By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Worldwide Xbox One sales dropped below Xbox 360 in 2017

Errorist76 said:
jason1637 said:

Not true. Xbox sales were good for the last part of 2016. And based on this info we have from the insider the XBO has an install base of above 28 million by the end of 2016. First few months of 2017 sales of the XBO weren't that bad compared to previous years but the sales did take a drop but went back up in November and December. US sales make up 55%-60% of XBO WW sales and it sold just under 4.3m this year in the US so WW sales for 2017 are probably 7.1m-7.8m which puts the XBO above 35m.

Only if you assume that it’s still 55-60% and not quite a bit more. Even the UK have been strongly favouring PS4 lately. X1S dropped heavily in sales this whole year WW, I remember Shuhei Yoshida even stating that they had sold 3 times the amount since the beginning of the year at last year’s E3.

Yoshida said they sell 3 times more WW which has always been happening in past years. Also the 55%-60% is pretty common for Xbox consoles and based on some of the estimates from EA earlier this generation it still holds true for the XBO.



Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

This is basically just a repost of a thread I saw on neogaf by 8bitGhost.

"It is often said that although Xbox One sales are far below the PlayStation 4, the system is still outperforming the 360 at the same stage of its lifecycle. Well not anymore! Global Xbox One sales are down 2 years in a row and in 2017 it dropped below the 360 when launches are aligned.

Confirmed by Niko analyst Daniel Ahmad."
- 8bit ghost

 

So my question is this..... if xbox 360 launched in november 2005 (wiki says so), how where its sales at the end of 2009 ?

Does anyone know? official numbers? or even just vgcz numbers for its global sales? It should give us a idea of what "max" it could be at, by jan 2018.

Have you not seen this graph, it comes out every month.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/271185/xbox-one-vs-xbox-360vgchartz-gap-chartsnovember-2017-update/

The Xbox 360 never had a Xbox one X hardware upgrade, Microsoft would only announce next version of Xbox 360 without any update to hardware. The only reason Xbox one is not out pacing Xbox 360 is because sales slow down has people waited for Xbox one X release. But, with the massive November and expected numbers for December. Xbox one and Xbox 360 are back to being neck to neck in term of sales. You should see Xbox one outpacing 360 in 2018.



Tommy Jean, CPA, CGA

foodfather said:
Everone knows its not as popular as the 360. Is there going to be one of these threads every month then?

That's not true. Only in 2017 did 360 catch up to Xbox one sales. 

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/271185/xbox-one-vs-xbox-360vgchartz-gap-chartsnovember-2017-update/

I think Microsoft made the right move by announcing Xbox one X when they did even if they knew that Xbox one sales would slow down because of it. 



Tommy Jean, CPA, CGA

foodfather said:
Everone knows its not as popular as the 360. Is there going to be one of these threads every month then?

I'm not sure that's true.  Given the huge number of dead 360s by this point in its lifespan (many people bought new slim 360 bundles to replace their old units, that were either finally out of even the three year warranty or because of a lack of trust in the replacement units people were getting), I'm not sure there aren't as many active/working Xbox One units as there were 360 units.  I see the PS4's greater popularity as a result of Sony having captured a good chunk of console sales that were going to the Wii this time last-gen, with the Xbox One holding steady.  It's hard to deny that the RRoD inflated 360 sales.  How many people this far in were still using their first-gen 360 units in the previous gen?  Almost no one.  Lots of people are still using first-gen Xbox One units.  That at least mitigates, if not entirely compensates for, the sales difference in unit numbers.  It's not a surprise to me that Xbox Live engagement is at record highs.  It's because most of the Xbox One units still work, something that couldn't be said for most of the Xbox 360 units last generation.



Thanks for the informations, interesting. It's no surprise. I have 3 friends with Xbox360 - but they have NO interest for a Xbox One in future. And 2018 will not be better than 2017 for Xbox, i think. At the same time, the PS4 has its strongest games year ever (with 2019). good and big exclusives / games are very important.



"The Last of Us 2" is officially Game of the Year 2020, worldwide. Ghost of Tsushima-Artwork:

Around the Network
foodfather said:
Everone knows its not as popular as the 360. Is there going to be one of these threads every month then?

I member it differently. Very often i read how the X1 gets outsold 2:1 but on the bright side still performing  better fhan the 360. 



Hunting Season is done...

yvanjean said:

Have you not seen this graph, it comes out every month.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/271185/xbox-one-vs-xbox-360vgchartz-gap-chartsnovember-2017-update/

The Xbox 360 never had a Xbox one X hardware upgrade, Microsoft would only announce next version of Xbox 360 without any update to hardware. The only reason Xbox one is not out pacing Xbox 360 is because sales slow down has people waited for Xbox one X release. But, with the massive November and expected numbers for December. Xbox one and Xbox 360 are back to being neck to neck in term of sales. You should see Xbox one outpacing 360 in 2018.

