By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo online subscription to start in September.

Conina said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

In the 80's and 90's the model was simple. Buy one console which was stagnant and unchanging (internally) for five or six years and then buy complete games, fully tested which worked the moment you put them into your console. No charging controllers. No day one patches. No console updates. No DLC. Nothing. You bought a console, you hooked it up and then played the fucking games which worked instantly when you hit the power button. Simple. Easy. 

What we have now? It's not even recognizable. Now, whether that's better or not is subjective and up to each person's views and opinions. But it certainly isn't the same industry or business model anymore. That's my point. 

Well, you can ignore DLCs and online modes in most modern games, too, if the single player experience is good enough for you . And the download of game patches and firmware updates are free.

You also don't have to worry about charging controllers if you don't mind a cable between console and controller. just connect the wireless controller with an USB-cable to the console (works for PS3, PS4 and Xbox controller) or connect a wired controller (works for Xbox 360 and even the Switch with a cheap adapter). 

But if you WANT to play multiplayer games online on consoles, it wasn't free in the past either. You needed an additional modem for $100+ and/or had to pay the dial-up telephone costs (which were a lot more than $2 - $5 per month for an online subscription nowadays) and blocked the telephone line for the whole family in some setups.

And if you WANT the added comfort of wireless controllers of course you have to charge them occasionally.

My point is, everything that I loved about gaming is dead or on life support and as a result, so is my marriage to it. Thats all.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

My point is, everything that I loved about gaming is dead or on life support and as a result, so is my marriage to it. Thats all.

No big problem for your wife. She seems to have enough other suitors who like her changes. She can't please everyone.

AlfredoTurkey said:

And, another nail in the coffin for me. At this point, I'm in the doorway, looking out. Growing up as a kid in the 80's, I've watched the industry go from plug and play to... something else. Whether it's good, bad or somewhere in the middle one thing we can all agree on... it's entirely different. Streaming services, digital distribution, pay-to-play-online, DLC, chopping up games to sell in small chunks down the line, shipping buggy games and using consumers as beta testers, Amiibo.... it doesn't even resemble the industry I fell in love with so long ago. 

To me, it's like a marriage. Sure, you can stick it out. You can pretend that she's still the woman you met. You can push through, trying desperately to hold onto something for the sake of doing so... for the sake of those vows you made decades ago. But you know it and so does she... whatever there was that initially got you into it, it's no longer there. In its place is an imposter. Something different. Something else.

Sorry to get all prose on your guys. But, gaming has been a big part of my life and everything from the companies making and selling them, to the hardware, to the people playing them... it's all changed and what I loved about it is gone.

You've summed up my feelings pretty well. I am able to find enough in the current industry that I like, but there's much more in the current industry that simply does not resonate with me as a gamer anymore.

20$ for a year is nothing...that's like the price for a Long island Ice Tea at the bar in my country.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Conina said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

No big problem for your wife. She seems to have enough other suitors who like her changes. She can't please everyone.

May I ask... what personal interest you have in my personal interest, or lack thereof, in modern gaming?

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
Conina said:

May I ask... what personal interest you have in my personal interest, or lack thereof, in modern gaming?

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn if you can enjoy modern games or not.

But complaining in internet forums about any changes in gaming since the glory days of the NES & SNES won't turn the time back.

Does anyone here subscribe to the idea that Nintendo will use a Smash 4 port to push the online on September? I can't believe Nintendo will just suddenly start charging for online without some game to convince us to pay. I think it would be a cheap and effective way to get us to pay. Also we have been begging for a good Smash game that has good online since 2008.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Conina said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn if you can enjoy modern games or not.

But complaining in internet forums about any changes in gaming since the glory days of the NES & SNES won't turn the time back.

The fact that you took the time to not only reply to me, but quote everything I said smacks in the face of your claim that you "frankly" don't care. Seems to me that actually care a lot. For what reason, I don't know. 

I'd think about that if I were you. It's not healthy to find yourself so emotionally triggered by someones opinions about their own life. 

