By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Switch has become the fastest selling video game system of all time in the US

Incredible sales... it's a monster!

Around the Network
quickrick said:
John19 said:

Uhm, yeah? My point was literally just that the Switch was heavily supply constrained in its launch month, don't really know what's so hard to understand about that

ps4 was supply limited because of it's launch, but it's launch month was the holidays get the point? being supply supply limited at launch is the norm for a highly demanded console, but when it's a holiday launch it hurts sales a lot more, basically missing out on the holiday period.  

I've literally never denied that. You said the Switch had a well stocked launch, it didn't, that's what I'm arguing

joora said:
nemo37 said:
Do we know how much Switch sold in the US by the beginning of December? We can use that information to calculate the December sales in the US. The charts unfortunately only show regional data in the US up to November 18.

If we conclude from the NPD data for November, it would put switch sales in December at around 1.4 million.

Edit: we didn't get NPD for switch, but could conclude from reports on PS4 numbers and switch selling half.

we have john harker telling us 2.5x over october, so switch shoudl have did 750k-780k for November, switch did around 1.45 in December.

Oh wow, that's amazing. Congrats to Nintendo!!

John19 said:
DonFerrari said:

Almost all consoles are supply constrained on launch, so that is hard to see why it's relevant.

I'm not claiming the Switch was the only supply constrained console. I was simply saying that it had a supply constrained month, not a well stocked one, and that it could have sold more if more had been shipped

Understood your point. But still it was well stocked (just as much as most good launches) but sure it wasn't enough.

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

Sure thing... and sure MS or Sony if launching a hybrid wouldn't have 3rd party support right? PS1 and X360 could become runaway success even with little first party content and still managed to get third parties onboard.

What you are saying is basically that Nintendo is the only one who could make Switch successful despite not having good relationship with 3rd parties, while the initial point was that Nintendo is the only company that could have made a hybrid console which then changed to be the only one that could make it sucessful and now the first one to make it or the only one that could do it only with 1st party... you are changing the goalpost as much as SpokenTruth is accusting quickrick of.

Yes I do. You know Sony or Apple could have done it if that was their idea or objective. Wouldn't be exactly like Nintendo made it, but they could make a sucessful hybrid console.

In response to what you said to Supernova:

There's no reason to believe that Sony or Microsoft would have third party support for a hybrid when Sony couldn't get third parties on board for the Vita which was a known entity as a handheld. If you can't get third parties for a known entity, you'll have no luck getting them for an unknown entity.

The goalposts haven't moved since cycycychris's original post. From the beginning he said that only Nintendo could turn such a product into a such a big success story.

In response to what you answered to my post:

I am not convinced in the least that Sony or Apple could do it. Sony at least has some success stories in the video game market, but Apple has only failure to show. Apple's entire corporate philosophy makes it so unlikely that they could succeed in the video game market. Sony's problem is that they need to put out hardware that AAA third parties approve of; additionally, all of Sony's first party IPs that qualify as system sellers also rely on processing power. So whether it's first or third party for Sony, what they need to succeed is at odds with the limitations that come with a hybrid design. Consider that Sony's Vita had to rely first and foremost on first party support in the USA and Europe - and in the USA which is the topic here - Vita fizzled out at ~2.4m units lifetime. You can rightly argue that Vita was far from ideal execution, but there's only so much tweaking Sony would be capable of. Ultimately, their first party wouldn't be able to carry the system and convince third parties.

Sony didn't even try to support it themselves in the first place so that is enough reason to believe 3rd parties wouldn't put much weight on it... still they managed to get support on PSP that was their first try.

Nope Rol, you read what he said, he was very straight claiming that Switch (as in concept) could only be made by Nintendo, and the post have been moved.

I have no issue with you thinking Sony or Apple couldn't pull it, but you can't assure it would be impossible... Apple was able to make an inovative idea based on others previous tries and make it a runaway success. Sony was able to turn Nintendo refutal on partnership on a first try that gone over NES and SNES.

I conceed that Switch is a good idea and that only Nintendo could do it a sucess by only having 1st party to rely on, but as I said others could have made a success hybrid on their way.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said: 

Sony didn't even try to support it themselves in the first place so that is enough reason to believe 3rd parties wouldn't put much weight on it... still they managed to get support on PSP that was their first try.

Nope Rol, you read what he said, he was very straight claiming that Switch (as in concept) could only be made by Nintendo, and the post have been moved.

I have no issue with you thinking Sony or Apple couldn't pull it, but you can't assure it would be impossible... Apple was able to make an inovative idea based on others previous tries and make it a runaway success. Sony was able to turn Nintendo refutal on partnership on a first try that gone over NES and SNES.

I conceed that Switch is a good idea and that only Nintendo could do it a sucess by only having 1st party to rely on, but as I said others could have made a success hybrid on their way.

Sony had their tier 2 studios working on Vita, including the release of Uncharted at launch. They had quite a few games in 2012, but they all fell flat. When Sony made the decision to give up on Vita, they still had first party games releasing throughout 2013, including Killzone and Tearaway; the games were too far into development to outright cancel them.

