By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: The Switch will become the best selling console yet!

xl-klaudkil said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Haha, not really, I meant exactly what I said: It's happening, Switch is becoming the best selling console ever released 

Well its under 80mill, it needs 70+ mill to sell better then the ps2 and nds, its 5 years old.

Also, why is the switch lite being considert a console? Its a deticated handheld.

Same hardware and software.

Also, not having separated production information between the two makes it impossible to know how much each version really sold, so any nitpicking is unnecessary.

Around the Network
Agente42 said:
xl-klaudkil said:

Well its under 80mill, it needs 70+ mill to sell better then the ps2 and nds, its 5 years old.

Also, why is the switch lite being considert a console? Its a deticated handheld.

Enters now in the 5th year.

Console launch  is march 3 2017. Do the math

Console in a broad way, it's not only stationary and not only handheld, its a hybrid. 

Ah 4 years, still makes no different.

The nintendo switch lite is a handheld only switch,  it has noo console features.

Having (almost)the same software does not make it a handheld.

But i highly, Highly doubt it will sell 150+mill.

Will it be close? Sure.

But many also thought  ps4 could do 130mil when it whas selling like crazy.

At some point it will sell less, nothing keeps selling forever

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

xl-klaudkil said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Haha, not really, I meant exactly what I said: It's happening, Switch is becoming the best selling console ever released 

I don't understand why english speakers don't call handheld as video game consoles

Video game consoles are any piece of hardware dedicated to gaming 

It's like when US citizens are completely unaware the word "americans" can refer to any person born/living the whole America, and not only USA citizens 

IcaroRibeiro said:
xl-klaudkil said:

I don't understand why english speakers don't call handheld as video game consoles

It's like when US citizens are completely unaware the word "americans" can refer to any person born/living the whole America, and not only USA citizens 

Point taken.

Home console, that better?

Handheld and home consoles have always been seperate, now the switch is a hyrbid(and a amazing one) however does the switch lite(handheld only) fit in there?

Its just a question  i have been thinking about.

No where did i try to downplay the succes of the switch,not do i care.

Ps iam not english speaking.

My youtube gaming page.

xl-klaudkil said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Point taken.

Handheld and home consoles have always been seperate, now the switch is a hyrbid(and a amazing one) however does the switch lite(handheld only) fit in there?

Switch is a brand of gaming consoles. Either standard, Lite or whatever revision comes later still being a member of Switch family therefore a gaming console 

I would understand the concern if someone stated Switch was going to be the best selling home console, but that's not what I meant. Now we both understand each other I don't see reasons to arguing further 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
xl-klaudkil said:

Point taken.

Switch is a brand of gaming consoles. Either standard, Lite or whatever revision comes later still being a member of Switch family therefore a gaming console 

I would understand the concern if someone stated Switch was going to be the best selling home console, but that's not what I meant. Now we both understand each other I don't see reasons to arguing further 

Hmz.. so the playstation 1 to 5 is also a brand of gaming consoles either 1 or 4 or psp?

Interesting. 

My youtube gaming page.

xl-klaudkil said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Hmz.. so the playstation 1 to 5 is also a brand of gaming consoles either 1 or 4 or psp?

Interesting. 

Not exactly. Sony marketed each Playstation generation as a particular family system 

In this sense PS4 base model, PS4 Pro and PS4 Slim are all consoles from the same family (PS4)

If PSP was sold as Playstation 2 Portable then I would agree that it was possible to see as the same case, but they never done that nor designed the hardware the run the same games 

Up until 2019 or so (maybe even early 2020), I would've laughed at this notion. Now, it's not a bold prediction. I still don't think it will happen. To me, there are going to have to be some key factors in place to make Switch pass the PS2's total of 157.68 million units. All or several of these factors need to happen...
1. There needs to be an SKU of Switch that reaches $99.99 or less. It doesn't need to happen too soon. It could even wait until when the Switch's successor launches or after that.
2. Some massive unannounced titles like Mario Kart 9, Nintendogs, Super Mario Odyssey 2, or Pokemon Gen IX.
3. Switch's successor doesn't launch until at least Q1 2023, and later than that would be better for the Switch's sales.
4. Switch's successor doesn't explode in popularity right away (or Nintendo can't make enough to meet demand) and eat away a ton of the Switch's sales

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

All-Time Console Sales List:

1) PlayStation 2 (PS2) - 157,680,000* (155,000,000+ according to Sony) Mar. 31st, 2012

2) Nintendo DS (DS) - 154,900,000* (154,020,000 according to Nintendo) - Dec. 31st, 2020

3) Game Boy (GB/GBC) - 118,690,000

4) PlayStation 4 (PS4) - 115,107,617*** (114,900,000+ according to Sony) - Dec. 31st, 2020

5) PlayStation (PS1) - 102,500,000* (102,400,000+ according to Sony) - Mar. 31st, 2012

6) Nintendo Wii (Wii) - 101,640,000* (101,630,000 according to Nintendo) - Dec. 31st, 2020

7) PlayStation 3 (PS3) - 87,410,000* (87,400,000+ according to Sony) - Mar. 31st, 2017

8) Xbox 360 (360) - 85,800,000**

9) Game Boy Advance (GBA) - 81,510,000 

10) PlayStation Portable (PSP) - 81,090,000* (76,400,000+ according to Sony) - Mar. 31st, 2012

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11) Nintendo Switch (NS) - 80,369,221*** (79,870,000 according to Nintendo) - Dec. 31st, 2020

12) Nintendo 3DS (3DS) - 75,920,921*** (75,940,000 according to Nintendo) - Dec. 31st, 2020

(*) VGChartz estimates
(**) No official numbers from Microsoft as far as I'm aware.
(***) Still selling

Since the last time I did this, the Switch blew past the 3DS on the all time list and now is breathing down the necks of the PSP and GBA and should pass them both within the next 3-4 weeks and cementing itself firmly in the Top 10 Best Selling Systems of All-Time. From there, it would turn its sights towards the Gen 7 HD Twins. 

If this year becomes another ~30M year it actually has a chance. However 158M at the least is still far away. Anything could happen, even with a 30M year; PS4 was soaring to a certain 130M but then it dropped like a rock (one might even speak of a ‘cliff’), and now it’s up in the air if whether or not it reaches GameBoy.