By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch-The platform of ports and shovelware

mZuzek said:
Genos8 said:

I don't see any significant amount of shovelware. And the system isn't getting ports INSTEAD of new games so you can't complain even if it got a million ports.

Clearly, he can complain actually.

Well, he can. It just doesn't hold any ground.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Which makes you a minority. 

Plenty of people bought and loved Owlboy - FACT

Celeste has been getting very good previews by different gaming outlets - FACT

Fe looks interesting and has gotten positive responses as well - FACT

Mario Tennis Aces looks like a big step up from the stinking pile of poo that was the Wii U game (story mode, different fields, bosses, etc.) - FACT

Dark Souls (Remastered) is a game loved by many and this is the first time it releases on a (portable) Nintendo console, which kind of makes it a big deal - FACT

Dragon Quest Builders received good reviews on the PS4 and has never been on Nintendo consoles before - FACT

Also keep in mind that most people did not own a Wii U. Only around one million people bought a gem like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. It's no surprise that Nintendo decided to port it. It will be a new game for many. 

I'm sure there is an audience for games like Kirby Star Allies, Mario Tennis Aces, and Dark Souls Switch, though I doubt any of them will bring hoards of new consumers flocking to the Switch.

My issue is this; why could they not have more major new games for Q1-Q2? Stuff like a new Donkey Kong Country, Pikmin 4, or a new IP? Now that Nintendo only has one platform to focus on, there's no excuse for their output not to be better than this.

Just because they have one platform doesn’t mean every game should be ready in months or in 1-2 Years. Why wasn’t Mario Odyssey just sooner even though it was notably close to completion way before October? Plus Xenoblade 2 took 3 Years to complete. It took Nintendo about 2 years to develop Splatoon 2 and that game is still getting updated.

Kai_Mao said:
curl-6 said:

I'm sure there is an audience for games like Kirby Star Allies, Mario Tennis Aces, and Dark Souls Switch, though I doubt any of them will bring hoards of new consumers flocking to the Switch.

My issue is this; why could they not have more major new games for Q1-Q2? Stuff like a new Donkey Kong Country, Pikmin 4, or a new IP? Now that Nintendo only has one platform to focus on, there's no excuse for their output not to be better than this.

Just because they have one platform doesn’t mean every game should be ready in months or in 1-2 Years. Why wasn’t Mario Odyssey just sooner even though it was notably close to completion way before October? Plus Xenoblade 2 took 3 Years to complete. It took Nintendo about 2 years to develop Splatoon 2 and that game is still getting updated.

Retro have done nothing since 2013. Pikmin 4 was said to be nearly finished in 2015.

The Positive Curl era is over.
Negative Curl has returned.

Simpleton said:
The Positive Curl era is over.
Negative Curl has returned.

Not necessarily an era; if Nintendo have another Direct in March or something where they announce major new games and system sellers for this year, I'll be happy again. ;)

Around the Network

There has been a lot of ports, but not really much shovelware.

curl-6 said:

High end and high production value game development is hard even for Nintendo with only one platform. It's just not viable for Nintendo to keep being the sole provider of AAA games for their own platform going forward in the future ... 

Nintendo are left to fend for themselves when not even developers from their own domestic market will support them. (A good portion of Japanese AAA games or even smaller titles will skip the Switch and developers won't feel like their missing out either) I can imagine a scenario where Nintendo goes down in the next generation where they won't be able to sustain their output when they have to keep up with the technology ... 

Releasing 2 or 3 7th gen tier software every year is difficult especially with Nintendo's workforce so time is not on Nintendo's side ... 

For now I will reserve my judgement. Ive been hoping for a dktf rerelease for a while now so I can’t complain. Combine that with bayonetta 1+ 2 and dark souls and these will tide me over until the bigger and better things come (hopefully sooner rather than later) although I wish there had been at least one big surprise in there (a new game I mean or a release date of one of the bigger games we already know about)...sigh I can never tell if Nintendo are Biding their time time or selling snake oil...sometimes it feels like a bit of both.

Shovelware: A good number of those eShop indie games are decent, and the vast majority of them (including some that people consider shove ware) are available on PS4 and Xbox One as well. Sorry but just because an indie studio does not have AAA budget and has more modest production value does not meant that their game is shovel ware. If you want to talk shovel ware look at the licensed TV/movie garbage that were on consoles before they all moved to mobile or the Wii waggle games that had no actual gameplay or were broken. Also, Switch has over 100 games (many of them those indie games that you consider to be shovel ware) with metacritic ratings of 75 or over including two of the highest rated games of the generation and in general. The system is no more of a shovel ware magnet than the other 2 (since practically every third-party indie game on the Switch eShop is on the other two systems as well).

Ports: The Switch is a port heavy system, more so than PS4 and Xbox One, but it is because a lot of people want to play many of these games that were previously only available on the go. Also, just because a game was available on a prior system does not mean that owners of that system necessary played it or finished it. I have a number of games that I have and have not bought on Wii U and of those that were purchased there are some that I was able to finish because of time constraints, having these games on the go is something I like. So for people like me, it is not about playing the same game over and over again, especially since I did not buy or was unable to finish the game the first time around. Also it is worth mentioning that the PS4 and Xbox One's first two years were dominated by ports and remakes of PS3 and Xbox 360 games, even now we still get a lot of remakes from those older systems.

New games: This is something that you did not mention. The Switch received a great number of new games in 2017. Xenoblade X, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, ARMS. Nintendo has announced a brand new Kirby, Yoshi, Mario Tennis game for the first half of the year. Moreover, this is not even their full year lineup, but rather their lineup for a slower part of the year. You analysis includes no mention of these new games...nope they are all ignored.

nemo37 said:
 Nintendo has announced a brand new Kirby, Yoshi, Mario Tennis game for the first half of the year. 

Yoshi has not been announced as coming in the first half of the year.