The reason why the PSP got third party support so easily is because of the PS1 and PS2. Third parties trusted Sony. But likewise, doubts were rising when PSP third party software sales continually declined in the USA and Europe. Unlike the PSP which could leverage strong trust, Vita didn't have this benefit anymore, so Sony had to earn it. It's because of this that it stands to reason that Sony would have to earn the trust of third parties for every future portable console, hence why turning a hybrid into a success is so farfetched for Sony.

As for cycycychris's post, you must be isolating a single sentence when all sentences belonged together and formed the complete context. There's no other way I can explain why you think that goalposts have been moved.

Apple has had no success in the video game business. Your argument here is as flawed as when someone claims that Nintendo could make a successful phone because they've made successful video game consoles.

He made a single sentence...

Very pretty your explanation for trust on PSP and not on PSVita, and the trust for PS1 came from?

Nope no flaw in saying Apple could make a succesfull HW. And also there wouldn't be much flaw in saying Nintendo could make a phone (except that their good part is on SW not HW)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
SuperNova said:

That's not what he's saying. None of the other 'switch-like' devices have seen the runaway success that the Switch has been, because none have had the first party support to back it up until third parties jump on board.

Sure, nintendo has done great work with indies in the last 1,5 years and has tried hard to woo AAA third party publishers, going so far as to hand Ubi their most presious IP to work on to secure an exclusive. And they have done this with some success. While Bethesda is showing great support and Rockstar, UBI and 2K moderate support, some, like EA and Capcom, are sluggish to jump onboard to say the least. A console wihtout the first party strenghth of Nintendo behind to drive sales could not have bridged the gaps in third party support still present. Nintendo was able to rely on their IP ad took risks that payed off in a major way with this system, while still working on improving their third party relationships.

Sure thing... and sure MS or Sony if launching a hybrid wouldn't have 3rd party support right? PS1 and X360 could become runaway success even with little first party content and still managed to get third parties onboard.

What you are saying is basically that Nintendo is the only one who could make Switch successful despite not having good relationship with 3rd parties, while the initial point was that Nintendo is the only company that could have made a hybrid console which then changed to be the only one that could make it sucessful and now the first one to make it or the only one that could do it only with 1st party... you are changing the goalpost as much as SpokenTruth is accusting quickrick of.

Well, it's not neccessaryly my point, even though I agree with it, but Rols in the first place. That being said, again, that's not what I'm saying. Not sure why you're bringing up 360 and Ps3 either, as those two are about as traditional as homeconsoles get. There was never a reason for third parties not to jump on board.

The whole point is that third parties would be sceptical with jumping on board of a hybrid console no matter who brought it to market.

So yes, if Sony had announced the Ps4 with Switch specs (already unrealistic since the chip wasn't even out yet, but bear with me) as a hybrid and brought it market in 2013, with no traditional homeconsole in sight, third parties absolutely would have been highly sceptical. Especially if Sonys two competitors came to market with largely traditional and vastly more powerful consoles. It's even worse if you reverse the situation to MS, who don't even have any experience in the Handheld market at all. 

Sony has a lot of goodwill from third parties, while Nintendo has a damaged relationship with a lot of them, but my point was that the individual companies standing with third parties is laregly incedental to the third parties being sceptical of new concepts.

Nintendo has a history of know-how and success in the handheld space, aiding that aspect of development greatly, and has the IP and money to survive without full third party support, wich neiter MS nor Sony do.

It was never 'nintendo are the only ones who could make a Hybrid console', it was 'nintendo are the only ones who could make a hybrid console work'. BIg diffrence.

If you think sony could have pulled it off, fair enough. I personally have my doubts seeing the less than stellar support the vita recieved and MS would straight up have not survived trying the hybrid concept, they don't have the neccessary hardware expertise or IPs.

Really, really please for Nintendo.

Too many people forget that the reason that gaming is where it is today has a lot to do with Nintendo. Regardless of the platform.

Yes, Nintendo can be frustrating sometimes but c’mon, they deserve it.

Well, if my calculations are done correctly, than that means the Switch has sold at least 1290k in December as the bare minimum.
Splatoon 2 over 0.96 M
Mariokart 8-D over 2.4 M
Breath of the Wild over 2.64 M
Mario odyssey over 2.88 M

Safe to say that Nintendo has returned in full force. Well deserved.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Jranation said:
kazuyamishima said:
Those numbers are really impressive.

But knowing the background of Nintendo, I don't know if they will support the system for many years. Also, the hardware in a few years will be really outpaced by the Ps5/Next Xbox, this means that the ports for the games released in those consoles will not be possible on the switch. Exclusive games will need to be make.

Nintendo Released the Big hitters in 2017: Zelda, Mario kart, Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon, Xenoblade. I know I know that Pokemon and Metroid and a few more are pending. But the gap between each main game is like 3-5 years.

The difference about Nintendo now is that they will only have to support 1 product. All Nintendo developers will only make games for the Switch. Unlike the Wii & DS / Wii U & 3DS

you need both good 1st and 3rd party support to have success. As I mentioned before, it's not that Nintendo will only focus in one system right one (which is true). Is the thing that in a few years, and mostly when Ps5 or Next Xbox will release, the hardware for the switch will be outpaced really hard compared to the new systems.

A revision of the tablet incoming with better hardware? Of course Nintendo will do that, Just like the smartphones or tablets. But what about the early shoppers?

Aside of the Wii, NDS and Game Boy, Maybe the switch has a shot to pass the 100 million units sold mark.