By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January 2007 NPD Predictions

So we can expect new numbers by this Monday then. Hopefully, they'll do it this Friday. eta: I just went to the official NPD website and they say this: CLIENT ALERT: January 2007 will be a five-week rather than four-week reporting period. The Retail Calendar utilized by The NPD Group for North America measures out 12 reporting periods of four or five weeks, spanning 364 days per year -- one day short of the calendar year of 365 days.

Around the Network

NPD is always released on a thursday afternoon. In fact it's always the second thursday after the monthly reporting period ends (which I believe USUALLY is the second Thursday of the month...). They had like one time they delayed the numbers one day to recalculate them or something, so it was on a Friday last January. That was a fluke though, they're normally always released on Thurs. I was fully expecting the numbers on the 8th (this Thurs) since that's the second Thurs this month.. but now ranzchic's post makes me worry it might not be until the NEXT Thursday because of the extra week :( But overall I dont know, we'll see. We know it'll be on the second thurs after the reporting period ends..now we just need to know when the Jan reporting period ended.

There might be an extra burst of Wii sales for the US - but only for Jan. The reasoning is, that Nintendo said to have shipped 1mill (?) units in December, but only 550k were sold - the rest were in transit. Dec was also weaker than normal, due to the launches in Europe/Japan. I think Nintendo are making about 800k-1000k/month (Wiis). Japan is getting about 90k/week (approx 400k for the month), I expect the US/Canada to get at least 250k-350k (some still in transit?), and the rest for Europe. I think its possible Jan could do 900k Wiis - but its very unlikely. I am guessing closer to the 550k mark again (300k left-over from Dec shipments/last week in Dec + 250k new units shipped).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

CLIENT ALERT January 2007 will be a five-week, rather than four-week, reporting period. Our 4-4-5 Retail Calendar (for North America only) measures out 12 reporting periods of four or five weeks, spanning 364 days per year -- one day short of the calendar year of 365 days. The consequence is that the reporting periods drift backward on the calendar by approximately one day per year. This requires a "leap week" to be added to the January reporting period (typically a four-week period) every five to six years in order to preserve the seasonal integrity of the months. The January 2007 reporting period will include the required "leap week" and will therefore be a five-week month. This adjustment is consistent with the NRF's published retailer calendar. The January 2008 reporting period will return to a four-week duration.

So does this mean the data comes out the 15th...? Or is the 5 week period really counting some of December since 1 day is lost most years?

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

It's been comfirmed by SonyCowboy at GAF that Jan NPD will be out Jan 15. So yep, it did get delayed a week for the whole leap week thing.

I just want to say that December ended on the day after x-mas I think. And January is picking up after that, Till the end of January. I'm not sure when the data is coming either. Just saying the extra week came before january, not after. ;)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

When you say that, do you mean the first month the PS2 wont be on the top 10, or the last month it will touch the top 10. EDIT: Post # 101!!!

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said: When you say that, do you mean the first month the PS2 wont be on the top 10, or the last month it will touch the top 10. EDIT: Post # 101!!!
PS2. Is outselling PS3 in US. And Japan. ROFL

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said: Kwaad said: When you say that, do you mean the first month the PS2 wont be on the top 10, or the last month it will touch the top 10. EDIT: Post # 101!!! PS2. Is outselling PS3 in US. And Japan. ROFL
Is that good? I mean doesn't it show that graphics doesn't matter?

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!