By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS2 shipped 100 million in 5 years and 9 months. When will PS4 do the same?

JRPGfan said:
LethalP said:

The PS4 is selling really good and I expect that to continue. It sold 70.6 million in 4 years and 2 weeks (integral Black Friday weeks). It's probably going to hit 100 million in the next 24 months. Question is, can it do it in less time than the PS2 did?

The PS1 took 9 years and 6 months to reach the same milestone for comparison.

Hmmm.... March 2019?.... so thats what? 4 years and 5 month's  (~53 months)?

If the PS2 really took 5years (in actually months (5x12 = 60months), then I think PS4 could do it quicker).

Barkley said:
It should have shipped around 100m units by March 2019, so about 5 years 4 months.

Lmao good prediction :) I posted mine and went to look at the thread and saw your post.

But 5years and 4months sounds wrong doesnt it?

2months -> 2013 -> 2014. so +2months

2018-2014 = 4 years.

3 months into 2019 = +3 months.

4 years +5 (3+2) months = March of 2019  right?

It launched November 2013. So November 2018 would be 5 years later, March 2019 is 4 months after November 2018.

Around the Network
Vor said:
Interesting question, but that makes me wonder. If VGChartz is anything to go by, the DS took 4 years and 5 month to reach 100 million sold, and therefore is the current record holder. Can the PS4 (or any future console) beat this record? Cuz you know, comparing it to PS2 is boring

*edit: doesnt look like it ll ever happend.

Barkley said:
JRPGfan said:

Hmmm.... March 2019?.... so thats what? 4 years and 5 month's  (~53 months)?

If the PS2 really took 5years (in actually months (5x12 = 60months), then I think PS4 could do it quicker).

Lmao good prediction :) I posted mine and went to look at the thread and saw your post.

But 5years and 4months sounds wrong doesnt it?

2months -> 2013 -> 2014. so +2months

2018-2014 = 4 years.

3 months into 2019 = +3 months.

4 years +5 (3+2) months = March of 2019  right?

It launched November 2013. So November 2018 would be 5 years later, March 2019 is 4 months after November 2018.

f*** I fail at math, lmao.

So around 5year's and 4months.... so it "should" beat the PS2 to 100m?

I think it will beat PS2 (first to 100m).

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

I'm more interested in PS4 hitting that insane software count.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
BraLoD said:

I hope Sony throws a party once it hits 100M xD

And a proper party at that. If it does it before e3 save the announcement for the conference. Fireworks and rain the crowd in confetti. It's a major milestone that deserves a big celebration. 

Depending on a ps4 Pro slim, a super slim and maybe even a ps4 portable, who knows how high it can go. 

BraLoD said:
Azuren said:

Considering the site only tracks retail, it never will.

One can dream. I mean, you have your wet dreams about LoD coming back, so let me have mine.

Vor said:
Interesting question, but that makes me wonder. If VGChartz is anything to go by, the DS took 4 years and 5 month to reach 100 million sold, and therefore is the current record holder. Can the PS4 (or any future console) beat this record? Cuz you know, comparing it to PS2 is boring

I think it’s safe to say no device will ever have a chance at beating that record, even if they manage to outsell it LT. ~4 1/2 years is insanely fast. The comparisons aren’t being made though because they’re two completely different devices, plus PS4 to PS2 isn’t boring because it shows just how great Playstation can do, even when it faces much stronger competition. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Azuren said:

The 617.8m number? that avg of 8.8 games pr PS4 atm.....

Wonder how high that number will be by 2020, when PS5 launches.

JRPGfan said:
Azuren said:

The 617.8m number? that avg of 8.8 games pr PS4 atm.....

Wonder how high that number will be by 2020, when PS5 launches.

I meant the PS2's software number.