By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Worldwide Xbox One sales dropped below Xbox 360 in 2017

CGI-Quality said:
Jigsawx1 said:

If you dont think best 3rds and more exclusives can sell consoles why do you think ps4 is in 1st place this gen?

This is year #5, not year #1. And the PS4 is #1 for a whole host of reasons, including...

- Better hardware out of the gate
- Cheaper out of the gate (though this matters a little less these days)
- Clear messaging (this was critical)
- Bigger around the world (Xbox is simply no where near as popular as PlayStation)
- Exclusives (only on PS4 means just that)

Having better looking multiplatform games this late into the generation isn't going to change anything. As a reference, how did Fall 2017 multiplats sell? 

FIFA 18 (PS4)
Electronic Arts, Sports
503,278 8,619,889 10
FIFA 18 (XOne)
Electronic Arts, Sports
132,250 2,160,033 10

Call of Duty: WWII (PS4)
Activision, Shooter
906,479 8,179,961 5
Call of Duty: WWII (XOne)
Activision, Shooter
399,388 3,880,307 5

As we can see, the launch of the Xbox One X had minimal (if any) effect on those two IPs.

But theese are culmulative numbers right?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Jigsawx1 said:

But theese are culmulative numbers right?

What does that matter?

I have a theory that xbox sells online more then retail then on ps4.

Xen said:
I don't follow sales much, but with the handicaps Microsoft started with, and the PS4's advantages over the XBO during most of this gen, I am surprised they were keeping up at all.

Pretty much. Idk what PS4 or Xbone have sold, but I would have assumed 360 would have passed the Xbone in the US awhile back and WW too. Didn’t the 360 sales take off again with Kinect? Wonder what year that was in.

Jigsawx1 said:
CGI-Quality said:

1. Having the best looking multiplats (on console) isn't going to matter much (I'm not seeing the One X suddenly jumping ahead on Amazon, for example). So, again, that's moot. CoD and Fifa will continue to sell many, many more units on the PS4. This is critical, because for fortunes to change, people have to ignore the PS4 versions of those games. 

2. More games than last year should help, yes, but they'd also have to be system movers to really change the bottom line.

3. Early Access Program. For it to make a dent, we'll have to see the trend on Amazon (the only place we can have even a slight idea of Xbox One is doing).

If you dont think best 3rds and more exclusives can sell consoles why do you think ps4 is in 1st place this gen?

Content (NOT power) is King, and the PlayStation platform has more exclusives (back to the content issue.)

Jigsawx1 said:
CGI-Quality said:

What does that matter?

"theory" = "fantasy"  You know that, right?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Jigsawx1 said:

Looking at the ratios, I don't think it really matters.

Man, the hoops people will jump through...its impressive

It's strongest franchise, Halo, went downhill since H3, not to mention MS games are on Windows now. I'd rather spare the money to upgrade my PC than bying an xbox.

Jigsawx1 said:
CGI-Quality said:

What does that matter?

Yep all those digital console sales make X1 outsell PS4.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Birimbau said:
It's strongest franchise, Halo, went downhill since H3, not to mention MS games are on Windows now. I'd rather spare the money to upgrade my PC than bying an xbox.

Doesn't make sense to buy an Xbox when you have a capable PC.

Not sure i get the quote... Did it drôles under 360 year over year in sales.... Or total sales since launch... Big diff

Then with the 360 you have to account for the RRoD replacement purchase... Not everyone was under warranty when it happened to them...

But regardless of unit sales number.. There is almost no doubt that XBox one is a commercial success especially considering how it started... Sure not what initially expected and not compared to PS4... And pretty sure it will still be more profitable in the end than the 360... It is for now... And that's what really matters this gen for the one...