By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Switch has become the fastest selling video game system of all time in the US

RolStoppable said:
Chorlin said:

Do you have a source to prove this??
And by how much did the GBA beat the Switch in its first 10 months?

A graph with NPD numbers for various systems was posted in this thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8680023

The GBA beat the Switch by 1m units. It's at 5.8m after ten months. The Switch line on the graph stops at month 5 because it's an old graph, but we know from Nintendo's announcement that it managed to sell 4.8m. That's good enough for a comfortable second place, but still notably behind the GBA.

Thank you! :D

Around the Network

In a Country where power and performance basically means everything? Has Nin in some way figured out how to switch dimensions or parallel universes? It would explain the recent election and why flat earth is gaining so much traction.

Jokes aside, props.

SuperNova said:
DonFerrari said:

Sure thing... and sure MS or Sony if launching a hybrid wouldn't have 3rd party support right? PS1 and X360 could become runaway success even with little first party content and still managed to get third parties onboard.

What you are saying is basically that Nintendo is the only one who could make Switch successful despite not having good relationship with 3rd parties, while the initial point was that Nintendo is the only company that could have made a hybrid console which then changed to be the only one that could make it sucessful and now the first one to make it or the only one that could do it only with 1st party... you are changing the goalpost as much as SpokenTruth is accusting quickrick of.

Well, it's not neccessaryly my point, even though I agree with it, but Rols in the first place. That being said, again, that's not what I'm saying. Not sure why you're bringing up 360 and Ps3 either, as those two are about as traditional as homeconsoles get. There was never a reason for third parties not to jump on board.

The whole point is that third parties would be sceptical with jumping on board of a hybrid console no matter who brought it to market.

So yes, if Sony had announced the Ps4 with Switch specs (already unrealistic since the chip wasn't even out yet, but bear with me) as a hybrid and brought it market in 2013, with no traditional homeconsole in sight, third parties absolutely would have been highly sceptical. Especially if Sonys two competitors came to market with largely traditional and vastly more powerful consoles. It's even worse if you reverse the situation to MS, who don't even have any experience in the Handheld market at all. 

Sony has a lot of goodwill from third parties, while Nintendo has a damaged relationship with a lot of them, but my point was that the individual companies standing with third parties is laregly incedental to the third parties being sceptical of new concepts.

Nintendo has a history of know-how and success in the handheld space, aiding that aspect of development greatly, and has the IP and money to survive without full third party support, wich neiter MS nor Sony do.

It was never 'nintendo are the only ones who could make a Hybrid console', it was 'nintendo are the only ones who could make a hybrid console work'. BIg diffrence.

If you think sony could have pulled it off, fair enough. I personally have my doubts seeing the less than stellar support the vita recieved and MS would straight up have not survived trying the hybrid concept, they don't have the neccessary hardware expertise or IPs.

The point was about PS1 and X360 being succesfull even thought they didn't had much 1st party content which nullifies the notion that Switch-like HW could only be sucessful with strong 1st party games. The point of they being skeptical isn't valid since the devs have put games for consoles and HH before, so the fact that it's hybrid shouldn't make it impossible when the companies have good relationship.

The companies could be skeptical, but that is what relationship and bringing aboard is about, and presenting the project in a way to entice they

There is a difference between could have and did. Sony pulled PSP good and screwed PSVita... doesn't mean their hybrid would be either of the cases.

If we were to put the failures as a mean of impossibility than Wii and Switch shouldn't be good sellers since N64, GC and WiiU were hard floppers. And GBA and DS should also be bad since Virtua Boy.

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

He made a single sentence...

Very pretty your explanation for trust on PSP and not on PSVita, and the trust for PS1 came from?

Nope no flaw in saying Apple could make a succesfull HW. And also there wouldn't be much flaw in saying Nintendo could make a phone (except that their good part is on SW not HW)

So you really do look only at a single sentence despite his follow-up post that should have removed all ambiguity for what he meant.

The trust for the PS1 came from the distrust for Nintendo and Sega. Many third parties were unsure about the PS1 at first, but as soon as the console presented itself as a viable alternative to Nintendo and Sega, things got really rolling for the PS1. Other competitors in the early '90s (3DO, CD-i, Pippin, Jaguar) had failed spectacularly. Sony being an electronics giant didn't mean all that much in the big picture, because companies like Apple or Philips couldn't take advantage of their successes in other fields. For third parties it was clear that they had to find an alternative to Nintendo and Sega, but it wasn't until the PS1 that a serious opportunity arrived. Nintendo had strict policies to prevent a repeat of the Atari crash, Sega ultimately wanted to be like Nintendo; that's why Sega wasn't the savior that third parties had hoped for.

