By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch-The platform of ports and shovelware

I feel that's a bit of an exaggeration. Yes, there are ports on the system, as there are new games. It's not as if it's dominantly ports. There's quite a number of new games to be played on the system and some of them are excellent as well. There is also the matter that some of these ports have never been on a Nintendo system. I've never played Dark Souls and only vaguely know about Ys, so these are new titles to me. There's also an audience that skipped the Wii U entirely for understandable reasons, so these Wii U ports are justified. Also, I'm sure shovelware is just a small percentage of the overall library on the system.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
darkrulier said:

It seems like the Switch has become the platform of choice for not so old ports, a lot of them Wii U ports and shovel ware. Today in my Facebook feed I got blasted with announcements from Nintendo about Hyrule Warriors and DK Tropical Freeze not to mention the plethora of Wii U ports coming to the Switch. In addition to this, have you guys checked out the eshop lately? It is infested with shovel ware. I think this is not a good path for the Switch but, whatever, people seem to like to buy the same games over and over and over and over...

I hope you realize the shit storm for which you have just created lol.

But I agree. Being a Wii U owner, it seems like I'll be waiting forever to get a new game from them that I want. I got Zelda. I got Mario. What's next? Metroid Prime? No. Pokemon Switch? Hell no. Animal Crossing Switch? Fuck no. Tropical Freeze again? Uggghhh. 

At least at this rate, they're going to run out of games to port that people want and then we'll have a few years of new experiences and games to look forward to. 

Hopefully.

curl-6 said:

KLXVER said:

What heavy hitters were you expecting? Mario, Zelda, MK and Splatoon has already been released. Release Pokémon and SSB in the first half of 2018 and whats left? Animal Crossing maybe.

They needed to make an impression in 2017 and they did. There are still many games coming. They may not be AAA, but its WAY better than what the WiiU usually got.

From a system selling POV, why not either Smash or Animal Crossing? Have one in March-May, the next in November, that way even if Pokemon is next year Switch will have a big system seller for each holiday season.

From a personal POV, a new Donkey Kong Country or a new IP might have given me something to play.

Its all about what we like. I don't like Kirby. I don't like Yoshi. I'm not interested in Mario Tennis, Animal Crossing or Smash Bros. So for me they wouldn't change anything. But the people who do like them will probably have a great 2018. Kirby might be a new Mario like hype game for them.

You kinda have to see it from other peoples view. Nintendo(or any other company for that matter) cant fully satisfy every single fan every single year. I give them some room here because in 2017 they did cater to me and fans like me. And with stuff like Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4, they will keep on catering to fans like me.

KLXVER said:
curl-6 said:

From a system selling POV, why not either Smash or Animal Crossing? Have one in March-May, the next in November, that way even if Pokemon is next year Switch will have a big system seller for each holiday season.

From a personal POV, a new Donkey Kong Country or a new IP might have given me something to play.

Its all about what we like. I don't like Kirby. I don't like Yoshi. I'm not interested in Mario Tennis, Animal Crossing or Smash Bros. So for me they wouldn't change anything. But the people who do like them will probably have a great 2018. Kirby might be a new Mario like hype game for them.

You kinda have to see it from other peoples view. Nintendo(or any other company for that matter) cant fully satisfy every single fan every single year. I give them some room here because in 2017 they did cater to me and fans like me. And with stuff like Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4, they will keep on catering to fans like me.

With a good supply of games though, there is something for just about everyone. This was the case for 2017. The Q1-2 lineup announced so far simply doesn't offer enough big new games. If you don't love Kirby, Mario Tennis, or re-releases/indies, there's simply nothing on offer. 

And even totally disregarding my own tastes, none of the games they have announced thus far are system sellers, which is an issue as going 6 months without a system seller isn't good for a platform's sales momentum.

curl-6 said:
KLXVER said:

With a good supply of games though, there is something for just about everyone. This was the case for 2017. The Q1-2 lineup announced so far simply doesn't offer enough big new games. If you don't love Kirby, Mario Tennis, or re-releases/indies, there's simply nothing on offer. 

