By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gameware Stops Selling Xbox Systems in Reaction to Recent Game Pass Announcement

Errorist76 said:
jason1637 said:
Digital > Physical.

Only for game sharing and certain deals. I must admit PSN deals have been great lately. I know I'll regret going digital when I want to sell the console at the latest.

That said, if PS5 ends up being backwards compatible, which I assume it will, all will be good. 

I like digital overall for games. Only time I buy a game disk is when a game is on sale for like $20. Besides that every game is get is digital now.

Around the Network
Seventizz said:
Kerotan said:

It doesn't sell much in Austria so maybe they don't know. 

If Sony make a retailer friendly console with the ps5 and Microsoft keeps going digital they'll really push the playstation in their stores. 

Numbers and trends aren’t favoriting physical anymore.  Digital gains grow every year.  Sony risks looking old fashioned if they stress the physical medium. 

Sony have a great digital and physical offering. They sell a shit ton digitally. But they don't alienate stores like ms are now trying to do. This is nothing new. Microsoft tried to kill used game sales.. Sony saved the retailers bacon. 

LudicrousSpeed said:
flashfire926 said:

Physical copies arent going away.

Used games arent going away.

The ability to outright own the game digitally isnt going away.

So how is this another edition of always online drm?

It's not, that's just FUD. Strange, I don't recall this type of FUD here concerning PS Now or PS+ games you get with the service.

Kerotan said:

It doesn't sell much in Austria so maybe they don't know. 

So they're a gaming specialty store and maybe don't know Xbone plays physical games. Then they'd obviously have much larger issues than Game Pass and will be Blockbuster'd soon enough.

It was obviously a joke. 

I certainly don't blame the retailer. It does feel like they're fighting a trend they can't stop, but one cannot expect a person to sell a device that aims to make them irrelevant.

Personally, I'd be willing to pay a bit extra for physical media to persist, but Microsoft and Sony have very clearly been trending towards downloads and streaming for a while now. Wouldn't be surprised if the next consoles were primarily streaming devices at this point.

smroadkill15 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Forever? You mean, for as long as your HDD works and the servers exist to "serve" them back to you when it happens.

What if my console breaks, disc breaks, disc gets stolen, etc? Neither is future proof. At least if my console breaks, or HDD stops working, I can still download the game if I get a new one. If my disc breaks there is really nothing that can be done unless it's still under warranty.  

Correct. I dont understand why many still believe physical is better and safer. You have a much bigger chance on all of the above happening than the Digital code to stop working. 

There are literally no benefits owning physical unless you want to resell them. And if you love your games you won't want to sell them and if you still like selling your games than Game Pass actually works better for them.

Azzanation said:
smroadkill15 said:

What if my console breaks, disc breaks, disc gets stolen, etc? Neither is future proof. At least if my console breaks, or HDD stops working, I can still download the game if I get a new one. If my disc breaks there is really nothing that can be done unless it's still under warranty.  

Correct. I dont understand why many still believe physical is better and safer. You have a much bigger chance on all of the above happening than the Digital code to stop working. 

There are literally no benefits owning physical unless you want to resell them. And if you love your games you won't want to sell them and if you still like selling your games than Game Pass actually works better for them.

If there is a game I really want I will buy the physical version. I still like buying CD's lol, but I understand the benefit of digital. I love Netflix and other services like it. I welcome Game Pass with open arms.  

Around the Network

Pretty soon he won't be selling anything because nobody will be leaving the house to go to a "gameware". Ive only bought 1 physical game this generation.

halil23 said:
Since retails hardly make profits from consoles and they won't able to sell games, that understandable. So I hope other retails follow suits. And I hope Nintendo/Sony doesn't follow m$ awful anti-retail strategy

"Anti-retail strategy" why would you care about retail lmao...what they did was pro consumer. 

Great thing about physical is when a game breaks it's one title and not your entire collection. The case, manual, even the cart is often still worth money after the game stops working. Atari and NES games by and large still work like a charm with a good cleaning. In 35 years, will Microsoft still be supporting the 360 and XBO servers? Even a small collection of physical games can be worth several thousands of dollars.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

I don't understand. Sounds like this retailer is ignorant to how Game Pass works. The games actually rotate out, so it's okay to still sell them at full price. I know this is in Europe, and Xbox isn't the hottest commodity there, but I think they should see how this move affects sales before making such a rash decision.

I was going to chime in on the physical > digital bandwagon. Then I remembered that Xbox and PS are just PCs that require you to installera the games anyway, in that case there is no point in physical games (unless you live in the US, since your ISPs seem retarded and have data caps for the amount of downloaded data).