By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo online subscription to start in September.

And it begins D:

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

And, another nail in the coffin for me. At this point, I'm in the doorway, looking out. Growing up as a kid in the 80's, I've watched the industry go from plug and play to... something else. Whether it's good, bad or somewhere in the middle one thing we can all agree on... it's entirely different. Streaming services, digital distribution, pay-to-play-online, DLC, chopping up games to sell in small chunks down the line, shipping buggy games and using consumers as beta testers, Amiibo.... it doesn't even resemble the industry I fell in love with so long ago. 

To me, it's like a marriage. Sure, you can stick it out. You can pretend that she's still the woman you met. You can push through, trying desperately to hold onto something for the sake of doing so... for the sake of those vows you made decades ago. But you know it and so does she... whatever there was that initially got you into it, it's no longer there. In its place is an imposter. Something different. Something else.

Sorry to get all prose on your guys. But, gaming has been a big part of my life and everything from the companies making and selling them, to the hardware, to the people playing them... it's all changed and what I loved about it is gone.

You know, i'm sure people are going to come in here and ridicule you for this post for being a "hipster" or just not knowing da wey, but this is actually really articulate and well thought out. I might not agree with you completely, but I can respect this and it actually made me a little sad. I hope you can find fun in your hobby again soon. 

Wow! They are really pushing this back. I hope this means that they are adding and imporving this service by A LOT.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

killeryoshis said:
Medisti said:

Why exactly should it be free? Servers aren't free to maintain.

PC gaming has online it for free doesn't it? I can still play Civilization IV online games free of charge.

Honestly the only good thing about this is that it forces Nintendo to make a good online system. Maybe by the end of 9th generation we will have a robust online system.  

I better get my fill of Splatoon 2 before this trial is up. I don;t think I can play online for just one game now.

PC is an open platform and each PC can also function like a server as well negating the need for dedicated servers something consoles can't really do which is why online is free on the platform.

AlfredoTurkey said:

And, another nail in the coffin for me. At this point, I'm in the doorway, looking out. Growing up as a kid in the 80's, I've watched the industry go from plug and play to... something else. Whether it's good, bad or somewhere in the middle one thing we can all agree on... it's entirely different. Streaming services, digital distribution, pay-to-play-online, DLC, chopping up games to sell in small chunks down the line, shipping buggy games and using consumers as beta testers, Amiibo.... it doesn't even resemble the industry I fell in love with so long ago. 

To me, it's like a marriage. Sure, you can stick it out. You can pretend that she's still the woman you met. You can push through, trying desperately to hold onto something for the sake of doing so... for the sake of those vows you made decades ago. But you know it and so does she... whatever there was that initially got you into it, it's no longer there. In its place is an imposter. Something different. Something else.

Sorry to get all prose on your guys. But, gaming has been a big part of my life and everything from the companies making and selling them, to the hardware, to the people playing them... it's all changed and what I loved about it is gone.

I’m unsure why you think the 80s were better than today. The issues you’re complaining about were either there in other forms or MUCH worse.

Games in the 80s were FULL of bugs, including everything from crashes to corrupt save data/save erasing for RPGs

In the 80s, instead of DLC they would sell short games and short sequels because DLC was not possible. Most games were under an hour long and didn’t even have saves, but they all cost more than they do today.

Games in the 80s didn’t have online either. So since you want things to be more like the 80s, ignore online completely, and then you have no reason to pay for premium online features.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

For $20 year + downloadable classic games it's not a bad deal at all considering PSN / XBL are $60/yr, and a Netflix subscription is $120/yr and going up. I just hope the service and especially the mobile app don't completely suck.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

It was only a matter of time... Ugh! I'm hoping online modes are not locked out and instead, paying for online, for example, allows you to vote on stages for online multiplayer or unlocks cool cosmetic stuff while still leaving online play free... We'll see.

Well, at least gives splatoon some more breathing room until a chunk of player base (including me) is cutoff. I'm not paying the online fee for one game, even if it's just $1.67 a month.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

cycycychris said:
Medisti said:

Why exactly should it be free? Servers aren't free to maintain.

Some services should be paid. Having the ability to have cloud save is something that is a premium. But the ability to simply play online is not. It has never been until they saw that its nothing but bucket loads of money for something that cost minimal to run. Not to mention third parties run server for tons of games but never get a dime, its just pure profit

Again I must state, a companion smartphone app, that could be paid, maybe voice chat, and cloud saves. But the plain ability to play online should be free.

xMetroid said:

I mean if it took that long it's probably cause its bringing something to the table. 

They might sweeten the the deal a bit more, but the fact still stands that online gaming should be free.

But, based on what, exactly? Saying PC gaming is free doesn't mean it "should" be free. It's very nice it is, and would be awesome if it was free on every console, but it seems a bit entitled to say it should be.

cycycychris said:
Medisti said:

But, based on what, exactly? Saying PC gaming is free doesn't mean it "should" be free. It's very nice it is, and would be awesome if it was free on every console, but it seems a bit entitled to say it should be.

Never mention PC gaming and I think its perfectly reasonable what I propose.

Someone else who quoted me did. I was addressing both at once.

I think all games should be free. I bought the console. So, I should get the software for free.