By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch-The platform of ports and shovelware

curl-6 said:
KLXVER said:

Isnt Kirby pretty big? And what happened to "Well its for the people who didn't own a WiiU" argument people like to use? They are getting a "new" Donkey Kong game and a new Zelda spinoff as well... 

Kirby is moderately big, so is Mario Tennis. Nothing else announced so far is though. And even those two are B-tier.

And no, games that released in 2014 are not new. 

Well that's all I got. Nintendo impressed me so much in 2017 that I have no problem giving them the benefit of the doubt. I don't think the ports are the problem for many anyway. I think they weren't the right ports for them. If the two Nintendo ports were Smash Bros and Mario Maker instead of DKCTF and HW, it would probably be a different situation. 

Around the Network

No, the Wii was infested with shovelware... hundreds of bargain-bin titles based on anything and everything imaginable.

The Switch on the other hand has Shovel Knight. Big difference.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Flilix said:
pokoko said:
Good to see ports and remasters have joined DLC on the accepted list. Next up, paying for online.

Ports and remakes have always been on the accepted list though. People have been begging for lots of ports on the Switch even before the presentation last year.

I'm guessing you weren't here when the PS4 launched?  It was a contentious subject.

specialk said:
pokoko said:
Good to see ports and remasters have joined DLC on the accepted list. Next up, paying for online.

I've never seen what's wrong with ports. Games should be on as many platforms as possible. DLC can be good, bad, or neutral. Nintendo has never done bad DLC IMO.

Paid online is yet-to-be-seen.

I agree with you.  Ports allow more people to play a game, which is great, and they allow a developer to expand their fanbase, which is also great.  I never understood why there was so much vitriol on these forums about ports and remasters before and have had many arguments over the subject.

I don't know if Nintendo has ever had bad DLC or not but I firmly believe DLC should be judged individually.  Because game X has bad DLC doesn't mean game Y can't have excellent DLC.

I think paid online is bad in general--however, I also believe a platform-holder can make it a much easier pill to swallow by providing extended value.  

What shovelware? Pretty much most of it is quality indy content, besides the arcade ports which are also good stuff. Switch, along with its 1st-3rd ports & new exclusive games, as well as tons of indy quality stuff, is more or less a superb platform and it hasn't even started.

Watching the events of the cosmos unfold in tears and solitude

??? What are you on about? Shovelware on the Switch is limited to Vroom in the Night Sky and a very small number of other crap. 95% of the eShop are well worth playing, if they're of a genre you like. Just because something isn't to your taste doesn't make it shovelware.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
KLXVER said:

Well if you don't like Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Xenoblade or Mario Kart, there wasn't any big reason to get the Switch in 2017 either...

To be fair if you don't like Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Xenoblade or Mario Kart, you might as well not play videogames.

Why is that?

curl-6 said:
SKMBlake said:

And some of us like to play games they never could play before on other platforms. And it's not like ports prevent new games to be released. Most of the ports we had on the Switch are ports that were released in the same time on the other consoles, I don't see the problem, if third party companies wants to released their remastered versions on another platform, that's pretty cool and not a bad thing.

Skyrim Remastered was released on the Switch as it was released on the PS4/Xbox One
L.A. Noire was released on 3 platform in the same day
Payday 2 Remastered was also released on 3 platform

And so will be Dark Souls.

I was more upset when I saw the AC Rogue One Remastered ad with no mention of a Switch version.

If third party support comes with ports then new games, I'm ok with it. And that's what Bethesda is doing. Doom wasn't a PS360 port, and neither Wolfenstein II will.

It's a problem when a platform only has two significant new games in the first six months of the year, the rest all being recycled games or other low tier content. 

I am prette sure that Nintendo didn't announced hole they 1H 2018. Switch lineup, remember this was Mini Direct, and Nintendo dont have big announcements in Mini Directs, and we alredy saw that with Switch Nintendo is very often announcing some games only 2-3 months before launch, games like Pokken Tournament, Mario Rabbids, Rocket League, Doom, LA Noire, Bayonetta 1 and 2..are all announced only 2-3 months before launch, also last year after January event we had Fire Emblem direct and one normal direct before E3. So its very realistic to expect another normal direct around March with more announcements for Q2 of this year.

zorg1000 said:
Genos8 said:

Do you also agree we there are still announcements left? Like wolfenstein, octopath and DQXI dates. We will likely get a proper direct soon.

I believe thats a strong possibility. If they were showing off everything for the first half of the year than it would have been a full sized direct, not a mini one.

Perhaps this was to get most of the ports, remasters and small-mid tier titles out of the way and give them a little bit of the spotlight while they have a bigger direct soon focusing on some of the big hitters coming up.

Agree.

darkrulier said:

It seems like the Switch has become the platform of choice for not so old ports, a lot of them Wii U ports and shovel ware. Today in my Facebook feed I got blasted with announcements from Nintendo about Hyrule Warriors and DK Tropical Freeze not to mention the plethora of Wii U ports coming to the Switch. In addition to this, have you guys checked out the eshop lately? It is infested with shovel ware. I think this is not a good path for the Switch but, whatever, people seem to like to buy the same games over and over and over and over...

Same as this gen started for PS4 and XBO then

@bolded: Just have a good look at the Playstation store, it's full of shovelware titles. The Switch actually has less showelware than the PS4 by a long shot.

Definitely a ton of ports, but I don't see much shovelware.
Not anywhere on the same level as the Wii.

Folk are complaining about older games coming to the system, whilst begging for the virtual console to play older games :)
Joking aside, the shovelware comment doesn't hold with me. I've found a vast majority of Switch games have been solid to excellent. Does the OP actually own a Switch?