By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: The Switch will become the best selling console yet!

Lol

Around the Network

I got a lot of thoughtful replies so far.    Too many people to address using quotes so let me just try to answer some of the common replies.

"Costs too much to sell like that."  Others have already said that Nintendo will find a way to bring costs down after a few years and I agree with that.  This is not really that uncommon for a console.

"Switch needs a long tail to sell like that." I agree it needs a long tail and it will have one.  Leading consoles almost always have long tails and that includes every Nintendo handheld.  The 3DS already has that long tail and it is Nintendo's least successful handheld.

"Haven't taken home/handheld overlap into account"  I know this will affect the numbers a little, but I think it is a small percentage.  Most gamers end up picking home only or handheld only depending on lifestyle.  For example in Japan the handheld market is proportionally huge, but the home console market is proportionally small.  Most gamers are not owning both.  Most are either home only or handheld only.

"Sony gamers will not go over to a Nintendo console."  I think Mnemeth is the only one who explicitly said this, but I can tell by the replies that a lot of people think this.  I have seen gaming evolve over a lot of generations, and one thing I have observed is that gamers have remarkably low company loyalty.  Wii success does not translate to Wii U success.  PS2 success does not translate into PS3 success.  Gamers argue til they are blue in the face about how great the Sega Genesis is.  Do these same people buy a Sega Saturn?  Nope.  Every generation is a clean slate.

The gamers that seem to be the most loyal are those who love first party titles.  Nintendo will never get people whose favorite game is Halo or the Last of Us, for example.  It is also true that Nintendo will never get people who need cutting edge graphics (most of these people are actually PC gamers though).  Everyone else is up for grabs.  If Switch has the games that people want to play then they will come over.  It doesn't need to be first party games either.  The Switch will have fantastic third party support.  A huge chunk of home gamers are going to come over to Switch.    

One last thing I want to say is that I ironically expect 2018 to be a disappointing year for Nintendo.  Kimishima projects 20m Switches for fiscal year 2018.  I think they are going to fall short of that by several million.  So I don't know if this thread is going to be bumped in 2018 or not, but I very much expect the Doomsayers to come out in full force in 2018.  The Switch isn't really going to rocket up in sales until 2019.  That is when Switch is going to get Pokemon and some significant third party support.  (I'm going to update my original post to include this little ironic tidbit.)

Is that John Lucas?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I think it will hit 50 million no problem. But it’s still too early to predict super huge numbers.

Sounds like John Lucas has made his return after predicting the Wii U would sell over 200 million units.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Is that John Lucas?

I believe John Lucas is now BigJon

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

The_Liquid_Laser said:

The Switch is going to outsell every console that has yet been released.  How can I make such a bold claim?  Because the Switch will dominate both the handheld and home console markets with one console.  

A console that can win both markets will clearly be the new winner of all time.    VGChartz has the PS2 listed with 158m lifetime sales.  What do you think the PS4 and 3DS final numbers will be?  Now add those two numbers together.  Even the most conservative estimate will easily be above 158m.  If my claim about the Switch seems bold, it is not because the numbers can't be theoretically worked out on paper.

No, the real question that people have is "Can the Switch really win both the handheld and home console markets?"  I say, "Yes, and it will do so for Generation 9".  Let me break this down more specifically:

Handheld Market
Nintendo has never lost the handheld market.  Nintendo has been making handhelds for 30 years now, and no other other company has even come close to besting them.  Many have tried.  Sony, Sega, Atari, SNK, etc... have all tried their best to take the handheld market, and they have all been clobbered by Nintendo EVERY SINGLE TIME.  Nintendo is ridiculously dominant in the handheld market.  So, who is their main handheld competition for Generation 9?  No one.

Now, I know there are people out there right now saying, "But the Switch is a Generation 8 console."  Really?  I thought the 3DS was Nintendo's Generation 8 handheld.  And isn't the Switch the successor to the 3DS?  Logically, the Switch is a Generation 9 handheld. 

