Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo looking to support the Switch for more than the traditional 5-6 year period

Here's how I see it working out:

Year 1-4: The Switch is Nintendo's primary console, fully taking advantage of its hybrid nature.

Year 5-6: As Nintendo begins to transition to its next console and the software begins to dry out, the price is aggressively cut and new iterations of the Switch focus consumer attention on its handheld abilities.

Year 7+: The Switch is now Nintendo's secondary console. It is sold for under $100 as a cheap alternative for families just looking to get a popular handheld to their children with a rich library of games available.

Around the Network

Gradually scaling hardware, like smartphones. Even if we have switch 3 way down the line 6 years from now, the games running on it could still run on the current switch at 480p, for instance. I mean, 480p is fine for a handheld, and mindblowing for a 6 year old one playing current games

TheBraveGallade said:
Gradually scaling hardware, like smartphones. Even if we have switch 3 way down the line 6 years from now, the games running on it could still run on the current switch at 480p, for instance. I mean, 480p is fine for a handheld, and mindblowing for a 6 year old one playing current games

Yeah it wouldnt surprise me to see a PS4 Pro or XB1 X style upgrade every 3-4 years that ditches traditional generations.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Ill believe it when I see it. Hope its true though.

dx11332sega said:
It'll outsell ps4 ,ds,ps2 lifetime I think it'll be the first console to reach 200 million maybe even more?

You're getting ahead of yourself here. 

OT: More of a reason I call it a 9th gen machine. Will be interesting to see how far they go with it!

Around the Network
Pagan said:
That makes no sense at all. How to port any games over in 7 years. Forgett 7 years. How to play games in just 3 years?

That totaly make sense because Switch is Nintendo unified platform, and it will have multiply revisons with possibility of Switch Pro/Switch2 or similar that will probably support same games (look at PS4 Pro and Xbox X).

NoirSon said: 
I can see the Switch having a five to six year life span, going beyond that probably would be only possible similar to as the 3DS is still being supported right now when outside of a few games it is pretty much dead. While I do think both Sony and MS are not going to rush out their new systems any time within the next 3 years, expecting the Switch to go beyond 5-6 is madness unless they plan on doing a "NEW" model with stronger architecture which now that I think about it is probably very much in the cards.

Switch compared to 3DS definatly have much more potential for difrent types of hardware and revisions that can expand Switch life span, its also posible that next generation will also be part of Switch platform (Switch 2), where curent Switch would also support same games.

Miyamotoo said:
Pagan said:
That makes no sense at all. How to port any games over in 7 years. Forgett 7 years. How to play games in just 3 years?

That totaly make sense because Switch is Nintendo unified platform, and it will have multiply revisons with possibility of Switch Pro/Switch2 or similar that will probably support same games (look at PS4 Pro and Xbox X).

NoirSon said: 
I can see the Switch having a five to six year life span, going beyond that probably would be only possible similar to as the 3DS is still being supported right now when outside of a few games it is pretty much dead. While I do think both Sony and MS are not going to rush out their new systems any time within the next 3 years, expecting the Switch to go beyond 5-6 is madness unless they plan on doing a "NEW" model with stronger architecture which now that I think about it is probably very much in the cards.

Switch compared to 3DS definatly have much more potential for difrent types of hardware and revisions that can expand Switch life span, its also posible that next generation will also be part of Switch platform (Switch 2), where curent Switch would also support same games.

Well i would be happy about a switch pro or a switch pro2 but that doenst sound like nintendo style. But on the other hand i remembered a statement from nvidia where they said that the partnership will at least be a decade.

Pagan said:
Miyamotoo said:

Well i would be happy about a switch pro or a switch pro2 but that doenst sound like nintendo style. But on the other hand i remembered a statement from nvidia where they said that the partnership will at least be a decade.

Actually Nintendo first started with upgraded hardware not Sony or MS, dont forget New DS and New 3DS. Yes, Nintendo alredy at end of this year can just use new, more advanced and more efficient Tegra Chip and to basically have better performance of Switch.

I hope he means it. I like things that last. But "support" can also mean a lot of things.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

garretslarrity said:
I hope he means it. I like things that last. But "support" can also mean a lot of things.

When Sony, MS or Nintendo say support for some console, that on first place means support with games off course.