By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Worldwide Xbox One sales dropped below Xbox 360 in 2017

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
I believe phil Spencer about xbox one sales, not these so called insiders. Also vgchartz sales has never been right concerning xbox numbers , even during xbox 360 days. They were always off every time, I believe xbox one numbers are at 38 million or above that figure. Anyways I'll always trust phil over some biased so called insider.

Zhuge isn't just some "biased so called insider". He's been right a number of times regarding console sales. No reason to doubt him, regardless if we like the result or not. He has nothing to gain by low-balling Xbox figures.

Next, for Xbox One to be up, it's going to take more than a Premium console. Read very closely what Shadow said. The necessary percentages just aren't going to be met.



                                                                                                                                                           

Around the Network

I think consoles overall have been down.



newwil7l said:
ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
I believe phil Spencer about xbox one sales, not these so called insiders. Also vgchartz sales has never been right concerning xbox numbers , even during xbox 360 days. They were always off every time, I believe xbox one numbers are at 38 million or above that figure. Anyways I'll always trust phil over some biased so called insider.

Well Vgchartz definitely overtracked the PS3 and undertracked 360 and never bothered to fix it. That being said Zhuge is a trustworthy insider and XBO will never outsell 360.

What are the correct figures for each?



                                                                                                                                                           

Errorist76 said:
jason1637 said:

So that means the XB1 was tracking ahead of the 360 in 2016. That means XB1 sales by the end of 2016 were more than 28m. Someone earlier said that the XBO by the end of 2009 was 37m so XBO should be around 35-36m by the end of last year.

XB1 dropped off a cliff after the Scorpio announcement. This whole year ww sales have been more like 3:1 instead of 2:1 in favour of PlayStation. I’d even say actual VGC numbers of 34mio are exaggerated since they traditionally overtrack XBox with no chance of correction this gen.

Not true. Xbox sales were good for the last part of 2016. And based on this info we have from the insider the XBO has an install base of above 28 million by the end of 2016. First few months of 2017 sales of the XBO weren't that bad compared to previous years but the sales did take a drop but went back up in November and December. US sales make up 55%-60% of XBO WW sales and it sold just under 4.3m this year in the US so WW sales for 2017 are probably 7.1m-7.8m which puts the XBO above 35m.



jason1637 said:
Errorist76 said:

XB1 dropped off a cliff after the Scorpio announcement. This whole year ww sales have been more like 3:1 instead of 2:1 in favour of PlayStation. I’d even say actual VGC numbers of 34mio are exaggerated since they traditionally overtrack XBox with no chance of correction this gen.

Not true. Xbox sales were good for the last part of 2016. And based on this info we have from the insider the XBO has an install base of above 28 million by the end of 2016. First few months of 2017 sales of the XBO weren't that bad compared to previous years but the sales did take a drop but went back up in November and December. US sales make up 55%-60% of XBO WW sales and it sold just under 4.3m this year in the US so WW sales for 2017 are probably 7.1m-7.8m which puts the XBO above 35m.

Only if you assume that it’s still 55-60% and not quite a bit more. Even the UK have been strongly favouring PS4 lately. X1S dropped heavily in sales this whole year WW, I remember Shuhei Yoshida even stating that they had sold 3 times the amount since the beginning of the year at last year’s E3.



Around the Network

Well, the 360 is the greatest system ever created so it was bound to happen sooner rather than later.



Twitter: @d21lewis

This is indeed quite bad, especially when their competition is selling like hotcakes.
The market clearly has room for PS4 and Switch selling as well as they are, and MS has decidedly been left behind.
If next gen keeps BC, which is very likely after the massive importance of indie releases for an healthy ecosystem, I really can't see MS ever overcoming the inertia of everyone just buying a PS5 and Switch 2



CGI-Quality said:
newwil7l said:

Well Vgchartz definitely overtracked the PS3 and undertracked 360 and never bothered to fix it. That being said Zhuge is a trustworthy insider and XBO will never outsell 360.

What are the correct figures for each?

Sony announced 83.8 million unites were shipped as of March 2015. VgChartz has the console over a million overtacked for the same time period and never fixed it giving off the image that PS3 actually sold more than 360 in the end....it didn't.



I don't follow sales much, but with the handicaps Microsoft started with, and the PS4's advantages over the XBO during most of this gen, I am surprised they were keeping up at all.



newwil7l said:
CGI-Quality said:

What are the correct figures for each?

Sony announced 83.8 million unites were shipped as of March 2015. VgChartz has the console over a million overtacked for the same time period and never fixed it giving off the image that PS3 actually sold more than 360 in the end....it didn't.

VGC wasn’t the only source that put the PS3 ahead, so I wouldn’t be so sure.