By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: The Switch will become the best selling console yet!

DialgaMarine said:
Unless Nintendo just never releases a predecessor to Switch, I don’t see it happening.

This is about as bold as John Lucas’s 240 million Wii U’s.

Sorry, predicting 150M Switch is as bold as 240M WiiUs? What are you smoking, I want that too.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
CGI-Quality said:

That can be said of any topic in this field. The fun is in predicting in either direction. 

Yeah, but the absolutist attitude some have is a bit ridiculous. People should be more reserved about stuff like this. It ain't fun when you get it wrong and people mercilessly ridicule you for it months later.

Oh, a little fun with ridiculing ridiculous predictions is fine by me. Strange is, that this bold but not poutlandish prediction is compared to John Lucas stuff. I mean the numbers alone show that this isn't the same. The Laser has a long gap to overcome to become a true John Lucas.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

StreaK said:
Cobretti2 said:
I personally feel like it will fly than it will die quick like the Wii.

Nintendo will need to hit every note for it to get that high.

This....after the DIEHARD LAUGHTER has settled. 

Haha, I don't even see the Switch topping 80 million let alone selling more than 200 million. Hahahahahaha. Sorry, but I think - I THINK - I have heard it all now.

100M should be possible for the Switch and momentarily I can't see how that can go wrong if Nintendo isn't doing anything stupid. I don't know who said 200M. 150M as was stated is highly unlikely, as I said in my post.

RolStoppable said:
I liked the OP, but it's unfinished. Plenty of coherent points made, but no mention of inevitable revisions for hardware that is portable or Switch being a personal item, meaning that it can sell multiple units to the same household. These are two key points that will give a serious push to unit sales.

This is key in my opinion. As I argued in my post, I think it is highly unlikely for Switch to follow the PS2 path. That would involve sells in the rest of the world areas, something a smaller company has difficulties. But more importantly it would involve a long tail of late sales, the PS2 sold 40M after the release of the PS3. That is something that Nintendo seems never to do as a principle, they kill their old consoles pretty fast.

So the DS-way of multiple units per household would be the way to go. Certainly not impossible, given the mobile nature. But I see some obstacles, and as long as these aren't cleared I feel this unlikely. Most obvious is the price - higher price prohibits tha you give every child in your family one of these devices. The second hurdle is decreased mobility. As I said, I have my 3DS practically always with me, not so with the Switch. It is bigger and less protected. I do use it mobile, but not in the same extent. This diminishes the value as a take it with you item, which means you would be less inclined to need one for every memberof your household. Then there is something else. If you play a game on the S-Bahn from school to home, you probably want to continue on the TV as you're home. If the household has three kids then fighting ensues over which kid can use the living room TV.

I’d bet my house and dog it won’t....just because for the fact that in 2-3 years latest Nintendo will release an upgraded model.

Around the Network

I think it won't, but I hope it does. I don't think it'll get the right combo of "core" and "casual" gamers necessary for such a huge number. Switch will need to get caught in a perfect storm. Start's good though, and we can at least be sure it'll beat my pre-launch prediction of 40m lifetime...

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 24 January 2018

It's not even outselling the PS4 on a weekly basis. It had a strong first year, but Nintendo came out guns blazing with new Zelda/Mario Kart/3D mario/Splatoon/Xenoblade 2.

It's gonna be difficult to top that in the following years.

Also, people seem to forget, but the gen is gonna move in 2 or 3 years again and Nintendo will be left generations behind in tech once more.

DonFerrari said:
Is that John Lucas?

No, no, no. Wrong style, much too grounded and sensible. Not nearly enough theatrics and bravado, no self-doting or references to past glory. And no caps or "&" everywhere. It's also lacking in Nintendo nostalgia, and most important of all; it's way, way too short and to-the point to he him.

And trust me; I know John Lucas' style better than anyone in here...

switch at 99 or 150$ after 5-6 years could do it,and if its successor isnt aggressively priced , with this price itll leg it out

If they release a NEW Switch that can run current games at a higher res and frame rate AND run PS5 games with concessions sure, this could happen. It would be treated like the NEW 3DS where first party games can run on both the new and old versions of the Switch and 3rd party games will likely be NEW Switch only. If a game can run on OG Switch with concessions, it will. But many multiplats would need to be on the newer model.

If this happens sure, because both models would pool their sales numbers together. However if they do not do this, while 100k is still possible, it will not be the best selling console of all time. At some point we will need a power boost once the OG PS4 and X1 are no longer holding games to a lower standard.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261