By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Switch has become the fastest selling video game system of all time in the US

Gemmol31 said:
quickrick said:

it didn't reach 10 million before Ps4. your comparing a launch holiday, to post launch holiday, it's a very unfair comparison, and is the only reason switch is ahead of wii, and ps4. PS4 first holiday it was sold out the whole time, in fact, it had a million preorders 3 months before launch, and wii well that was much worse, they shipments were around 1 million for nov-dec sold out the whole time. 

my mistake I meant to wrote it did it in 9 days extra it reach 10 million after ps4.......so if you line up their months together for a whole year.....12 month line up......with both systems getting a holiday......Switch was always going to be ahead.....theres nothing unfair about it......did you forget how much switch had shortage the whole year....and people still on line playing lottery for one in Japan......how is it any different, both 12 months line up.....if anything it make it fair to compare

ps4 Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar, April May June, July August, sept, Oct

Switch.... Mar, April, May, June, July, Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb

12 months to compare.....both had shortage, with switch shortage being known more.....even more pics posted of people on line.......

like I was trying to say above, once it was posted it took Nintendo 9 more days to reach same 10 million and Nintendo 12 months was not finish yet......I knew it was impossible for the ps4 to sell enough systems in August, September and October.........vs Switch last 3 months to make 12 months which its last 3 months were Dec  Jan Feb  to make 12 months

Once Ps4 November and December sales numbers get enter in for month 13 and 14 of PS4 and Switch life......it will erase Switch lead or pass it.....but if Switch can hold up for month 15 to 24, they can continue to be ahead even in its second year vs ps4 second year

dude you a re comparing console that had shortages due to launch but it was during the holidays' basically the best time of year . switch had shortages, and ps4 shortages, but switch was able to take full advantage of the holiday period, ps4 didn't like at all, it basically sold out due to launch demand.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

The Switch was at about 2.62M at the end of October, so this means that combined Nov.+Dec. sales were at least 2.18M. We never got an exact number for November, but assuming it was between 750-800k we can peg December at around 1.4M, plus or minus several hundred thousand.

Oh, and I can't help but mention that in this case a launch-aligned comparison isn't exactly apt. After 10 months, no other console had a full non-launch holiday season. The the PS1 & N64's 10th month would have been a June, the PS2's would have been a July, and every other console from the Xbox & GameCube up to the PS4 & XBO would have their 10th month in an August.

Not trying to downplay the Switch's excellent first year. Just putting it into perspective. A better comparison would be to compare the Switch to the first full calendar year of those other systems. Granted, the Switch didn't have a full Q1, but its March was comparable to the first Q1 of other successful systems. Comparing the Switch's 2017 to the first full calendar year of other systems from the past four generations, we get this:

Not nearly as good as the Wii or PS2, but those are very high bars that we shouldn't expect anything else to reach. But it is a bit ahead of the PS4 & N64.

holy crap N64 started off strong. thanks for the graph, really interesting.  this graph is pretty close to fair, but i still believe ps4, and xbox would have beat switch by a good margin had it launched in march, the thing had 1 million preorders before launch, and pent up demand was huge for both. 

Last edited by quickrick - on 04 January 2018

quickrick said:
Shadow1980 said:

The Switch was at about 2.62M at the end of October, so this means that combined Nov.+Dec. sales were at least 2.18M. We never got an exact number for November, but assuming it was between 750-800k we can peg December at around 1.4M, plus or minus several hundred thousand.

Oh, and I can't help but mention that in this case a launch-aligned comparison isn't exactly apt. After 10 months, no other console had a full non-launch holiday season. The the PS1 & N64's 10th month would have been a June, the PS2's would have been a July, and every other console from the Xbox & GameCube up to the PS4 & XBO would have their 10th month in an August.

Not trying to downplay the Switch's excellent first year. Just putting it into perspective. A better comparison would be to compare the Switch to the first full calendar year of those other systems. Granted, the Switch didn't have a full Q1, but its March was comparable to the first Q1 of other successful systems. Comparing the Switch's 2017 to the first full calendar year of other systems from the past four generations, we get this:

Not nearly as good as the Wii or PS2, but those are very high bars that we shouldn't expect anything else to reach. But it is a bit ahead of the PS4 & N64.

holy crap N64 started off strong. thanks for the graph, really interesting.  this graph is pretty close to fair, but i still believe ps4, and xbox would have beat switch by a good margin had it launched in march, the thing had 1 million preorders before launch, and pent up demand was huge for both. 

N64 was a beast early on. Switch reminds me of it a bit actually, but these days the game droughts are no where near as bad with eShop/indie games and the cartridge size is no where near as restrictive (or the option of putting extra data on SD Cards/internal memory). 