If you believe that Nintendo could make a successful phone... I don't really have an answer for that.

Nope I looked at his full post... and on the later posts he moved the goalpost.

And Sony couldn't pull a hybrid like they pulled PS1 because?

Why couldn't Nintendo make a successful phone? Didn't say it's likely or that they would even try, still a lot of companies come from 0 and bring something disruptive and win market without even being know.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
SuperNova said:

Well, it's not neccessaryly my point, even though I agree with it, but Rols in the first place. That being said, again, that's not what I'm saying. Not sure why you're bringing up 360 and Ps3 either, as those two are about as traditional as homeconsoles get. There was never a reason for third parties not to jump on board.

The whole point is that third parties would be sceptical with jumping on board of a hybrid console no matter who brought it to market.

So yes, if Sony had announced the Ps4 with Switch specs (already unrealistic since the chip wasn't even out yet, but bear with me) as a hybrid and brought it market in 2013, with no traditional homeconsole in sight, third parties absolutely would have been highly sceptical. Especially if Sonys two competitors came to market with largely traditional and vastly more powerful consoles. It's even worse if you reverse the situation to MS, who don't even have any experience in the Handheld market at all. 

Sony has a lot of goodwill from third parties, while Nintendo has a damaged relationship with a lot of them, but my point was that the individual companies standing with third parties is laregly incedental to the third parties being sceptical of new concepts.

Nintendo has a history of know-how and success in the handheld space, aiding that aspect of development greatly, and has the IP and money to survive without full third party support, wich neiter MS nor Sony do.

It was never 'nintendo are the only ones who could make a Hybrid console', it was 'nintendo are the only ones who could make a hybrid console work'. BIg diffrence.

If you think sony could have pulled it off, fair enough. I personally have my doubts seeing the less than stellar support the vita recieved and MS would straight up have not survived trying the hybrid concept, they don't have the neccessary hardware expertise or IPs.

The point was about PS1 and X360 being succesfull even thought they didn't had much 1st party content which nullifies the notion that Switch-like HW could only be sucessful with strong 1st party games. The point of they being skeptical isn't valid since the devs have put games for consoles and HH before, so the fact that it's hybrid shouldn't make it impossible when the companies have good relationship.

The companies could be skeptical, but that is what relationship and bringing aboard is about, and presenting the project in a way to entice they

There is a difference between could have and did. Sony pulled PSP good and screwed PSVita... doesn't mean their hybrid would be either of the cases.

If we were to put the failures as a mean of impossibility than Wii and Switch shouldn't be good sellers since N64, GC and WiiU were hard floppers. And GBA and DS should also be bad since Virtua Boy.

I've had nice conversations with you before, so rather than get into a fight I'll stept back here because at this point it feels like you're willfully missunderstnding me.

The whole point is that a hybrid IS and entirely new concept. Yes, both home consoles and Handhelds have been established in the market, largely by Nintendo for amost 30 years now. A hybrid is not. Third parties are sceptical of new things.

This is not me making unsubstatiated claims either, there's literally industry talks about the topic (of new things) long preceding the Switch and heck official press releases about the Switch itself stating as much. AAA third parties do not like any kind of risk. There would not be full third party support for any console makers hybrid console out of the gate.

I don't feel like there can be much contention on that point without turning a blind eye to basic industry realities. If you disagree, fine, have a good night (it's nightime where I am..:P).

SuperNova said:
DonFerrari said:

I've had nice conversations with you before, so rather than get into a fight I'll stept back here because at this point it feels like you're willfully missunderstnding me.

The whole point is that a hybrid IS and entirely new concept. Yes, both home consoles and Handhelds have been established in the market, largely by Nintendo for amost 30 years now. A hybrid is not. Third parties are sceptical of new things.

This is not me making unsubstatiated claims either, there's literally industry talks about the topic (of new things) long preceding the Switch and heck official press releases about the Switch itself stating as much. AAA third parties do not like any kind of risk. There would not be full third party support for any console makers hybrid console out of the gate.

I don't feel like there can be much contention on that point without turning a blind eye to basic industry realities. If you disagree, fine, have a good night (it's nightime where I am..:P).

No issue man. It's basically just opinion that you think Sony/MS couldn't make hybrid first and be a success while I think Sony could, but since this won't ever happen since Switch already is a sucess it's a fruitless discussion =] good night.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said: 

Nope I looked at his full post... and on the later posts he moved the goalpost.

And Sony couldn't pull a hybrid like they pulled PS1 because?

Why couldn't Nintendo make a successful phone? Didn't say it's likely or that they would even try, still a lot of companies come from 0 and bring something disruptive and win market without even being know.