CladInShadows said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

And, another nail in the coffin for me. At this point, I'm in the doorway, looking out. Growing up as a kid in the 80's, I've watched the industry go from plug and play to... something else. Whether it's good, bad or somewhere in the middle one thing we can all agree on... it's entirely different. Streaming services, digital distribution, pay-to-play-online, DLC, chopping up games to sell in small chunks down the line, shipping buggy games and using consumers as beta testers, Amiibo.... it doesn't even resemble the industry I fell in love with so long ago. 

To me, it's like a marriage. Sure, you can stick it out. You can pretend that she's still the woman you met. You can push through, trying desperately to hold onto something for the sake of doing so... for the sake of those vows you made decades ago. But you know it and so does she... whatever there was that initially got you into it, it's no longer there. In its place is an imposter. Something different. Something else.

Sorry to get all prose on your guys. But, gaming has been a big part of my life and everything from the companies making and selling them, to the hardware, to the people playing them... it's all changed and what I loved about it is gone.

You've summed up my feelings pretty well. I am able to find enough in the current industry that I like, but there's much more in the current industry that simply does not resonate with me as a gamer anymore.

I think I was in your mindset for quiet a few years before I arrived here. Hopefully you can find enough to remain in the game (no pun intended) for the rest of your life. I wish I could but, I just... *sigh*

I think for me it started to become obvious that my time was about up when the idea of playing Super Metroid or Contra Hard Corps. on my SNES and Genesis was more exciting than new AAA games. That, and the ugliness of the community now. There are some good people on here and within the community but for every one of them, there are hundreds of mentally unstable, socially unadjusted people who... idk... I just don't relate to that at all. I just can't relate to the idea of this all being life and death important. Back in the day (and by back in the day I mean 80's and 90's) playing games was just something we did for fun. Now, it's like... a religion and a lot of the people are way too obsessed and wrecked over it. I don't understand that whole thing.

AlfredoTurkey said:
CladInShadows said:

I think I was in your mindset for quiet a few years before I arrived here. Hopefully you can find enough to remain in the game (no pun intended) for the rest of your life. I wish I could but, I just... *sigh*

I think for me it started to become obvious that my time was about up when the idea of playing Super Metroid or Contra Hard Corps. on my SNES and Genesis was more exciting than new AAA games. That, and the ugliness of the community now. There are some good people on here and within the community but for every one of them, there are hundreds of mentally unstable, socially unadjusted people who... idk... I just don't relate to that at all. I just can't relate to the idea of this all being life and death important. Back in the day (and by back in the day I mean 80's and 90's) playing games was just something we did for fun. Now, it's like... a religion and a lot of the people are way too obsessed and wrecked over it. I don't understand that whole thing.

I think we're a lot closer than you think.  When I say I find enough in the current industry, I'm talking more indie games and games with that old school mindset (Soulsborne jumps to mind).  I get the same feeling for games like Super Metroid.  But I also get similar feelings for the newer (but still aesthetically 16 bit) metroidvanias, or the JRPGs that hearken back to the old days. I tend not to play too many AAA games.  The industry practices, and the games themselves, simply don't draw me in very much. That being said, I'm still on Team Nintendo.  Games like the new Zelda or Mario still get me excited. The new Metroid Prime will get me excited.  But that's as close to being a fan of AAA games as I tend to get.

I get not relating to many gamers on the internet.  Maybe it's an age thing, or maybe I just have real life to deal with and gaming is that thing I really enjoy doing in my spare time.  Whatever it is, I can certainly find it tiring to witness some of the conversations, arguments, and "wars" on here.  It's probably why my post count is so low.  I just can't be bothered to get as emotionally invested in some of this stuff as others are.

I don't really know what point I'm trying to make other than I feel you bro.  I don't know if I will ever step away completely from the hobby.  But I do know that I am not the main priority of the "gaming industry" anymore. But there's just enough for me to be interested still, even if it is only a small portion of the games released these days. I hope you're able to find that too.