By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS2 shipped 100 million in 5 years and 9 months. When will PS4 do the same?

Azuren said:
JRPGfan said:

The 617.8m number? that avg of 8.8 games pr PS4 atm.....

Wonder how high that number will be by 2020, when PS5 launches.

I meant the PS2's software number.

1,661.....  617.8m down, only 1,043m more to go :p

Around the Network

It’s possible, definitely going to be a close one, depends on how well PS4 does this year

spurgeonryan said:
The price is really cheap right now, so yes.

Really cheap? 

Four years into the life of the PS2 it had already dropped in price from $299 to $149. Thats a 50% official price drop. 2 years into its life its price was slashed 33% from $200 to $199.

The PS4 has not even officially dropped to $249 yet and we are hoping it gets down to $199 officially this year.

If you ask me i think its unnecessarily still expensive. But yh, its going to hit that 100M mark first.

Intrinsic said:
spurgeonryan said:
The price is really cheap right now, so yes.

Really cheap? 

Four years into the life of the PS2 it had already dropped in price from $299 to $149. Thats a 50% official price drop. 2 years into its life its price was slashed 33% from $200 to $199.

The PS4 has not even officially dropped to $249 yet and we are hoping it gets down to $199 officially this year.

If you ask me i think its unnecessarily still expensive. But yh, its going to hit that 100M mark first.

^ this.

I wanna see Playstation try to beat the PS2 not in terms of profits made, but in terms of sales too.
The quicker they bring down the official price's the bigger the chances of that happending.

should reach it in less time than the ps2, i think in the first quarter of 2019 should be possible

Around the Network

Considering we aligning only launches (not each region) it can, if we were to launch each region as if they released WW at once then no chance.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Azuren said:
I'm more interested in PS4 hitting that insane software count.

Considering more indies and SW sold, it shall get over 1.5B total, not on VGC though.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Considering we aligning only launches (not each region) it can, if we were to launch each region as if they released WW at once then no chance.

This weird maths again...... I just can't understand it.

From launch day to 5yr 9 months in to its life the PS2 sold 100M consoles.

Why the hell does it matter if it released in this region or that? It staggered its release across regions because they simply could not make enough consoles to meet demand across all regions. I don't get the confusion here. 

Its like we are saying... If they could only make 5M consoles in one year and 20M people wanted to buy it..... it doesn't matter where or how many regions they released... they would have still sold only 5M consoles.

Ca someone please explain this region sales nonsense to me and how it affects the overall amount of consoles a platform sells?

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

Why the hell does it matter if it released in this region or that? It staggered its release across regions because they simply could not make enough consoles to meet demand across all regions. I don't get the confusion here. 

Its like we are saying... If they could only make 5M consoles in one year and 20M people wanted to buy it..... it doesn't matter where or how many regions they released... they would have still sold only 5M consoles.

Ca someone please explain this region sales nonsense to me and how it affects the overall amount of consoles a platform sells?

I dont get it either, feels borderline trolling.
I think its a way to downplay the PS4 success.

In the end all that matters, is factual data, and launch to date, for both is just the only real way to measure these things. Everything else is just manipulateing numbers to show whatever it is you want them to show.

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

I didn't say we have to do it.

I said that if we use normal alignment PS4 shall reach it faster, but if we align the 3 major regions then PS4 won't do it. Just that.