By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analyst: Switch may have sold 7m units globally during Oct-Dec, bringing LTD sales at more than 14.6m

Alkibiádēs said:

Just because the news was reported on the 10th of December doesn't mean that it tracked sales all the way up to that date. That's literally impossible. It takes a while to gather global sell-through data like that, at least a week. 

I work for a big re-seller company, so I do know about this stuff (80% of our business is with Microsoft products). 

No it doesn't take "at least a week". Sony's 70.6m figure was reported on December the 7th and was for sales as of December 3rd. 4 Days.

Alkibiádēs said: 

And? Nintendo made the tweet on the 10th of December, that's the original source. It's literally impossible to track this sell-through data in less than a day. 

No the source is Nintendo themselves. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2017/171212.html

The figure was reported December 12th, and was for as of December 10th.

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
Alkibiádēs said:
It has a better library of games already, so I'm not surprised in the slightest. Sony has never given official figures for the Vita either, so it's probably over-tracked here, as Europe's sales are suspiciously high, despite never having seen a Vita in my life, it's not even being stocked by most stores where I live!

it hasnt got a better library of games. far from it

In old and good portuguese, "aceita que dói menos".

Alkibiádēs said:
quickrick said:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/switch-sells-10-million-units-ww-in-9-months.10758/

Nintendo Switch Worldwide Sell-Through Surpasses 10 Million Units 
As of December 10th, worldwide life-to-date sell-through for Nintendo Switch, which launched on March 3, 2017, has surpassed 10 million units *.

Nintendo Switch is a home console equipped with a variety of unique features. Users can instantly take it on the go and share the Joy-Con controllers with those around them, enabling them to play whenever, wherever and with whomever they want. Nintendo Switch offers a wider range of playstyle options and places where games can be played, and has been well-received by consumers all around the world.

This December in Japan we are planning to ship more units than ever before so that even more consumers can purchase and enjoy Nintendo Switch.

And? Nintendo made the tweet on the 10th of December, that's the original source. It's literally impossible to track this sell-through data in less than a day. 

err ok what ever you say. companies know how to get close estimates, if nintendo says they crossed 10 million as of December 10, ill take there word over yours.   

Barkley said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Just because the news was reported on the 10th of December doesn't mean that it tracked sales all the way up to that date. That's literally impossible. It takes a while to gather global sell-through data like that, at least a week. 

I work for a big re-seller company, so I do know about this stuff (80% of our business is with Microsoft products). 

No it doesn't take "at least a week". Sony's 70.6m figure was reported on December the 7th and was for sales as of December 3rd. 4 Days.

Alkibiádēs said: 

No the source is Nintendo themselves. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2017/171212.html

This guy is really that desperate, that he has to make shit up, just sad.

Barkley said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Alkibiádēs said: 

There's really no way you can gather accurate information like that in just a few days. 

We'll see at Nintendo's Q4 2017 financial reports at the end of January (there's a reason why it's held a month after, to have accurate information to report on).

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:

There's really no way you can gather accurate information like that in just a few days. 

We'll see at Nintendo's Q4 2017 financial reports at the end of January (there's a reason why it's held a month after, to have accurate information to report on).

I'm sure Nintendo are more than capable of estimating a couple of days in advance. Regardless this is the official statement from Nintendo, the tweet may not have given a date, but the corporate release did.

As of December 10th, worldwide life-to-date sell-through for Nintendo Switch has surpassed 10 million units.

You can't argue against anyone using the date Nintendo use.

Alkibiádēs said:
Barkley said:

Nintendo know how many they shipped and roughly what would be sitting on shelves. They won't be using any complicated method like how NPD get their data. 

It should also be pretty easy for them to calculate sold through because they pretty much sell most of their stock as soon as it's shipped. 

That number is probably shipments.
販売,Sales→Shipments 実売,Actualsales→Sales

I made a prediction using the results of NPD and Famitsu.
NS sales US+JP(NPD+Famitsu)
Q1 1.43million Total
Q2 1.15million 2.58million
Q3 1.47million 4.05million
Q4 4.24million 8.29million

NS shipped
Q1 2.74million Total
Q2 1.96million 4.70million
Q3 2.93million 7.63million

Calculate every quarter
170%〜199% Q4 7.20〜8.43million
I predict that Nintendo shipped a total of 14.83〜16.06 million units by the end of December.

Last edited by takoyaki7 - on 21 January 2018

And where the hell do you get from that Switch > PS Vita? You only used a freaking speculation from an analyst which seems extremely wrong. Besides that it still wouldn't have outsold PS Vita by that number. This thread is so much bullshit it's unbelievable...

rodea_sky_soldier said:
So, usatoday was right: 14.6 sold and 400k on shelves - 15 million mar-dec's 2017

or thats the unnamed analyst hes quoteing? his source is usatoday, with their crazy numbers :P