And even totally disregarding my own tastes, none of the games they have announced thus far are system sellers, which is an issue as going 6 months without a system seller isn't good for a platform's sales momentum.

Well if you don't like Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Xenoblade or Mario Kart, there wasn't any big reason to get the Switch in 2017 either... Maybe Kirby was what you were waiting for. Maybe Mario Tennis is what you wanted. Who knows? Cant have big system sellers every month or two. Also we don't know every game that's coming to the Switch in the first 6 months. I don't think this Direct was everything that's coming. I would rather have several good smaller games than a big game or two in half a year anyway.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
curl-6 said:

Well if you don't like Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Xenoblade or Mario Kart, there wasn't any big reason to get the Switch in 2017 either... Maybe Kirby was what you were waiting for. Maybe Mario Tennis is what you wanted. Who knows? Cant have big system sellers every month or two. Also we don't know every game that's coming to the Switch in the first 6 months. I don't think this Direct was everything that's coming. I would rather have several good smaller games than a big game or two in half a year anyway.

2017 had 6 big or at least moderately significant games in 9 months; 1 every 1.5 months on average. If 2018 doesn't get more big new games announced for Q1-2, then we're looking at 2 big games in 6 months, which is on par with what we were getting in the Wii U days.

curl-6 said:
KLXVER said:

2017 had 6 big or at least moderately significant games in 9 months; 1 every 1.5 months on average. If 2018 doesn't get more big new games announced for Q1-2, then we're looking at 2 big games in 6 months, which is on par with what we were getting in the Wii U days.

Isnt Kirby pretty big? And what happened to "Well its for the people who didn't own a WiiU" argument people like to use? They are getting a "new" Donkey Kong game and a new Zelda spinoff as well... 

KLXVER said:
curl-6 said:

Indeed, this is true. This Direct technically only covered the first five months of the year. It’s easy to forget, but ahead of the system’s launch people weren’t exactly head-over-heels over games announced for the Switch’s first five months. The big launch game was a port of a Wii U game. The second big Nintendo game was a port of a three-year old Wii U game. The third big game was a weird-looking barebones motion-controlled springy-armed boxing title. The fourth game was a Splatoon 2, which basically looked like Splatoon 1. We didn’t even know about Rabbids yet.

If you didn’t find Arms appealing and didn’t want to play stuff you could just as easily play on the Wii U (and in the case of one of those games, you already have)? You’ve got no reason to play anything on the Switch until Splatoon 2 comes out in July. And lord help you if you don’t care for online multiplayer, because as fun as Splatoon 2’s campaign can be it’s not worth $60.

Switch didn’t really kick into high gear until the fall.

And system sellers are indeed a rare thing. The Switch (arguably) having so many in 2017 was unusual, and thanks in part to Nintendo’s ability to port BotW and MK8 over to the system.

KLXVER said:
curl-6 said:

Isnt Kirby pretty big? And what happened to "Well its for the people who didn't own a WiiU" argument people like to use? They are getting a "new" Donkey Kong game and a new Zelda spinoff as well... 

Kirby is moderately big, so is Mario Tennis. Nothing else announced so far is though. And even those two are B-tier.

And no, games that released in 2014 are not new. 

curl-6 said:
KLXVER said:

There could be strategic angle that Nintendo is taking here. They are expecting to ship 16.78 million units in 2017 (which for them technically ends at the end of March), if they are close to those numbers now and targeting 20 million for the next fiscal year, it might make sense that they would announce or release some of the bigger guns until after the fiscal year has ended so as to not inflate their 2017 number and deflate the 2018 number. While I don't expect Pokemon and Metroid this year, I would imagine they have some stuff up their sleeves if they are targeting 20 million. If we do not get more first-party announcements by the March/April period then I would be more worried, but for a Mini Direct that covered most of Spring and a bit of summer I think it is okay.