Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch-The platform of ports and shovelware

curl-6 said:
KLXVER said:

Maybe give them a break after the impressive 2017 line up? They are not magicians after all.

2017 was awesome and all, but it's no good blowing your load too soon.

Nintendo themselves have acknowledged that a big part of Switch's success was a steady stream of heavy hitters over its first 9 months; they needed to continue this pattern into 2018, not go back to one major title every three months like in the Wii U days.

What heavy hitters were you expecting? Mario, Zelda, MK and Splatoon has already been released. Release Pokémon and SSB in the first half of 2018 and whats left? Animal Crossing maybe.

They needed to make an impression in 2017 and they did. There are still many games coming. They may not be AAA, but its WAY better than what the WiiU usually got.

Around the Network

I am sure the PS4 has nearly the same games on their eshop. How much is shovelware?

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Genos8 said:
curl-6 said:

Nintendo themselves have acknowledged that a big part of Switch's success was a steady stream of heavy hitters over its first 9 months; they needed to continue this pattern into 2018, not go back to one major title every three months like in the Wii U days.

Then how about waiting for a little more than 11 days out of 365?

Are you implying Nintendo didn't announce their entire 2018 lineup in this Mini Direct?!

Genos8 said:
curl-6 said:

Touché!

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

Genos8 said:
curl-6 said:

I'm not pronouncing anything as set in stone, as there is still time for more announcements. All this can be prefaced by an implied "from what we know so far".

KLXVER said:
curl-6 said:

What heavy hitters were you expecting? Mario, Zelda, MK and Splatoon has already been released. Release Pokémon and SSB in the first half of 2018 and whats left? Animal Crossing maybe.

They needed to make an impression in 2017 and they did. There are still many games coming. They may not be AAA, but its WAY better than what the WiiU usually got.

From a system selling POV, why not either Smash or Animal Crossing? Have one in March-May, the next in November, that way even if Pokemon is next year Switch will have a big system seller for each holiday season.

From a personal POV, a new Donkey Kong Country or a new IP might have given me something to play.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Metacritic means bugger all, plenty of games I've played with a 90+ Meta have been tedious slogs.

Indies can't replace full fat games, just like trail mix or a snack bar can't replace a substantial meal.

Getting only 2 significant new games in half a year is a Switch problem.

I'm glad someone said it.

meta means Jack shit, so does opencritic, when I play a game it's because it's a game that, itself, appealed to me, there have been times I've played a game, hated it, only to find out its won numerous awards and scored 90+% meta, there has been even more times I've played a game, enjoyed the shit out of it,  gone back for more, double dipped, return to every couple of years to relive the fun, and later I find out that game scored < 65%

people put far too much weight behind numbers and not enough behind thier own personal enjoyment. 

I also find it telling that the "expand your gaming horizons" was said, yet all the games suggested were for a single platform, surely expanding your gaming horizons would mean playing decent games regardless of platform. 

I feel that's a bit of an exaggeration. Yes, there are ports on the system, as there are new games. It's not as if it's dominantly ports. There's quite a number of new games to be played on the system and some of them are excellent as well. There is also the matter that some of these ports have never been on a Nintendo system. I've never played Dark Souls and only vaguely know about Ys, so these are new titles to me. There's also an audience that skipped the Wii U entirely for understandable reasons, so these Wii U ports are justified. Also, I'm sure shovelware is just a small percentage of the overall library on the system.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

darkrulier said:

It seems like the Switch has become the platform of choice for not so old ports, a lot of them Wii U ports and shovel ware. Today in my Facebook feed I got blasted with announcements from Nintendo about Hyrule Warriors and DK Tropical Freeze not to mention the plethora of Wii U ports coming to the Switch. In addition to this, have you guys checked out the eshop lately? It is infested with shovel ware. I think this is not a good path for the Switch but, whatever, people seem to like to buy the same games over and over and over and over...

I hope you realize the shit storm for which you have just created lol.

But I agree. Being a Wii U owner, it seems like I'll be waiting forever to get a new game from them that I want. I got Zelda. I got Mario. What's next? Metroid Prime? No. Pokemon Switch? Hell no. Animal Crossing Switch? Fuck no. Tropical Freeze again? Uggghhh. 

At least at this rate, they're going to run out of games to port that people want and then we'll have a few years of new experiences and games to look forward to. 

Hopefully.

curl-6 said:

KLXVER said:

From a system selling POV, why not either Smash or Animal Crossing? Have one in March-May, the next in November, that way even if Pokemon is next year Switch will have a big system seller for each holiday season.

From a personal POV, a new Donkey Kong Country or a new IP might have given me something to play.

Its all about what we like. I don't like Kirby. I don't like Yoshi. I'm not interested in Mario Tennis, Animal Crossing or Smash Bros. So for me they wouldn't change anything. But the people who do like them will probably have a great 2018. Kirby might be a new Mario like hype game for them.

You kinda have to see it from other peoples view. Nintendo(or any other company for that matter) cant fully satisfy every single fan every single year. I give them some room here because in 2017 they did cater to me and fans like me. And with stuff like Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4, they will keep on catering to fans like me.

KLXVER said:
curl-6 said:

Its all about what we like. I don't like Kirby. I don't like Yoshi. I'm not interested in Mario Tennis, Animal Crossing or Smash Bros. So for me they wouldn't change anything. But the people who do like them will probably have a great 2018. Kirby might be a new Mario like hype game for them.

You kinda have to see it from other peoples view. Nintendo(or any other company for that matter) cant fully satisfy every single fan every single year. I give them some room here because in 2017 they did cater to me and fans like me. And with stuff like Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4, they will keep on catering to fans like me.

With a good supply of games though, there is something for just about everyone. This was the case for 2017. The Q1-2 lineup announced so far simply doesn't offer enough big new games. If you don't love Kirby, Mario Tennis, or re-releases/indies, there's simply nothing on offer. 

And even totally disregarding my own tastes, none of the games they have announced thus far are system sellers, which is an issue as going 6 months without a system seller isn't good for a platform's sales momentum.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.