By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Worldwide Xbox One sales dropped below Xbox 360 in 2017

endimion said:
Not sure i get the quote... Did it drôles under 360 year over year in sales.... Or total sales since launch... Big diff

Then with the 360 you have to account for the RRoD replacement purchase... Not everyone was under warranty when it happened to them...

But regardless of unit sales number.. There is almost no doubt that XBox one is a commercial success especially considering how it started... Sure not what initially expected and not compared to PS4... And pretty sure it will still be more profitable in the end than the 360... It is for now... And that's what really matters this gen for the one...

LTD

And funny enough PS3 started even worse, reached the 90M but people pretend it's a commercial failure  because it didn't reach 160M of PS2.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
endimion said:
Not sure i get the quote... Did it drôles under 360 year over year in sales.... Or total sales since launch... Big diff

Then with the 360 you have to account for the RRoD replacement purchase... Not everyone was under warranty when it happened to them...

But regardless of unit sales number.. There is almost no doubt that XBox one is a commercial success especially considering how it started... Sure not what initially expected and not compared to PS4... And pretty sure it will still be more profitable in the end than the 360... It is for now... And that's what really matters this gen for the one...

LTD

And funny enough PS3 started even worse, reached the 90M but people pretend it's a commercial failure  because it didn't reach 160M of PS2.

You know the X1 will profit better than the PS3 at the end of its life and it will do so with less hardware sales. That would be proof Sales dont matter to a buisness as much as many in here take it as religion. 

Its all about the bank and the PS3 hurt Sony a lot, its been said PS3 lost Sony $5b which is more than the Dreamcast and Originally Xbox if true.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 04 February 2018

Sixteenvolt420 said:
The only reason that the 360 sold so well, was because of the beginning on the gen blunders by Sony, imo. That turned most people to Xbox, even though PS3 caught up in sales, by the end of the gen.

The Xbox 360 also had these things called "exclusives" that it simply doesn't have now.

When Halo 3 dropped... Every gaming circle, heck the media were talking about it, the records that were being broken... And it was the most played online game for a long time until it was dethroned by one of the Call of Duty titles. (And then Major Nelson stopped listing the most played games on his blog.)
It was a must-have title, Xbox 360 sales increased after that one single game.

The Xbox 360 was also cheaper and was just as capable as the Playstation 3.
It's almost the reverse of this gen, The Playstation 4 released, was also cheaper and was more capable than the Xbox One.

Power and Price are big influences on peoples potential purchasing decisions, especially when both platforms share the majority of the same game library.

LivingMetal said:
Jigsawx1 said:

I have a theory that xbox sells online more then retail then on ps4.

"theory" = "fantasy"  You know that, right?

Just don't confuse it with a "scientific theory".

jason1637 said:

Doesn't make sense to buy an Xbox when you have a capable PC.

Microsoft should really try and appeal to all gamers from all walks of life. They all have wallets that flap.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Shadow1980 said:

And Zhuge is right that the XBO's surplus in the U.S. will vanish as well. The 360's fifth full year was 2010, the year the 360 S was released, and that caused 360 sales to skyrocket. Just to keep from being down LTD vs. the 360 by the end of this year, the XBO will have to sell at least 5.27M for the whole year. That's a YoY increase of 23.3%. That's simply not going to happen.

That's also the year Kinect was released, and despite what some people think about it here, it was a big sales boost for Xbox 360.

Without some new fangled reason show at E3 this year that we all MUST own and Xbox One, I don't see how Xbox One can reach those numbers.   They didn't make a single game that took advantage of the new Xbox One's Kinect 2.0.  And rumor aren't so good about Hololense either. 

The way Nadella is handling Microsoft right now I would be pleasantly surprised if they do anything new with hardware.  He seems bent on making money with business at the cost of everything creative Microsoft usually does.  It's kind of sad to watch unfold. 

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

foodfather said:
Everone knows its not as popular as the 360. Is there going to be one of these threads every month then?

I would even argue there are not enough sales related threads on this sales related site.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

Xbox One sales were down two years in a row? Those he years had BC, game pass, and the One S correct? Yikes...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Not surprising. PS4's massive popularity canibalized XBO's piece of the pie.

Have Microsoft ever released the numbers of xbox one sold? They seem to be keeping it a lot quite this gen or using live accounts of both 360 and one to sound better

phinch1 said:
Have Microsoft ever released the numbers of xbox one sold? They seem to be keeping it a lot quite this gen or using live accounts of both 360 and one to sound better

Xbox is officially at 3 million units sold through.

And officially 'almost' 10 million shipped.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'