By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo online subscription to start in September.

Bandorr said:
So $20 a year. For service that has to go complicated routes to simply get voice chat, and lobbies. In which the "value" is playing 30, almost 40 year old games that used to be part of VC? Odds of them offering discounts like PS or XB1? I'd say very, very low. If it makes Mario Kart stop crashing so constantly I'd still consider it.

You missing main point about Switch online, and thats a playing games online, $20 for hole year is low price for playing online, I mean one AAA games costs $60 so we talking only about 1/3 of that price for hole year.

And actually you will have some other benefits, like classic games with online play and eShop deals.

Kerotan said: 
NightDragon83 said: 
For $20 year + downloadable classic games it's not a bad deal at all considering PSN / XBL are $60/yr, and a Netflix subscription is $120/yr and going up. I just hope the service and especially the mobile app don't completely suck.

Well at least with ps plus we get more then just classic games . Mgsv, just cause 3, deus ex and bstmah telltale in the last 3 months alone . 

Yeah, but also PS Plus is 3x more expensive than Switch online will be.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Miyamotoo said:

You missing main point about Switch online, and thats a playing games online, $20 for hole year is low price for playing online, I mean one AAA games costs $60 so we talking only about 1/3 of that price for hole year.

And actually you will have some other benefits, like classic games with online play and eShop deals.

Yeah, but also PS Plus is 3x more expensive than Switch online will be.

You say E-shop deals, but I have yet to read that anywhere. So any sources for that?

Also your argument is flawed. Your argument is "its only $20, so who cares". That is a horrible argument.  Something has to be worth a value. As in "this is what is worth $20". Going "it is just 1/3 of a game" isn't an argument for it.

E-shop deals would be an argument for it. Assuming it isn't just $1 off random old-indies.

That's actually official.

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

No its not terible argument, $20 for hole year in order to play games online and you get other benefits, like classic games with online play and eShop deals, is not to much at all, we talking only about 1/3 of that price for hole year.

Bandorr said:
Miyamotoo said:

That's actually official.

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

No its not terible argument, $20 for hole year in order to play games online and you get other benefits, like classic games with online play and eShop deals, is not to much at all, we talking only about 1/3 of that price for hole year.

Whole. The world is whole. As in complete.   The "classic games" are 30 and 40 year old games that USED to be part of the virtual console.  So they better be offering a whole hell of a lot more than just Mario 3 and Doctor Mario.

Specially considering they have to release an app to allow voice chat.

And yes I see"Nintendo eShop deals" mentioned. Sadly they go into no details about that.  That could make it worth it. Very likely doubt it though.  I can't see nintendo ever discounting their big games. Instead probably just discounts off virtual console games.

But you do realise that games like Mario 3 and Doctor Mario had price of $5 each of the virtual console!? So classic games with online functionality are bonus for Switch online, they are not main point of Switch online for $20 per year.

My guess is Animal Crossing will launch in October as the showcase title for the new online service. 

killeryoshis said:
Does anyone here subscribe to the idea that Nintendo will use a Smash 4 port to push the online on September? I can't believe Nintendo will just suddenly start charging for online without some game to convince us to pay. I think it would be a cheap and effective way to get us to pay. Also we have been begging for a good Smash game that has good online since 2008.

I think most people believe that to be the case.

They will need a big name online multiplayer game to really get people to buy into the online subscription. They already blew out two potential pushers with the Mario Kart 8 DX and Splatoon 2, of their own home grown software, a new Smash Bros and maybe Animal Crossing (depending on how they set it up this time) are the only major titles Nintendo could use to push subscription as a must have in the fall of 2018.

There is also the thin possibility they are working with a major third party and will have a Switch port of a major multiplayer game available in the fall. But that is a very thin and unlikely possibility.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

And, another nail in the coffin for me. At this point, I'm in the doorway, looking out. Growing up as a kid in the 80's, I've watched the industry go from plug and play to... something else. Whether it's good, bad or somewhere in the middle one thing we can all agree on... it's entirely different. Streaming services, digital distribution, pay-to-play-online, DLC, chopping up games to sell in small chunks down the line, shipping buggy games and using consumers as beta testers, Amiibo.... it doesn't even resemble the industry I fell in love with so long ago. 

To me, it's like a marriage. Sure, you can stick it out. You can pretend that she's still the woman you met. You can push through, trying desperately to hold onto something for the sake of doing so... for the sake of those vows you made decades ago. But you know it and so does she... whatever there was that initially got you into it, it's no longer there. In its place is an imposter. Something different. Something else.

Sorry to get all prose on your guys. But, gaming has been a big part of my life and everything from the companies making and selling them, to the hardware, to the people playing them... it's all changed and what I loved about it is gone.

Growing up as a kid in the 90s, I couldn't play any console games with someone more than 10 feet away. 

If that's the experience you're after, feel free to not pay for Switch Online, and you can enjoy that 80's experience.  If not, then for the price of about two fast food meals, you can play with people across the world.

Smash Bros isn’t the most compelling IP for this, IMO. It’s not a very fun game to play online; Fighters generally aren’t terribly fun online, it’s kind of a bell/whistle add-on feature. Pokemon would be the best IP to launch the online service with, there are WAY more opportunities to show off features. Animal Crossing, I love the idea of what can be done with an online game, but it has to be a lot better than Pocket Camp, more robust than New Leaf (New Leafs online was decent, but I found it ran out of steam after a couple of months).

Fire Emblem is all but confirmed as one of the launch/window titles for the online service given the comments about how the team is paying attention to Heroes and asking the players what sort of features they want to see in future Future Emblem games.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 03 February 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Smash Bros isn’t the most compelling IP for this, IMO. It’s not a very fun game to play online; Fighters generally aren’t terribly fun online, it’s kind of a bell/whistle add-on feature. Pokemon would be the best IP to launch the online service with, there are WAY more opportunities to show off features. Animal Crossing, I love the idea of what can be done with an online game, but it has to be a lot better than Pocket Camp, more robust than New Leaf (New Leafs online was decent, but I found it ran out of steam after a couple of months).

Fire Emblem is all but confirmed as one of the launch/window titles for the online service given the comments about how the team is paying attention to Heroes and asking the players what sort of features they want to see in future Future Emblem games.

Smash Bros. is most popular Nintendo IP for playing online after MK and third is Splatoon, fact that MK8D and Splatoon2 is already out offcourse that most make sense that launch online with strongest online IP thats not out year.