings time.

The vote puts pressure on the European Commission to make a decision on the clock change.

MEPs are calling for an end to the EU rule, as studies show the time change can negatively impact people's health.

Source: https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/european-parliament-pass-vote-scrap-11993227   
http://www.ladbible.com/news/uk-eu-politicians-set-to-vote-on-whether-to-scrap-daylight-saving-time-20180204
etc.

It is not scrapped yet but what this means => Worst case => We have a bunch of countries who use summertime , a bunch who use Winter time and others who still use the bi annual time changes.

Best Case scenario: 5 o'clock in London will also be 5 o'clock trough the rest of Europe/(EU)

Even though they scrap DST, they won't scrap timezones...

Flilix said:
Errorist76 said:

I get that, but I don’t understand why someone would willingly want to scrap an additional hour of light in the summertime...why would you want the sun to come up an hour earlier in summer and go down an hour earlier?

We could just get up an hour earlier. It doesn't make sense that the middle of the day for most people is at 3 or 4 PM.

Getting up an hours earlier is pointless if you are working 9-5 and by 4-5pm it is dark.

When you factor in travel to work, you may be home by 6-7pm. It is good having that extra hour or two of light after work to do  things that normally in winter you would say screw it it is too dark CBF.