Tagged games:

Your favourite Souls game?

Demon's Souls 10 33.33%

Dark Souls 7 23.33%

Dark Souls 2 3 10.00%

Bloodborne 8 26.67%

Dark Souls 3 2 6.67%

Total:30

Honestly Bloodborne is the best to me. The atmosphere is on a new level and I love the lovecraftian lore.

I just wish they made the three factions a bit more meaningfull is all.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Demon's has always been my favorite, though I didn't like the way you had to die so many times to affect the world (+1, +2, so forth). I like how the worlds were organized, as well, with 1-1, 1-2, etc...

And it was first, at all of it. I played so many hours and different builds on that game. So obsessed with it at the time.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

freebs2 said:
I agree with everything.

I'll add one more.

Most distance between save points (expecially in the early parts of the game). While single encounters gradually got more difficult with newer entries, the distance between bonfires got shorter. Newer souls games are more about cursing and repeating the same enconter over and over again, Demon is more about the tension of exploring new areas for the risk of losing progress as you go. The fact that if you die you lose about half of HP and world tendency goes darker only adds to that.

The thing about Demon's Souls is not distance between bonfires, is that it only gives you one after you beat both the entire sections plus the boss in one go, if you fail anywhere you don't progress at all.

PwerlvlAmy said:
Azuren said:

Underwhelming compared to some of the best ever made doesn't qualify as bad. I felt 2 was an acceptable distraction, not the worst game ever.

I agree that in itself doesnt make it bad. But from level design to combat like i mentioned, it was just horrible executed and horribly done imo

Dark Souls 2 combat is ok, it's sadly simply too easy to backstab which makes the game a lot easier than it should.

Level design took a major hit from Demon's and specially Dark 1, indeed, both had very clever level design but as it was open world as Dark 1 it failed hardly at holding its ground to it.

Boss fights were mostly easier, but I actually struggled more on Dark 2 than 1.

Dark 1 ONLY hard battle is Gwyn which is the last one, Dark 2 has at least 3 harder bosses than Gwyn, though all are optional (Royal Rat Vanguard, Darklurker and the Ancient Dragon). Boss design and difficulty wise none of the Dark games come close to Demon's, though.

Demon's Souls was a great first step, but the Dark Souls games are much better. After playing the first two Dark Souls games, I loaded up Demon's Souls, and I just couldn't get into it any more. The world and levels seem so bland compared to Dark Souls.

Around the Network
StokedUp said:
Difficulty, I found Demon souls the hardest of the lot but enjoyable.

Level design, the levels were better designed, more craft seemed to be put into them and in some of them it left you feeling lost and raised the atmosphere of the game.

The Hub world. I really liked the Hub world that you went back to and they should of done the same with dark souls.

Yes the Nexus is the best hub world. I'll add it to my list.

BraLoD said:
freebs2 said:
I agree with everything.

I'll add one more.

Most distance between save points (expecially in the early parts of the game). While single encounters gradually got more difficult with newer entries, the distance between bonfires got shorter. Newer souls games are more about cursing and repeating the same enconter over and over again, Demon is more about the tension of exploring new areas for the risk of losing progress as you go. The fact that if you die you lose about half of HP and world tendency goes darker only adds to that.

The thing about Demon's Souls is not distance between bonfires, is that it only gives you one after you beat both the entire sections plus the boss in one go, if you fail anywhere you don't progress at all.

True I haven't thought about that. The thing is there was a risk/reward feel that added a lot to the experience imo.

Exclusivity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

freebs2 said:
BraLoD said:

True I haven't thought about that. The thing is there was a risk/reward feel that added a lot to the experience imo.

I spent so much time trying to beat the red eyed knight that protects Old King Doran door before trying the boss, which means I couldn't still even level up or pick another Archstone.

Then ridiculously long to beat Doran itself asap, doing like 2 or 3 damage and dying from any hit including blocked ones. So much baiting to get him from behind several times lol

Demon's Souls was by far the most difficult and rewarding game of the series, like with the oroginal Diablo its magic was simply never achieved again within the francise, Dark Souls doesn't even compare, like Diablo 2 also don't, as much as anyone wants to tell me (they are great games, though). Except the long farming of flying mantis for cloudstones chunks to upgrade a good shield instead of a bad and less demanding one, platining Demon's Souls was so damn rewarding. Dark Souls, 2 and even Bloodborne doesn't get close.

freebs2 said:
BraLoD said:

Also the boss fights are very interesting and clever.

There was always a nice touch to them aside from just fighting for fighting, thinking about what you were facing was as valuable as having skill.