Your favourite Souls game?

Demon's Souls 10 33.33%

Dark Souls 7 23.33%

Dark Souls 2 3 10.00%

Bloodborne 8 26.67%

Dark Souls 3 2 6.67%

Total:30

BraLoD said:

...Demon's Souls was by far the most difficult and rewarding game of the series...

I'm always honestly surprised when I see other people's experiences that are completely opposite of mine - for me Demon's Souls was by far the easiest one, especially when it comes to bosses.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:

BraLoD said:

...Demon's Souls was by far the most difficult and rewarding game of the series...

I'm always honestly surprised when I see other people's experiences that are completely opposite of mine - for me Demon's Souls was by far the easiest one, especially when it comes to bosses.

That's my line xD

Dark Souls 1 and 2 bosses were mostly a walk in the park, though I also beat a couple of bosses on my first try on Demon's Souls as well.

BraLoD said:
HoloDust said:

That's my line xD

Dark Souls 1 and 2 bosses were mostly a walk in the park, though I also beat a couple of bosses on my first try on Demon's Souls as well.

I guess it porobably has to do with order of play - I've played DS1, tried DS2 (didn't like it), DS3, then went back to DS2 (which is currently my favourite) and finally Demon's.

Last edited by HoloDust - on 09 February 2018

As much as i love Bloodborne i think its unfair to just add it into the souls series. The game itself is jam packed with lore it is its own universe.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

I loved BB, DS2, DS3 and I cant wait to play DS1 Remaster, but I never played Demon's Souls so I really hope we will have remaster for it also.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
freebs2 said:
I agree with everything.

I'll add one more.

Most distance between save points (expecially in the early parts of the game). While single encounters gradually got more difficult with newer entries, the distance between bonfires got shorter. Newer souls games are more about cursing and repeating the same enconter over and over again, Demon is more about the tension of exploring new areas for the risk of losing progress as you go. The fact that if you die you lose about half of HP and world tendency goes darker only adds to that.

The thing about Demon's Souls is not distance between bonfires, is that it only gives you one after you beat both the entire sections plus the boss in one go, if you fail anywhere you don't progress at all.

That's not true. You can open shortcuts.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I saw the thread and wanted to post Astraea's theme, but you beat me to it.

Mnementh said:
BraLoD said:

The thing about Demon's Souls is not distance between bonfires, is that it only gives you one after you beat both the entire sections plus the boss in one go, if you fail anywhere you don't progress at all.

That's not true. You can open shortcuts.

Yes that was the reward for exploring. Demon's Souls had the best levels in the series design wise on the typical basis.

There is the fact that you shift world tendency towards black by dying in human form which added to the risk reward system.

Signalstar said:
Exclusivity

The worst thing about Demon's Souls. I am keeping my PS3 just for this game, I would love to get rid of it. 

I'm going to mention this now since some people have brought it up. While a neat idea in concept, and maybe worth exploring it again with a better fleshed design, World / Character Tendency is absolutely trash in Demon's Souls. If you played online, you were at the mercy of the average Tendency of all the players; if you played offline, good luck figuring out what changes what. Enjoy all the blocked events/loot/characters due to navigation through a neutral/not pure tendency. Seriously, I hated that. It's a mechanic that I haven't missed at all in any of the other games.

I'm not sure if it has been said, but the whole "you gotta die" prologue was also great and probably the best intro in all Souls, even if it is shitty that instead of an impossible battle they just throw you into a "lol killed" cutscene at the end.