By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Monster Hunter World be a Mult Million Seller in Japan? (2mil+)

And it reached it in 1 week.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Mnementh said:

1.35M physical first week, 2 million including digital.

And how do you see it now? 3 million should be in the cards, don't you think. With digital it'll blow past that in any case.

Already explaining away in the other thread. 2m with digital is currently unofficial.

Your prediction was lifetime though, if I don't read it wrong.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Kyuu said:
Mnementh said:

And how do you see it now? 3 million should be in the cards, don't you think. With digital it'll blow past that in any case.

All that means is the game is an unprecedented success (assuming the number is accurate)

Nah. It will have a hard time reaching the numbers of previous entries, in no world this is a unprecedented success. My 3 million number already included a shrinking userbase in Japan. So that could be expected.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Kyuu said:
Mnementh said:

Nah. It will have a hard time reaching the numbers of previous entries, in no world this is a unprecedented success. My 3 million number already included a shrinking userbase in Japan. So that could be expected.

You're not making any sense then. It could very well sell zero copies form now on, and that would still be a big success all things considered lol.

I'm actually a bit confused by the high digital number. I don't exactly know how to compare. If we assume around 10% digital for MH4, then MHW sold first week pretty much the same as MH4. Which would I count as stable and therefore what to expect more or less and with the explosion of the sales in the west clearly a success.

If we look on physical alone it looks like a shrinking userbase. Which I would still consider fine. It still beats the ridiculous low estimate of 1.5M lifetime which I was initially reacting to.

What I say is, that these low expectations beforehand were lowballing it. You can't estimate one copy and say the game was a success if it sells ten copies. As the next mainline entry a stable userbase is to be expected, a growing userbase is a success, a shrinking one a failure. Because of the digital I'm not entirely sure which category we fall in. In Japan though, worldwide the userbase clearly is growing.

Mnementh said:
Farsala said:

Already explaining away in the other thread. 2m with digital is currently unofficial.

Your prediction was lifetime though, if I don't read it wrong.

Yeah I said ~2m+ with digital has a high chance, and 1.8m was my guess. All depends on legs at this point, and if that prediction was true or not.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
Mnementh said:

I'm actually a bit confused by the high digital number. I don't exactly know how to compare. If we assume around 10% digital for MH4, then MHW sold first week pretty much the same as MH4. Which would I count as stable and therefore what to expect more or less and with the explosion of the sales in the west clearly a success.

If we look on physical alone it looks like a shrinking userbase. Which I would still consider fine. It still beats the ridiculous low estimate of 1.5M lifetime which I was initially reacting to.

What I say is, that these low expectations beforehand were lowballing it. You can't estimate one copy and say the game was a success if it sells ten copies. As the next mainline entry a stable userbase is to be expected, a growing userbase is a success, a shrinking one a failure. Because of the digital I'm not entirely sure which category we fall in. In Japan though, worldwide the userbase clearly is growing.

The thing is.. I'm dealing with two opposing extremes. Throughout my time here discussing Monster Hunter's potential on home consoles, most users were incredibly simplistic! Putting an excessive and blind emphasis on install base and form factor ("Hahaha! wasn't 'properly-tested' on home console my ass. Wii and PS2 say hello!" blah blah blah) and you're aware of that.

Now I'm dealing with the other kind of extreme, who seemingly uses a one-dimensional method to determine success (Namely "a growing userbase is a success, a shrinking one a failure"). You seem to refuse to put ANY consideration whatsoever to the challenges and restrictions of a PS4 Monster Hunter game (This includes a small install base, $59 price point, PS+ requirement for MP, lack of portability/local MP) or the unavoidable generational shift publishers are destined to undertake.

Speaking of the generational shift: The combined, and I repeat: "the combined", first week sales of Monster Hunter Tri on Wii + 3DS barely topped a million in Japan!... This is virtually a mere half that of Portable 3rd despite the overlapping (Which also means nearly half MHW's FW!) Did a single Nintendo fan call Tri on 3DS a failure? No, they didn't!!! Because PSP was approaching the end of its life, and Capcom found themselves compelled (if not forced) to adapt to a new environment. They surmised that screwing over their PS playerbase in favor of Nintendo systems' growing (and misleading) install base at the time, was the most logical step to take. Unless Nintendo showered them with money (and I think they did), Capcom were utterly gullible and dumb to shamelessly skip PS3 and Vita. Nevertheless, they were eventually able to restore and sustain the popularity of the IP.

A similar development is occurring today: 3DS is becoming obsolete. Capcom was pretty much forced to jump into the next big thing, which is the PS4 (backed up by PC/X1) The results so far are excellent! No decline is taking place (Like it initially did on Nintendo platforms) Rather, this may be the first real breakthrough for a MH title in the west. In Japan, it managed to pull off a comparable FW number to their best selling portable iterations. That's nothing short of historic. We're talking 2 million FW on an install base of 6 million! For a series that was believed to perform horribly on home consoles no less! (Capcom themselves are "very surprised" with current results.)

And I'll reiterate one last time: "Capcom can choose to downport the game to Switch, or recycle the content into all new Switch releases."

"a growing userbase is a success, a shrinking one a failure" is not well thought out in my opinion. By this logic, all 3DS Monster Hunter games range from epic to mild failures (in Japan)

I count myself a Nintendo fan and I'm saying if the big selling PSP-titles came first (which I wasn't initially aware of, I thought they were after), then Tri clearly is a failure.

Besides that - every game has challenging side things. I also didn't knew how MHW would turn out. But one thing was clear: calling 1.5M lifetime in Japan a success was outright ridiculous, so I answered to that and got instantly pushback from multiple users.

Yes, at first I got into the trap too, thinking along the lines of Tri and PS2-titles, as these were the last home console releases. But I realized one thing: Capcom wouldn't have done it. Capcom is big enough to do market research and although that is never a solution for all, it would've helped here. The thing is, that all assumed the japanese base would shrink massively based on a decision completely under Capcoms control. If it sells more on handheld, they could've easily decided to put it on 3DS or try it with Switch (maybe both). Even without new developments that meant heavy investments.

So, I try to imagine that the lead developer stands before the managers and explains: we have this successful series in Japan, but we want to change it and need double or triple the budget for that. As one change we propose to put it on home console. Our market research says the japanese base of more than 3 million fans buys it on handheld, to home console would at most transfer 1.5M users - in the best case. We hope to get new western users, that never before showed interest in the series. So please give us more money than usual so that we can alienate the userbase that buys our games for many years now. - How do you think the managers would react?

Therefore I assume Capcoms market research turned up, that the shrink in the japanese base would be moderate at most. Something along the lines that management is willing enough to take the gamble.

Mnementh said:
Signalstar said:
IMO 1 millions is passable. 1.5 million is a success. Everything after that is gravy. Mmmm...gravy.
Farsala said:
With digital it has a high chance imo, but if sales drop like a rock after FW like some games do then it might not.

1.8m+ would be a pretty good result.

1.35M physical first week, 2 million including digital.

Kyuu said:

But to call 3 million in Japan alone "okay" is pretty silly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.