1. Sony couldn't pull off a hybrid because it would be a new concept and third parties would be skeptical as a result, moving towards Xbox where they get what they want. The PS1 was a straightforward home console; nothing about it was new.

2. Nintendo couldn't make a successful phone because the market is already too crowded in all price segments. The only selling point Nintendo could add would be games, but people don't buy phones to play games. The necessity for physical buttons would lead to compromises in the design of the phone which in turn would make it unattractive to pull it out in public spaces like other phones. Anyone who is looking for gaming on the go would stick with dedicated Nintendo handhelds due to superior hardware design and much better games. A Nintendo phone would inevitably be caught between pointless and not good enough.

1. It's a likely scenario but not 100% exclusive option

2. That is thinking Nintendo would just make the same phone everyone makes. It isn't impossible that someone will make a device that will take the cell place.

DonFerrari said:
SuperNova said:

No issue man. It's basically just opinion that you think Sony/MS couldn't make hybrid first and be a success while I think Sony could, but since this won't ever happen since Switch already is a sucess it's a fruitless discussion =] good night.

Very true! Thanks man! :)

quickrick said:
Gemmol31 said:
people are really try to spin this.........its common sense once Nintendo announce it reach 10 million and it did this in 9 days less than ps4, it was common sense to know Switch will beat out Sony first 12 months.......it was 9 days behind ps4 and had a whole December and January, before sales slow down in month 11 or 12.......while around month 11 or 12 for ps4 it was already out of holiday season...........so with both systems having one holiday sales and you add up all 12 months........Switch was going to beat the PS4 with ease........and there is still stock issues all over, especially Japan where people still line up

once April start and the first month of the second year start, we can start comparing how it will do against ps4 in its 2nd year..........Sony will get back the lead in 2nd year because their second holiday season coming up.......so as long as Switch keep it close.....by time its holiday season come up it can erase the lead and catch up or pass the ps4

it didn't reach 10 million before Ps4. your comparing a launch holiday, to post launch holiday, it's a very unfair comparison, and is the only reason switch is ahead of wii, and ps4. PS4 first holiday it was sold out the whole time, in fact, it had a million preorders 3 months before launch, and wii well that was much worse, they shipments were around 1 million for nov-dec sold out the whole time. 

my mistake I meant to wrote it did it in 9 days extra it reach 10 million after ps4.......so if you line up their months together for a whole year.....12 month line up......with both systems getting a holiday......Switch was always going to be ahead.....theres nothing unfair about it......did you forget how much switch had shortage the whole year....and people still on line playing lottery for one in Japan......how is it any different, both 12 months line up.....if anything it make it fair to compare

ps4 Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar, April May June, July August, sept, Oct

Switch.... Mar, April, May, June, July, Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb

12 months to compare.....both had shortage, with switch shortage being known more.....even more pics posted of people on line.......

like I was trying to say above, once it was posted it took Nintendo 9 more days to reach same 10 million and Nintendo 12 months was not finish yet......I knew it was impossible for the ps4 to sell enough systems in August, September and October.........vs Switch last 3 months to make 12 months which its last 3 months were Dec  Jan Feb  to make 12 months

Once Ps4 November and December sales numbers get enter in for month 13 and 14 of PS4 and Switch life......it will erase Switch lead or pass it.....but if Switch can hold up for month 15 to 24, they can continue to be ahead even in its second year vs ps4 second year

Last edited by Gemmol31 - on 04 January 2018

Clearly they should completely switch (no pun intended) their philosophy and go back to targetting soccer moms and senior citizens. Nothing to see here ...

A Nintendo system that doesn't look like a kids toy, has good marketing for adults including Superbowl and NBA Finals pushes, has big epic franchise games, no big droughts, and doesn't rely on control gimmicks as a main selling point could be successful.

Who knew that's all you needed. 

RolStoppable said:
GuyDuke said:

This is mighty impressive.

It is, but here's a secret: Switch isn't the fastest selling video game system in the USA like the thread title wants you to believe.

There's a reason why NIntendo's press release reads "home video game system", so you can figure that the things that got excluded have the real #1. Would it surprise you if I told you that the DS did better than Switch?

No?

But it should. The only video game system that sold faster than Switch in the USA is the Game Boy Advance.

...That's because in the business world and industry, they actually SEPARATE home consoles and handhelds. They're not lumped together as competitors. Why millennials fail to grasp this, I don't know. We've been separating them since the original Gameboy and it's only been since the rise of the millennials that there's this weird merging of the two. It's like they can't tell the difference between a Gameboy and an NES.