By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS2 shipped 100 million in 5 years and 9 months. When will PS4 do the same?

DonFerrari said:

I didn't say we have to do it.

I said that if we use normal alignment PS4 shall reach it faster, but if we align the 3 major regions then PS4 won't do it. Just that.

But why should we even do that though? 

Its like trying to solve a problem that doesn't even exist.

For Sony, they made x number of PS2s and released in japan first. When they could get manufacturing up to XX number of consoles they released in other regions. 

If this whole thing took say 12 months, sony is  not gonna launch align regions to measure sales. They will just look at when they started making and shipping out PS2s and count how many they have sold in total. Simple as that. 

This is why I have never got this whole region aligned thing. Just makes no sense to me. 

Ok... another reason this whole region thing doesnt make sense.... I am sure total lifetime sales of the PS2 would end up being more than whatever the total lifetime sales of the PS4 in NA alone will be. It managed like 47M sales in NA alone... even after it released almost 10 months later in that region. But yet, over all, all the regions combined the PS4 is selling faster than the PS2. 

The way markets work is that certain regions have less or more significance as generations change with regard to any given platform. 

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

I didn't say we have to do it.

I said that if we use normal alignment PS4 shall reach it faster, but if we align the 3 major regions then PS4 won't do it. Just that.

For Sony, they made x number of PS2s and released in japan first. When they could get manufacturing up to XX number of consoles they released in other regions. 

If this whole thing took say 12 months, sony is  not gonna launch align regions to measure sales. They will just look at when they started making and shipping out PS2s and count how many they have sold in total. Simple as that. 

This is why I have never got this whole region aligned thing. Just makes no sense to me. 

Ok... another reason this whole region thing doesnt make sense.... I am sure total lifetime sales of the PS2 would end up being more than whatever the total lifetime sales of the PS4 in NA alone will be. It managed like 47M sales in NA alone... even after it released almost 10 months later in that region. But yet, over all, all the regions combined the PS4 is selling faster than the PS2. 

The way markets work is that certain regions have less or more significance as generations change with regard to any given platform. 

VGC needs ways to dismiss Sony success... like PS1, PS2 and PS4 only sold well because of other people mistakes and no Sony merits, only PS3 is based on Sony merits and that is why they sold bad (that is considering it outsold most consoles considered sucessful by those people)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Well it should have be around 78 - 80 Million shipped by Dec 31st 2017. So I am going to say it hits 100+ Million shipped by Dec 31st 2018. I believe 2018 will be even better than 2017.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Early 2019. Believe!

How much quicker would PS2 have have hit 100M if it had a new $299 Pro model 3 years into it's life cycle? I would hope that PS4 can easily beat PS2's 100M mark, or PS4 maybe isn't quite as strong as some might believe.

Around the Network

Will it hit 100m faster than the wii did?

Pinkie_pie said:
Will it hit 100m faster than the wii did?

*edited:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_sales

2006 -> 2013 (30th of june)  to hit 100m (6years and 5months?).

So it looks like the PS4 will beat the Wii to 100m.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 07 January 2018

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the ps2 numbers are shipped not sold to to the consumer.

Spring to summer 2019.

DonFerrari said:
Intrinsic said:

VGC needs ways to dismiss Sony success... like PS1, PS2 and PS4 only sold well because of other people mistakes and no Sony merits, only PS3 is based on Sony merits and that is why they sold bad (that is considering it outsold most consoles considered sucessful by those people)

Wait what? PS3 was the fault of Sony. And they were able to turn the ship while it was on the market, a big thing. With PS4 Sony learned from the PS3-mistakes and fixed them. All three successful consoles were successes made by Sony, and the relative weak PS3 was their mistake too.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]