Furthermore, console generations are based on time period and not console power.  The Wii was a Generation 7 console, even though it had the power of a Generation 6 console.  Time wise the Wii was contemporary to the other Generation 7 consoles, so it is Generation 7.  The Switch launched about 6 years after the 3DS, so it is the next generation, Generation 9.  And since it is both a home and handheld console, it is Generation 9 for both home and handheld markets.  History will not see the Switch as competition for the PS4, but for the PS5 instead.

So my point here is that the Switch will clearly win the handheld market for Generation 9 and with no handheld competition.  Even people who would otherwise get a Sony PSP/Vita type handheld will get a Switch in Generation 9 instead.

Home Market:
The Switch is also going to win the home market in Generation 9.  This claim is likely the biggest sticking point for many people reading this.  How can I claim this?  Because Nintendo's strategy for Generation 9 is to use their prowess in the handheld market to invade the home market.  

And what is it that Nintendo does that always makes it's handhelds so successful?  Every generation they do the same thing.  During the first 2 - 3 years they release the majority of their best first party titles.  Then when third party companies see that the handheld is selling well, they decide to make their games for it.  The third party games keep the console's momentum going, and the handheld keeps selling well for years 3+.  This is the strategy they have used with the 3DS and it is still selling well 7 years after release. 

Nintendo also used this strategy with the NES, SNES and Wii and it worked fairly well with those consoles too (although less so with the Wii than the other two).  On the other hand Nintendo tried this strategy with the N64, Gamecube and Wii U, and it didn't work because third party companies didn't give those consoles much support.

Switch is definitely going to get good third party support.  And there is a huge positive feedback loop between games and gamers on a console.  More games leads to more gamers.  Then the higher console base means more third parties come on board.  So then, more gamers also leads to more games.  The number of titles and the console base snowball together.  "What about Western Developers?  What about AAA?"  These questions are somewhat irrelevant.  Switch is going to get so much support that it won't matter if it loses certain big companies.  The games will be there and the games will lead to more gamers.

Conclusion:
The Switch is going to win Generation 9 by being dominant in both the home and handheld markets.  For the handheld market this is a foregone conclusion since it has no competitors.  The Switch will also sell to most gamers in the home market because it will have a huge library of games.  Once you add up the numbers from these two markets, the Switch will have unprecedented hardware sales.  In fact, it will be the best selling console yet.

EDIT:
One last thing I want to say is that I ironically expect 2018 to be a disappointing year for Nintendo.  Kimishima projects 20m Switches for fiscal year 2018.  I think they are going to fall short of that by several million.  So I don't know if this thread is going to be bumped in 2018 or not, but I very much expect the Doomsayers to come out in full force in 2018.  The Switch isn't really going to rocket up in sales until 2019.  That is when Switch is going to get Pokemon and some significant third party support.  (1/23/2018)

my response 

Selling more than the NDS and the PS2 - more than 155 Mio.... very unlikely, but it might be a bit early to tell. I think that the Switch will land at about 110 -120 Mio which would be amazing honestly..... The thing with the handheld market is that it's just not that big anymore. I mean the 3DS only managed to sell 70 Mio because of a price cut in its first year and several model revisions a la 2ds and new 2/3ds. However, the 3ds itself had basically all of Nintendo's biggest franchises on it (Smash Bros, Mario Kart, 2d Mario, 3d Mario, Pokemon, Monster hunter for japan, Dragon quest,....) Don't get me wrong I am pretty sure that the switch will easily outsell the 3ds, since the 3ds has never been hyped like the switch has been. To be honest I'd wait until maybe with my final prediction for switch after this years E3. As of now I'd say that The switch gonna sell about 115 mio

This thread is funny.

Most Nintendo fans: It could be, or not.
Most PS fans: This cannot happen! Absolutely not! Impossible! My PS4 told me so!

Dudes, nobody knows and that should be the only answer to this topic.

Unless Nintendo just never releases a predecessor to Switch, I don’t see it happening.

This is about as bold as John Lucas’s 240 million Wii U’s.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon