By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January 2007 NPD Predictions

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12724 Sometimes reliable Patcher has Wii selling 500k in N.A. in January, while PS3 sells 300k. No word on 360... Interestingly, this website has Wii N.A. sales at 462k and PS3 N.A. sales at 278k since the start of 2007. Thursday should be interesting...

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Pachter is off by tons sometimes. I don't know if his predictions are trustworthy at all...

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

robjoh said: Is that good? I mean doesn't it show that graphics doesn't matter?
Maybe it shows that price and good games matter...

Now Loading... Please Wait!

When is NPD reporting? So I can post my predictions at the last moment. I hate the fanboys stirring up this stuff. Really, comments should be more intelligent than they are. Anyway, *if* the PS3 sells 300k for January that would be ridiculously good. Considering the price, the competition, it would be selling as well in America as the PS2 did after its launch, and the PS3 has the longest shelf life of any of the consoles. HDMI 1.3, Surround sound 5.1, Blu-ray player, and the 8spes that have not even come close to being fully utilized. I have not got a Wii yet, but I do have a 360. A lot of 360 games got pushed back, which makes me upset. Alan Wake, Mass Effect, Bioshock. So did some PS3 games, Lair and Heavenly Sword being the biggest ones. The thing many people overlook is the 360 was not future proofed and you will have to spend more money to keep up with technology (more hard drive space, wifi, hdmi, hd-dvd add-on). It won't last as long as the PS3. The Wii I don't see lasting as long as the 360 or PS3. Especially as HDTV became the standard purchase in 2006. It had more than 50% of all TV purchases in 2006. ANd it doesn't take advantage of what people will be seeing in the coming years, especially with HD broadcasting, HD movies, a lot of people will want to see that from games too and the Wii doesn't deliver it. I saw FNR3 was coming to Wii, I'm gonna love to see how that looks, because I'm guessing it will look just as bad as Call of Duty 3 did and it's really gonna ruin the game, sure motion control will be cool but when you look at that game on 360 and PS3 the Wii version is gonna look aweful. Especially since EA is doing the port, those guys are lazy bums. Still, I will probably get a Wii one day cause I want to play Zelda, Metroid, Mario Party, Smash brothers.

I'm actually interested in the tie ratios almost as much as the actual hardware/software data. If Sony's tie ratio stays under two then I think Sony is going to have a 2007 like Nintendo's 1997. Wii tie ratio I expect to be approaching 3 games per system by January end(generally Zelda, Red Steel and either Trauma Center, Madden, or Raving Rabbits). By end of February, tie ratio should be in the 3.5 to 5 range (Zelda, Red Steel and some 3 other games from Sonic, SSX, Madden, Raving Rabbits, Trauma Center, Wii Play and Wario Ware) PS3 ratio seems to be around 1-1.5 (Resistance..and half the owners bought one more game) Should improve to around 2-3 in February. 360 will be interesting too. I want to see how Gears of War and Lost Planet effect things.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Expecting any surprises ?

- Lao Tzu

IF what patcher said. IF what someone else said that you can find Wiis sitting on shelves... PS3 has already won. Not saying the PS3 has won. Just saying. IF the PS3 is catching up with Wii sales... and IF the Wii production is more than demand. That says nintendo's ~700,000/month is more than enough. And Sony's 1million+/month is still selling quite well. And not in Europe. If March sales the PS3 passes the Wii. It is gameover for 3rd party games. Sony's launches have always been slow. And once they get steam. It is decided. Sony is looking at 1 to 2million for the europe launch. The PS3 will be in the ballpark of 2 or 2.5million worldwide at end of febuary. I see Sony selling 500,000 units USA in march. And I see 1million (at least) in Europe. That gives sony 4 or even 5million by the end of March. If Wii sales are down... they might be at... at best 6million. If the PS3 bombs in Europe. (eg. 250,000 sales/500,000 sales) I might rethink my logic on PS3 vs Wii. But the PS3 has no software. IT all comes starting last week febuary... and ends in early April. March will be a monster month for Sony. April will be a big month. Skip a month. And June is another good release month. I was guessing 250,000. January PS3 sales. Sonys game starts March. If sony starts selling what Nintendo is selling... or closing the gap... With nothing new out. Someone made the analogy of David vs Goliath. If the PS3 sells 300,000+ All I gotta say is. David did a cheapshot on Goliaths private parts. And is now Goliath is getting on his feet... Rather angry.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad - I think Sony will catch up some in March. Sony should outsell Nintendo and Microsoft in Europe in March. However, this will be shortlived. Barring a price drop, 360 and Wii hold their own in Japan, selling roughly 1.5-2 times what Sony sells until games like Metal Gear Solid 4 come out. In Japan, Microsoft remains largely irrelevant, and at least short term (till say...June..more likely later), Nintendo has the software to outsell Sony in Japan 3 or 4 to 1. However, because Microsoft has a rapidly shrinking market in Japan, Microsoft's worldwide marketshare will decrease throughout the year more than Sony's. If Sony is to come out on top, eventually, it will not happen at the end of this year for three reasons. 1) Wii will have a 1-2.5 million lead at least Europe by the time PS3 comes out. 360 will be like 3-5 million ahead in Europe by that point. 2) Wii will outsell PS3 in Japan this year because it will be cheaper, because of games like DDR, Smash Brothers, Wii Sports, Galaxy, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Mario Party 8, Dragon Quest. I'm sure many of Sony's new IP's will do quite well in the West over time. But Japan seems to be growing tired of less social orientated games. Just look at what sold last gen - Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Smash Brothers, Soccer and Baseball games, Mario Party, Dynasty Warriors, Mario, Mario Kart. Although some of these titles will decline in sales, excercise and physical 'training' games have enormous potential in Japan for Wii. At this point Sony needs Kojima, Namco, and Capcom to make PS3 RPGS so Sony remains above niche/360 levels in Japan... 3) Many consumers see PS3 and 360 as roughly the same product, just with a few different sounding bells and whistles. Remember the consumer confusions over 'box shaped consoles' last gen(Gamecube and Xbox)?, Nintendo found a method of differentiation. Sony and Microsoft are relying on abstract ideas about media for differentiation. I do believe the differences will become apparent in later 08' and 09'. But for now, expect Wii to outsell PS3 at rates of 1.5:1 to 4:1...depending on the market.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said: Kwaad - I think Sony will catch up some in March. Sony should outsell Nintendo and Microsoft in Europe in March. However, this will be shortlived. Barring a price drop, 360 and Wii hold their own in Japan, selling roughly 1.5-2 times what Sony sells until games like Metal Gear Solid 4 come out. In Japan, Microsoft remains largely irrelevant, and at least short term (till say...June..more likely later), Nintendo has the software to outsell Sony in Japan 3 or 4 to 1. However, because Microsoft has a rapidly shrinking market in Japan, Microsoft's worldwide marketshare will decrease throughout the year more than Sony's. If Sony is to come out on top, eventually, it will not happen at the end of this year for three reasons. 1) Wii will have a 1-2.5 million lead at least Europe by the time PS3 comes out. 360 will be like 3-5 million ahead in Europe by that point. 2) Wii will outsell PS3 in Japan this year because it will be cheaper, because of games like DDR, Smash Brothers, Wii Sports, Galaxy, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Mario Party 8, Dragon Quest. I'm sure many of Sony's new IP's will do quite well in the West over time. But Japan seems to be growing tired of less social orientated games. Just look at what sold last gen - Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Smash Brothers, Soccer and Baseball games, Mario Party, Dynasty Warriors, Mario, Mario Kart. Although some of these titles will decline in sales, excercise and physical 'training' games have enormous potential in Japan for Wii. At this point Sony needs Kojima, Namco, and Capcom to make PS3 RPGS so Sony remains above niche/360 levels in Japan... 3) Many consumers see PS3 and 360 as roughly the same product, just with a few different sounding bells and whistles. Remember the consumer confusions over 'box shaped consoles' last gen(Gamecube and Xbox)?, Nintendo found a method of differentiation. Sony and Microsoft are relying on abstract ideas about media for differentiation. I do believe the differences will become apparent in later 08' and 09'. But for now, expect Wii to outsell PS3 at rates of 1.5:1 to 4:1...depending on the market.
I have no idea what the japan numbers will look like. Sony is haveing a horrendus launch. And their not getting support. (most likely the lack of software) NA If the PS3 starts outselling the Wii in March. There is a decent chance it will outsell 360 by the end of the year. There is also a good chance it would outsell the Wii. EU The PS3 launches in March. Enough said. Europe is the worlds biggest game market right now. And Shows biggest support for adult orientated high end equipment. (PS3). Most people I know in europe... plan on getting a PS3. (that do the console thing) If March is as good a month as I think it will be for sony. I can see upwards of 5million PS3 worldwide. June would be another big month. And I see PS3 hitting possibly even 6million by the end of July. Come the round end of 2007. I say at least 12million PS3. (funny as that is... isnt that Sonys predictions too?) I see Wii doing... worldwide. about 12million as well. However most of their consoles in japan + close second/third in US/EU. I see all 3 consoles haveing worldwide... about 12-15million. I dont see 360 sales picking up. But I'm not gonna count it out till it starts looseing software. (If sony sells as well as I think they will... I'm quite sure Alot of the PS2 exclusive developers... will jump on the PS3 exclusive bandwagon. I think their doing multiplatform at the moment, because of the high budget+low console count.) But the next 6 months is the most imporant time for PS3/Wii. PS3 is blowing 360 out of the water. Wii is blowing everything out of the water. But because of it's abstract system... every one is looking and saying. "Well... It has potential to be a killer machine... and it has potential... to be a failure." If Sales drop on the Wii like they do with all nintendo consoles since N64... I doubt Wii will get too many 3rd party exclusives. I'm still saying Wii will impress me if it sells 50million/worldwide. (end of it's life)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

I don't think any console sells over 55 million this generation. I say with the expensive pricing around 130 million consoles are sold this generation.. I'd do it like this overall (say in 2011): Japan Wii - 15 million PS3 - 5 million 360 - 1 million Europe 360 - 25 million Wii - 15 million PS3 - 10 million Americas 360 - 25 million Wii - 18 million PS3 - 16 million PS3 - 31 million Wii - 48 million 360 - 51 million I think all three systems become like the Nintendo 64 in some sense because they each offer enhancements. PS3 is most powerful. 360 is most online oriented. Wii is motion sension ready. This leads to 3 Nintendo 64 scenarios where like 5 major developers provide big exclusives to each system to optimize the capabilities...the rest boils down to first party, where Nintendo>Sony>Microsoft in Japan, the three are seen as near equal in America, and in Europe it is probably seen as Nintendo=Sony>Microsoft. In terms of how major exclusive games will be made... Wii PS3 360 ALL Wii and PS3 Wii and 360 PS3 and 360 Nintendo Sony Microsoft EA Square-Enix Ubisoft Take Two That leaves Capcom, Sega, Konami, Namco, Midway, Activision, THQ to supplement the major offerings. I believe that will break down like this: Wii - THQ, Namco, Sega, Midway, Activision, Capcom PS3 - Konami, Sega, Midway, Activision, Namco 360 - Capcom, Konami, Activision, Sega, Midway This is contingent on three huge assumptions: 1) MGS4 goes on 360 and PS3 to cover its enormous development costs... 2) Capcom retains its competent revolution to bring games to the dominant platform (360 America, Wii Japan) 3) Namco and Sega try to pimp out cheap hits alongside expensive to make hits to cover costs.

- Lao Tzu