Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo looking to support the Switch for more than the traditional 5-6 year period

They can keep supporting it past 5 to 6 years ala 3DS, but I hope the successor doesn't take any longer than that to release. Otherwise the system is going to just be way too dated in terms of horsepower. You have to figure by 2023 it will be a full decade since the PS4/XBONE release, systems Switch isn't even on par with. I'm certainly no graphics nut, but there's only so long they can get away with something that behind in power.

Around the Network

Proof that they always considered it a handheld from the beginning.

Seems like a good commitment to the system, now let's see it really happening. And with that they have more chance to reach PS4 sales LT.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

AlfredoTurkey said:

I really don't see that as proof of that at all. Just more proof that they see it as a successor to both and are now putting all their chips one console.

newwil7l said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I really don't see that as proof of that at all. Just more proof that they see it as a successor to both and are now putting all their chips one console.

They told us "it's a home console that you can take with you, not a handheld that plugs into your tv". If that's the case. If it's a home console, then it should have a home consoles lifespan. They've been releasing home consoles for more than thirty years and have always replaced them every five to six years. If they change that now, it's pretty easy to deduce what their mindset is because their handhelds have always... get what? Had longer lifespans. 1+1

Around the Network

The Switch is also a platform that is very scalable. They can build much more powerful iterations, and also multiple form factors.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

As long as good games keep trickling down through out that life cycle,fine with me

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

AlfredoTurkey said:

Or maybe they consider it as what it really is......a hybrid

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Or maybe they consider it as what it really is......a hybrid

That's now what they said.

AlfredoTurkey said:
newwil7l said:

They told us "it's a home console that you can take with you, not a handheld that plugs into your tv". If that's the case. If it's a home console, then it should have a home consoles lifespan. They've been releasing home consoles for more than thirty years and have always replaced them every five to six years. If they change that now, it's pretty easy to deduce what their mindset is because their handhelds have always... get what? Had longer lifespans. 1+1

The only handheld with a longer lifecycle than six years was the Game Boy.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club