By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo looking to support the Switch for more than the traditional 5-6 year period

It is nice to have a dream but unless e are seeing some new games in the next couple years, it will flat line like Wii did towards the end of it's life.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I think it would be cool to see it shrunken down to the size of a thin GBA without removable controllers. They could slide that right analog stick up, drop the face buttons down below, turn the fake d-pad on the left side into a real d-pad, remove all touch screen capabilities/dock port and call it the Switch Micro. A true hardcore handheld in the fashion of the Gameboy legacy. Sell it for $149.99. 

GBA size would give it like a 3-3.5" screen

Something closer to PSP/Vita size with a 4.5-5" screen is more likely.

As long as it would slide into my pocket with ease and not bother me, I'd be happy with it.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I don't know, I don't think they'll have enough ports to do that ...

I think this is good especially if the PS4 ends up lasting say 7 years.

Meh, make ports of the ports. Easy fix. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I can see the Switch having a five to six year life span, going beyond that probably would be only possible similar to as the 3DS is still being supported right now when outside of a few games it is pretty much dead. While I do think both Sony and MS are not going to rush out their new systems any time within the next 3 years, expecting the Switch to go beyond 5-6 is madness unless they plan on doing a "NEW" model with stronger architecture which now that I think about it is probably very much in the cards.

Gradually scaling hardware, like smartphones. Even if we have switch 3 way down the line 6 years from now, the games running on it could still run on the current switch at 480p, for instance. I mean, 480p is fine for a handheld, and mindblowing for a 6 year old one playing current games

Around the Network
TheBraveGallade said:
Gradually scaling hardware, like smartphones. Even if we have switch 3 way down the line 6 years from now, the games running on it could still run on the current switch at 480p, for instance. I mean, 480p is fine for a handheld, and mindblowing for a 6 year old one playing current games

Yeah it wouldnt surprise me to see a PS4 Pro or XB1 X style upgrade every 3-4 years that ditches traditional generations.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Ill believe it when I see it. Hope its true though.

Pagan said:
That makes no sense at all. How to port any games over in 7 years. Forgett 7 years. How to play games in just 3 years?

That totaly make sense because Switch is Nintendo unified platform, and it will have multiply revisons with possibility of Switch Pro/Switch2 or similar that will probably support same games (look at PS4 Pro and Xbox X).

NoirSon said: 
I can see the Switch having a five to six year life span, going beyond that probably would be only possible similar to as the 3DS is still being supported right now when outside of a few games it is pretty much dead. While I do think both Sony and MS are not going to rush out their new systems any time within the next 3 years, expecting the Switch to go beyond 5-6 is madness unless they plan on doing a "NEW" model with stronger architecture which now that I think about it is probably very much in the cards.

Switch compared to 3DS definatly have much more potential for difrent types of hardware and revisions that can expand Switch life span, its also posible that next generation will also be part of Switch platform (Switch 2), where curent Switch would also support same games.

Miyamotoo said:
Pagan said:
That makes no sense at all. How to port any games over in 7 years. Forgett 7 years. How to play games in just 3 years?

That totaly make sense because Switch is Nintendo unified platform, and it will have multiply revisons with possibility of Switch Pro/Switch2 or similar that will probably support same games (look at PS4 Pro and Xbox X).

NoirSon said: 

Switch compared to 3DS definatly have much more potential for difrent types of hardware and revisions that can expand Switch life span, its also posible that next generation will also be part of Switch platform (Switch 2), where curent Switch would also support same games.

Well i would be happy about a switch pro or a switch pro2 but that doenst sound like nintendo style. But on the other hand i remembered a statement from nvidia where they said that the partnership will at least be a decade.

Pagan said:
Miyamotoo said:

Well i would be happy about a switch pro or a switch pro2 but that doenst sound like nintendo style. But on the other hand i remembered a statement from nvidia where they said that the partnership will at least be a decade.

Actually Nintendo first started with upgraded hardware not Sony or MS, dont forget New DS and New 3DS. Yes, Nintendo alredy at end of this year can just use new, more advanced and more efficient Tegra Chip and to basically have better performance of Switch.