The Xbox 360 sold 13.2m in 2010, 13.8m in 2011 and 10.6m in 2012. So far the Xbox One hasn't come close to crossing 10m in any calendar year and there's no reason to believe in a notable uptick in sales in 2018. The VGC estimates will put the Xbox One at ~8m in 2017; it needs to sell 13m in 2018 to merely keep pace with the 360.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:
yvanjean said:

Have you not seen this graph, it comes out every month.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/271185/xbox-one-vs-xbox-360vgchartz-gap-chartsnovember-2017-update/

The Xbox 360 never had a Xbox one X hardware upgrade, Microsoft would only announce next version of Xbox 360 without any update to hardware. The only reason Xbox one is not out pacing Xbox 360 is because sales slow down has people waited for Xbox one X release. But, with the massive November and expected numbers for December. Xbox one and Xbox 360 are back to being neck to neck in term of sales. You should see Xbox one outpacing 360 in 2018.

The Xbox 360 sold 13.2m in 2010, 13.8m in 2011 and 10.6m in 2012. So far the Xbox One hasn't come close to crossing 10m in any calendar year and there's no reason to believe in a notable uptick in sales in 2018. The VGC estimates will put the Xbox One at ~8m in 2017; it needs to sell 13m in 2018 to merely keep pace with the 360.

Xbox 360 Sales: 1.17; 6.8; 7.8; 10.9; 10.9; 13.25; 13.88; 10.68; 6.2m
Xbox One Sales: 3.07; 7.9; 8.6; 8.37; ~8.5m........   

There has never been a hardware update like Xbox one X and PS4 Pro .... Xbox One X was a much bigger disruption then the Ps4 Pro upgrade which launch in the same year. 

Sales were expected to be higher this year and now they just made the Game pass announcement which is only going to help Microsoft sales. 



Tommy Jean, CPA, CGA

yvanjean said:
RolStoppable said:

The Xbox 360 sold 13.2m in 2010, 13.8m in 2011 and 10.6m in 2012. So far the Xbox One hasn't come close to crossing 10m in any calendar year and there's no reason to believe in a notable uptick in sales in 2018. The VGC estimates will put the Xbox One at ~8m in 2017; it needs to sell 13m in 2018 to merely keep pace with the 360.

Xbox 360 Sales: 1.17; 6.8; 7.8; 10.9; 10.9; 13.25; 13.88; 10.68; 6.2m
Xbox One Sales: 3.07; 7.9; 8.6; 8.37; ~8.5m........   

There has never been a hardware update like Xbox one X and PS4 Pro .... 

Sales were expected to be higher this year and now they just made the Game pass announcement which is only going to help Microsoft sales. 

Sure, hardware updates are new, but even the PS4 as a much healthier platform than the XB1 could increase its sales by only ~3m in the year after the PS4 Pro launch. The XB1X, which retails for $100 more than the PS4 Pro, would have to lead to ~5m of additional sales year over year. I mean, it can't be ruled that the XB1 finally manages 10m in a calendar year, but 13m is a different ballpark.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

yvanjean said:
JRPGfan said:

This is basically just a repost of a thread I saw on neogaf by 8bitGhost.

"It is often said that although Xbox One sales are far below the PlayStation 4, the system is still outperforming the 360 at the same stage of its lifecycle. Well not anymore! Global Xbox One sales are down 2 years in a row and in 2017 it dropped below the 360 when launches are aligned.

Confirmed by Niko analyst Daniel Ahmad."
- 8bit ghost

 

So my question is this..... if xbox 360 launched in november 2005 (wiki says so), how where its sales at the end of 2009 ?

Does anyone know? official numbers? or even just vgcz numbers for its global sales? It should give us a idea of what "max" it could be at, by jan 2018.

Have you not seen this graph, it comes out every month.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/271185/xbox-one-vs-xbox-360vgchartz-gap-chartsnovember-2017-update/

The Xbox 360 never had a Xbox one X hardware upgrade, Microsoft would only announce next version of Xbox 360 without any update to hardware. The only reason Xbox one is not out pacing Xbox 360 is because sales slow down has people waited for Xbox one X release. But, with the massive November and expected numbers for December. Xbox one and Xbox 360 are back to being neck to neck in term of sales. You should see Xbox one outpacing 360 in 2018.

No, 360 had a massive boost in 2010/2011 thanks to Kinect.

360 will start dominating XBO this year.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.