By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch-The platform of ports and shovelware

curl-6 said:
cosmic_drift said:
Bear in mind that this Direct only covers what we're getting during the first half of the year. I don't see why the second half won't be even better, especially if Kimishima expects to sell 20 million Switches throughout this year.

Even for just the first half, having only two significant exclusives, neither of which are big system sellers, isn't great.

Maybe give them a break after the impressive 2017 line up? They are not magicians after all.

Around the Network

DOOOOOM!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

HintHRO said:
caffeinade said:
How dare Nintendo allow the filthy peasants that couldn't afford or justify a WiiU purchase, to play it's games.
How dare Nintendo taint the purity of the WiiU's Exclusives.
How dare Nintendo permit the people who didn't support the WiiU to feel joy.

How dare Nintendo preserve their games.

If you can't afford a Wii U, then you most definitely can't afford a Switch lmao

Don't see them doing the same with way older gems? Where's my Mario Sunshine/Metroid Prime/Pikmin/Paper Mario TTYD/Donkey Kong 64/Mario Kart 64/ Zelda ALttP/Earthbound HD remake? It has to be recent games because they are easier to crap out and people are still buying it.

You can say the same about NES, SNES, N64, GC and Wii, yet all remakes on Wii U Deluxe aka the Switch, are only full-priced Wii U ports. Look how poorly the Gamecube sold. So many gamers missed those games too. Where are the Gamecube remakes then? 

If they want to give people the option to play their older games, they can start with releasing a proper Virtual Console for once. Even the Wii had a few decent N64 games. Then why not Switch? Right now you can look to the left or right besides the Switch games at your local game store to find many Switch games also being on Wii U, but then 50-75% cheaper

Holy shit! I can't tell if you're being serious or not on the GameCube ports and Switch's Virtual Console, but how about letting the system make it through a full year before letting unrealistic expectations cloud your opinion. So far I think Nintendo has been doing everything right, and things will only get better.

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

KLXVER said:
curl-6 said:

Even for just the first half, having only two significant exclusives, neither of which are big system sellers, isn't great.

Maybe give them a break after the impressive 2017 line up? They are not magicians after all.

2017 was awesome and all, but it's no good blowing your load too soon.

Nintendo themselves have acknowledged that a big part of Switch's success was a steady stream of heavy hitters over its first 9 months; they needed to continue this pattern into 2018, not go back to one major title every three months like in the Wii U days.

Genos8 said:
zorg1000 said:
Overall the Q1/Q2 lineup looks good to me, not amazing but not bad either. It has a handful of interesting indies, a handful of remasters/ports of good/great games and a handful of good looking new games.

I do agree with Curl though that as of now its missing a major system seller for the first half of the year thats preventing it from being a great lineup.

Do you also agree we there are still announcements left? Like wolfenstein, octopath and DQXI dates. We will likely get a proper direct soon.

I believe thats a strong possibility. If they were showing off everything for the first half of the year than it would have been a full sized direct, not a mini one.

Perhaps this was to get most of the ports, remasters and small-mid tier titles out of the way and give them a little bit of the spotlight while they have a bigger direct soon focusing on some of the big hitters coming up.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
KLXVER said:

Nintendo themselves have acknowledged that a big part of Switch's success was a steady stream of heavy hitters over its first 9 months; they needed to continue this pattern into 2018, not go back to one major title every three months like in the Wii U days.

Then how about waiting for a little more than 11 days out of 365?

curl-6 said:
KLXVER said:

What heavy hitters were you expecting? Mario, Zelda, MK and Splatoon has already been released. Release Pokémon and SSB in the first half of 2018 and whats left? Animal Crossing maybe.

They needed to make an impression in 2017 and they did. There are still many games coming. They may not be AAA, but its WAY better than what the WiiU usually got.

Genos8 said:
curl-6 said:

Touché!

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

Genos8 said:
curl-6 said:

I'm not pronouncing anything as set in stone, as there is still time for more announcements. All this can be prefaced by an implied "from what we know so far".

KLXVER said:
curl-6 said:

What heavy hitters were you expecting? Mario, Zelda, MK and Splatoon has already been released. Release Pokémon and SSB in the first half of 2018 and whats left? Animal Crossing maybe.

They needed to make an impression in 2017 and they did. There are still many games coming. They may not be AAA, but its WAY better than what the WiiU usually got.

From a system selling POV, why not either Smash or Animal Crossing? Have one in March-May, the next in November, that way even if Pokemon is next year Switch will have a big system seller for each holiday season.

From a personal POV, a new Donkey Kong Country or a new IP might have given me something to play.

curl-6 said:

Metacritic means bugger all, plenty of games I've played with a 90+ Meta have been tedious slogs.

Indies can't replace full fat games, just like trail mix or a snack bar can't replace a substantial meal.

Getting only 2 significant new games in half a year is a Switch problem.

I'm glad someone said it.

meta means Jack shit, so does opencritic, when I play a game it's because it's a game that, itself, appealed to me, there have been times I've played a game, hated it, only to find out its won numerous awards and scored 90+% meta, there has been even more times I've played a game, enjoyed the shit out of it,  gone back for more, double dipped, return to every couple of years to relive the fun, and later I find out that game scored < 65%

people put far too much weight behind numbers and not enough behind thier own personal enjoyment. 

I also find it telling that the "expand your gaming horizons" was said, yet all the games suggested were for a single platform, surely expanding your gaming horizons would mean playing decent games regardless of platform.