Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo looking to support the Switch for more than the traditional 5-6 year period

NightlyPoe said:

Here's how I see it working out:

Year 1-4: The Switch is Nintendo's primary console, fully taking advantage of its hybrid nature.

Year 5-6: As Nintendo begins to transition to its next console and the software begins to dry out, the price is aggressively cut and new iterations of the Switch focus consumer attention on its handheld abilities.

Year 7+: The Switch is now Nintendo's secondary console. It is sold for under $100 as a cheap alternative for families just looking to get a popular handheld to their children with a rich library of games available.

Yep.  This is how Nintendo almost always does it, at least when their console is successful.  I am kicking myself that I moved onto the SNES so quickly and didn't even look at the NES again.  The NES got a lot of great games even after the SNES was released.

The real weird exception is the Wii.  I have no idea why Nintendo stopped supporting the Wii.  I can only guess that they thought the 3ds and Wii U would be so successful that they didn't need the Wii anymore.  (Of course they were obviously dead wrong.)



Around the Network

Countless hardware revisions incoming. I wonder whether they're going to be incremental updates, like new 3ds or full blown XB1X style.



Pagan said:

Well i would be happy about a switch pro or a switch pro2 but that doenst sound like nintendo style. But on the other hand i remembered a statement from nvidia where they said that the partnership will at least be a decade.

It would be exactly Nintendo's style, actually. The Gameboy Color, Nintendo DSi and New 3DS all were faster versions of existing platforms, just like the PS4 Pro. The only handheld that never got a stronger iteration was the GBA and that was probably because its life was cut short by the PSP announcement (Nintendo rushed the original DS to market so Sony wouldn't get a head start with the PSP). 



Make sense, especially if they're consolidating around one hardware line, and can continue to grow their mobile, online and licensing divisions. Given EPD launched several major projects last year, a 7-10 year life-span for one hardware line should guarantee a couple more major waves of EPD titles, not to mention Nintendo's other studios.



Well, if there isn't a Switch Pro coming, i highly doubt Switch can continue to be competitive. And even then, it better be indeed a PRO. Sooner or later, MS and Sony will be releasing new consoles and the gap between Switch and those consoles might be so big that porting to Switch is no longer financially viable. Unless it's ports and more ports, for years to come.



Around the Network
DélioPT said:
Well, if there isn't a Switch Pro coming, i highly doubt Switch can continue to be competitive. And even then, it better be indeed a PRO. Sooner or later, MS and Sony will be releasing new consoles and the gap between Switch and those consoles might be so big that porting to Switch is no longer financially viable. Unless it's ports and more ports, for years to come.

It's already spanking the XBX and PS4 Pro with WiiU ports, what makes you think Nintendo's success depends on horsepower?

If 4K can't beat portability, what makes you think 8K will?



Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Why would the Nintendo president say otherwise? Maybe I'm missing something here, but console manufacturers stop supporting a system because of other factors in the industry (read: competition). Of course Nintendo would like to support the Switch longer, but if sales are declining they will need to move on. Also, in five years, aren't you going to want Nintendo to come up with something new? The Switch is going to feel uway underpowered by that time.



RaptorChrist said:
Why would the Nintendo president say otherwise? Maybe I'm missing something here, but console manufacturers stop supporting a system because of other factors in the industry (read: competition). Of course Nintendo would like to support the Switch longer, but if sales are declining they will need to move on. Also, in five years, aren't you going to want Nintendo to come up with something new? The Switch is going to feel uway underpowered by that time.

I think they mean more the brand to be honest. Like in 3 years we could have an upgraded Switch like xbox one x



Pyro as Bill said:
DélioPT said:
Well, if there isn't a Switch Pro coming, i highly doubt Switch can continue to be competitive. And even then, it better be indeed a PRO. Sooner or later, MS and Sony will be releasing new consoles and the gap between Switch and those consoles might be so big that porting to Switch is no longer financially viable. Unless it's ports and more ports, for years to come.

It's already spanking the XBX and PS4 Pro with WiiU ports, what makes you think Nintendo's success depends on horsepower?

If 4K can't beat portability, what makes you think 8K will?

Comparing Switch with variants isn't a fair comparison.

I'm comparing Switch to PS5 and XB4.
By the time that happens, portability won't hold as much strength as it holds today. Specially against way, way better consoles.
And as i said, if both consoles are another leap, then it will be really hard for Nintendo to convince 3rd parties to port their games to Switch.



Yeah that seems likely me a good idea. Short life cycles hurt profits.