By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think Zelda II is a bad game?

Tagged games:

Is Zelda II a bad game?

Yes, it's just... Bad 12 25.00%

No, it's playable 9 18.75%

No, it's a great game 27 56.25%

Total:48

I was just talking about this game before I saw this thread XD I want to like it, I really do. But man the amount of bullshit the game throws at you is just... uh, I’d say discouraging. Especially if you game over while with 1500 saved EXP. But yeah, idk if the game didn’t have so many BS enemies and a better sword, I’d love it. Or if you didn’t lose your EXP if you game overed.

Around the Network

I can understand people who simply don't like its different style.

But people who claim it's a BAD game, are either trolling, or don't know what "bad" is.

It's actually a very good game, well made. Just, like Miyamoto himself has said, it honestly needed more time in development, to flesh out more ideas and give it that typical "Nintendo Polish". It was somewhat rushed out, which is absurd, and because of that, it's somewhat rough around the edges.

But as a GAME, it was honestly ahead of its time in many ways, and was very inventive, trying new things, instead of just copying what Zelda 1 did. Granted, most fans just WANTED basically Zelda 1 Pt. 2. But those same fans are the reason they rushed out the Japanese Mario 2, aka "Lost Levels", which is, I don't mind saying, an inferior product and little more than a professional Super Mario Bros. hack. "Our" Mario 2, the Doki Doki Panic port, was, I once again don't mind saying, VASTLY superior as a game. As a kid, my initial gut reaction to it was "eww, this isn't like Mario 1". But then I actually gave it a chance, and it's brilliant.

We lucked out getting "our" Mario 2, and quite frankly, while it SHOULDN'T have been rushed, I think we lucked out getting Zelda 2 as well. Yes, it's hard as hell, but not in an unfair way, such as games like Ninja Gaiden. The game as very innovative and/or creative for its time, the game world for the 80s was rather huge, the RPG-lite system is actually really fun and makes you actually WANT to fight enemies more often. In some ways Zelda II had elements of being one of the first "Metroidvania" style games, building on what Metroid started. And the combat, while it takes getting used to and a good sense of timing, you CAN get good at it, and it makes you feel pretty bad ass when you do.

I realize Zelda II isn't everyone's favorite, it is often considered the "Black Sheep" of the franchise. But I don't think it's fair to judge it harshly. It needed more polish, yes, and that's unfortunate that it wasn't the game it fully deserved to be. But what they did make is still a great game, and I think it deserves to be considered a classic.

I think it’s one of those games you need to try yourself to see if you like it or not. It’s not really a good/bad game issue, more a divisive issue.

AVGN did a good review of the game. Personally, I thought it was too hard, but I am not a hard core gamer...

I'm not sure which one I played first as a kid: Zelda 1 or Zelda 2, arf.
But I know that I played Zelda 2 the most, arf. It has a huge difficulty especially towards the end, but I still managed to finish it, arf. I wasn't so keen to play the first one, arf. Probably because I was lost all the time.... ,arf.

Also, they used the same engine for another great game: Battle of Olympus, arf.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Yeah, it's bad.

Around the Network

It's, IMO, one of the best 2D sidescrollers on NES.

* I love the gigantic feeling of the world, which feels far more vast than any Zelda game outside of Breath of the Wild.
* The towns that each have their own little stories and secrets.
* The RPG elements are a nice little reward, and actually make those random encounters feel worthy - it opens it up to grinding, but grinding is unnecessary when compared to most RPGs and even other similar games (like the Metroidvanias); it's essentially a way for less skilled players to work to make the game easier.
* I like how the world of Zelda felt like it had a history to it; along with a civilization.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

It's a great game.

But since it's a bit challanging and "hardcore" gamers are afraid of difficult games a lot of people dislike it.

It's also from the point in time where sequels dared to try new things and concepts instead of just regurgerating the same game with a higher number slapped on to it.

It was the best Zelda game until BotW came out.

I think its a great game.

Peh said:

Also, they used the same engine for another great game: Battle of Olympus, arf.

Indeed! Battle of Olympus is a great game.