By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - God of War 4 vs Nintendo Labo. Which will sell more?

God of War 4 vs Nintendo Labo

God of War 4 75 55.15%

Nintendo Labo 55 40.44%

They will sell about the same 4 2.94%

Results 2 1.47%

Total:136
Nighthawk117 said:
zorg1000 said:

Cardboard is literally one of the easiest materials in the world to fix.

Exactly.  Bring out the duct tape.... and all broken cardboard shall be reborn.

And on top of that Nintendo is letting people print out their own replacements for free.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Again, a rather bizarre comparison.

While we're at it, why not Octopath Traveler vs Pure Farming 2018, makes about as much sense.

Harkins1721 said:
zorg1000 said:

Nintendo has billions in the bank so Labo is not preventing Nintendo from updating their online services.

Sure, many of those 1000 gamee will be junk like any console library but Switch already has a ton of quality titles along with a ton more announced.

I dont see how Labo is such a stupid idea, STEAM (science, tech, engineering, art, math) toys/crafts are extremely popular among kids & parents and thats all Labo is while incorporating video games into it.

Just a question, are you in the 5-12 year old age bracket or the parent of someone who is?

And yet they still seem to half ass things. Its a cheap product that's overpriced. Nintendo has some terrible idea's so that doesnt help. This just seems like another one. 

No. Im 25. 

If you completely ignoring things like Nintendogs, Brain Age, Wii Sports, Fit, Wii Play, Wii Music that are all great succes, than yes, Labo is terrible idea. In more serious note, Labo will probably quite popular, probably will be 10m+ seller.

Also you need to realise that not every game is for every person, you think that Labo is shit, but for kids and parents Labo is quite intresting.

I don't know how this will end. We're looking at God of War, which has sort of went away from its usual gameplay mechanics, that may or may not exceed sales compared to the highest selling games of its franchise, even though its on PS4. Then we have a completely new IP in Labo that takes a completely different approach in gaming in comparison to GoW. This particular IP is aimed towards children AND children at heart, according to Nintendo, and showcase the potential of HD rumble, IR, and gyro controls.

Hopefully, both will do really well with one continuing the great success of a solid franchise in God of War while the other in Labo will expand the Switch audience (since it has been mostly marketed towards young adults and has been shown from the demographic stats from Nintendo) and show that there's more to gaming than buttons and VR.

potato_hamster said:
irstupid said:

If Nintendo sells millions upon millions of Labo kits, is that not more development dollars for the company?

A product succeeding means more money for the company and thus more development dollars.

No. WIth a company like Nintendo, they have a staff and resources they're comfortable with, and it's incredibly unlikely the success of anything is going to have them hiring new people to increase capacity. They'll just stick with what they have.

They have billions in the bank they could spend doing pretty much anything they want. But they don't.

They are investing in other projects like theme parks, movies, mobile, toys/merchandise, concerts, etc. besides gaming. Some of these projects appear to cost pretty pennies (especially those theme parks). And I'm sure you have heard as someone within the gaming industry, but they have been hiring, even during the struggling Wii U/3DS days. When you expect them to lay off people when they lost money, they apparently didn't and Iwata took pay cuts. 

Let's not assume they don't necessarily invest enough. We don't know exactly how much they spend on their gaming projects and other avenues.

Around the Network

The one on PS4.

Kai_Mao said:
potato_hamster said:

No. WIth a company like Nintendo, they have a staff and resources they're comfortable with, and it's incredibly unlikely the success of anything is going to have them hiring new people to increase capacity. They'll just stick with what they have.

They have billions in the bank they could spend doing pretty much anything they want. But they don't.

They are investing in other projects like theme parks, movies, mobile, toys/merchandise, concerts, etc. besides gaming. Some of these projects appear to cost pretty pennies (especially those theme parks). And I'm sure you have heard as someone within the gaming industry, but they have been hiring, even during the struggling Wii U/3DS days. When you expect them to lay off people when they lost money, they apparently didn't and Iwata took pay cuts. 

Let's not assume they don't necessarily invest enough. We don't know exactly how much they spend on their gaming projects and other avenues.

Yes, they have been diversifying which is, well, what it is. I'm not really sure how much these projects are costing Nintendo. it's entirely plausible they're actually just licensing their Name and IP to someone else who is investing into building and developing theme parks, toys, drink coasters, etc, and just making money off of all of these things with no financial risk, much like how Donald Trump didn't actually invest and build most of the buildings that bare his name, he just licensed the name to them.

But still, even with their regular hiring, there's no indication that they're actually increasing team sizes and taking on more projects. Big publishers like Nintendo, Sony, Activision, EA etc constantly have job openings for dozens, if not hundreds of positions. Even after layoffs. It might just mean they have gaps in their staff that they need filled in order to execute their current projects the way they would like to.

My entire point wasn't that they don't invest enough,but that they invest what they are comfortable with, and the success/failure of certain projects doesn't affect how much they invest, but rather, where they invest that money in the future. If Labo is an enormous success, Nintendo is not going to open a new studio with multiple new teams making Nintendo Labo products. They're just going to divert existing internal teams into making more Labo type stuff and push back other projects or cancel them all together.

GOWTLOZ said:
Pavolink said:

Interesting.

First time I heard about that "iconic" description to that franchise.

Edit: for the OP, I expect one to be frontloaded, and the other to maybe be an evergreen game.

Looks like you don't use the internet much at all.

EricFabian said:
The best selling GoW game, God of War 3, fail to sell 5M.

Labo is the winner by default. Even if GoW4 sell more first week somehow

God of War 3 sold 5.2m on PS3 alone and probably a million on PS4.

I use the internet only for important matters.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

zorg1000 said:
Harkins1721 said:

And yet they still seem to half ass things. Its a cheap product that's overpriced. Nintendo has some terrible idea's so that doesnt help. This just seems like another one. 

No. Im 25. 

So my original argument was right. Labo is aimed specifically at kids and parents so you want it to fail for the sole reason of it not being aimed directly at you.

Its really not overpriced, since you're not a parent im assuming that you dont really keep up on prices of toys/games/crafts for kids. Labo is priced in the same range as many other S.T.E.M. sets.

Which I said from the beginning. Even being aimed at kids its just cheap. I want it to fail because I think its dumb for anyone and as ive stated if it doesnt and it proves well good for Nintendo. I just dont see it happening. And it being forgotten quite quick. 

Pavolink said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Looks like you don't use the internet much at all.

God of War 3 sold 5.2m on PS3 alone and probably a million on PS4.

I use the internet only for important matters.

Yet you are here on VGC.