By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gameware Stops Selling Xbox Systems in Reaction to Recent Game Pass Announcement

Physical > Digital

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Did anyone tell them Xbox still usesphysical copies of games? lol

It doesn't sell much in Austria so maybe they don't know. 

If Sony make a retailer friendly console with the ps5 and Microsoft keeps going digital they'll really push the playstation in their stores. 

Numbers and trends aren’t favoriting physical anymore.  Digital gains grow every year.  Sony risks looking old fashioned if they stress the physical medium. 

DonFerrari said:
flashfire926 said:

You have any instances where the game is stripped away from you?

Barring the shutting down of online servers, of course.

P.T. was shut down and impossible to download again. And it isn't the sole case on the world of you not being able to redownload.

Sony update on the XBR tvs will remove gameloft support so games you bought but don't have downloaded will be unplayable.

You can be banned from XBL and lose access to all your games...

The possibilities are infinite.

I mean, isnt it the persons choice to delete pt or not? Im sure as long as they dont delete it, they have it. I might be wrong though.

Fair enough, there is that 1% risk that something could happen leading to the being taken away (though if you did something ban-worthy on any console (for example hacking), I would say you deserve to lose all your games......)

edit: just realized gameloft games are free....so people arent really losing out much in any of these instances.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Megaoverlord12 said:
Well, then they'll just buy Xboxes from Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Toys R Us, or Amazon. I get what they're trying to do, but I think it'll be a while before this specifically takes out a large chunk of Xbox software sales.

If Game Pass takes off and Sony/Nintendo follow suit, all of those you mentioned will likely do the same. There's simply no point in stocking hardware when no one is going to buy games for it in your store. The game industry has always made its money off software.

I would like to specify, it'll take a while. I fully expect it eventually. It will just take quite a while for digital initiatives like this to replace retail, not to mention that this contains just a fraction of the Xbox One library. Doing this is jumping the gun massively. Besides, retailers are still massively important to Xbox (and PlayStation/Nintendo). If it was a major retailer, like Gamestop or whatever, in a major market for Xbox, like the US, then it'd be a massive deal.

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

flashfire926 said:
Errorist76 said:

Gotta love this. Totally understandable. MS want all the money and control for themselves. And they're willing to walk over corpses for it. Again. (Just another edition of always online DRM, just with a bit more butt kissing)

MS probably won't care though. They'll just sell those things directly bundled for 50 Dollars or so, as usual.

Physical copies arent going away.

Used games arent going away.

The ability to outright own the game digitally isnt going away.

So how is this another edition of always online drm?

It's not, that's just FUD. Strange, I don't recall this type of FUD here concerning PS Now or PS+ games you get with the service.

Kerotan said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Did anyone tell them Xbox still usesphysical copies of games? lol

It doesn't sell much in Austria so maybe they don't know. 

So they're a gaming specialty store and maybe don't know Xbone plays physical games. Then they'd obviously have much larger issues than Game Pass and will be Blockbuster'd soon enough.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
Errorist76 said:

"The ability to outright own the game digitally isnt going away."

No one buying a game digitally is owning the game. You're only owning the rights to use it.

And yes, Netflix and Spotify for that matter are bad for the respective industry.

Well, youre owning the rights of the game forever, which is basically owning the game.

edit: so does that mean amazon is greedy and selfish was going over sears (and proably macy's and jcpenney's soon enough) corpse, as well as many other stores?

fyi: this is how business works.

Forever? You mean, for as long as your HDD works and the servers exist to "serve" them back to you when it happens.

AlfredoTurkey said:
flashfire926 said:

Well, youre owning the rights of the game forever, which is basically owning the game.

edit: so does that mean amazon is greedy and selfish was going over sears (and proably macy's and jcpenney's soon enough) corpse, as well as many other stores?

Forever? You mean, for as long as your HDD works and the servers exist to "serve" them back to you when it happens.

What if my console breaks, disc breaks, disc gets stolen, etc? Neither is future proof. At least if my console breaks, or HDD stops working, I can still download the game if I get a new one. If my disc breaks there is really nothing that can be done unless it's still under warranty.  

More not going to store madness. People are so lazy. Going shopping is fun. Laziness is hurting the economy.

Gamer147 said:
More not going to store madness. People are so lazy. Going shopping is fun. Laziness is hurting the economy.

You still buy CD/DVDs?  Are you a Netflix subscriber?

AlfredoTurkey said:
flashfire926 said:

Forever? You mean, for as long as your HDD works and the servers exist to "serve" them back to you when it happens.well

well, you do know you can sign into another xbox and gameshare with yourself, right? 

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.