One wonders how the N64 could've done if they had even 128-256MB cartridges available then for a reasonable price. 

RolStoppable said:
kazuyamishima said:

you need both good 1st and 3rd party support to have success. As I mentioned before, it's not that Nintendo will only focus in one system right one (which is true). Is the thing that in a few years, and mostly when Ps5 or Next Xbox will release, the hardware for the switch will be outpaced really hard compared to the new systems.

A revision of the tablet incoming with better hardware? Of course Nintendo will do that, Just like the smartphones or tablets. But what about the early shoppers?

Aside of the Wii, NDS and Game Boy, Maybe the switch has a shot to pass the 100 million units sold mark.

Switch is already getting outpaced in processing power right now, so the PS5 isn't going to make a difference.

You should be more concerned about the well-being of PS gamers than Nintendo gamers when it comes to console repurchases for more processing power.

That's the main thing a lot of people keep saying nowadays, that there's no significant difference in the power between Ps3 and Ps4, and still, the Ps4 will have more success than the Ps3.

Even with the many mistakes Sony made with the Ps3, the console itself managed to got a lot of excellent games. They have a Very good relationship with the 3rd party companies and have a bunch of good exclusives, The Brand is really strong, so the Ps5 will be just fine.

You need a good balance between 1st and 3rd party, I know Nintendo has probably the best lineup for 1st party games, but what about 3rd party? 

The number of good 3rd party games that are NOT on the switch is Big.

quickrick said:

I don't think you realize that XB1 was at 6.19 million units after TWO HOLIDAYS, in 14 months.

Switch is at >4.8 million in only 10 months, with one holiday.

In 14 months, Switch is gonna be at the same level of XB1, IF NOT HIGHER.

Still 4 months to go, January/April Switch is gonna sell in the 250K range, February/March will probabily be in the 450k range, this would put Switch at over 6.2 million, and would be still higher than XB1.

With ONE holiday VS TWO holiday.

And you are saying that if XB1 launched in march it could have outsold Switch? BY A GOOD MARGIN?

Dude. Wake up.

Around the Network
Ryng_Tolu said:
quickrick said:

I don't think you realize that XB1 was at 6.19 million units after TWO HOLIDAYS, in 14 months.

Still 4 months to go, January/April Switch is gonna sell in the 250K range, February/March will probabily be in the 450k range, this would put Switch at over 6.2 million, and would be still higher than XB1.

And you are saying that if XB1 launched in march it could have outsold Switch? BY A GOOD MARGIN?

Dude. Wake up.

again one full holiday vs launch holiday. launch holidays again are not real holidays because product is almost all sold out due to  launch demand, 

quickrick said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Dude. Wake up.

again one full holiday vs launch holiday. launch holidays again are not real holidays because product is almost all sold out due to  launch demand, 

You clearly don't understand the point.

I'm giving to XB1 the advantage of TWO HOLIDAYS, 2013 holiday and 2014.

You think 2013 does not count because was launch? Well, first of all, XB1 launch was in November 2013. It sold another 900k in December, so it surely count as an holiday. But even if you don't want to count it, which makes no sense, XB1 still lose the comparation with another holiday, a FULL holiday, in 2014, where it was selling at freaking 350$ with 2 games.

The comparation is super disadvantage for Switch... and yet Switch probabily still wins.

What is fun is that you are saying that, if XB1 launched in March, it would have outsold Switch by a good margin. So, you want to remove an holiday from XB1, and you think XB1 could have sold better numbers?

Switch is a way bigger success than XB1, in USA. No one can deny that.

RolStoppable said:
quickrick said:

again one full holiday vs launch holiday. launch holidays again are not real holidays because product is almost all sold out due to  launch demand. 

This is very wrong. Because if what you said were true, then console manufacturers must be run by complete morons because they always want that holiday launch.

In reality they've done plenty of sales analyses and it's a proven fact that a holiday launch comes with the safety blanket of December sales due to it being gift-giving season. No December to fall back on results in a much steeper dropoff in demand in the post-launch month.

we can look at wii, 360, and even ps2, when they had little to no stock during there launch holidays. they want to launch early probably to please third party's, and of course it is a safety blanket if the console has no demand, but for a successful console, it's basically doesn't help at all.

Ryng_Tolu said:
quickrick said:

You think 2013 does not count because was launch? Well, first of all, XB1 launch was in November 2013. It sold another 900k in December, so it surely count as an holiday. But even if you don't want to count it, which makes no sense, XB1 still lose the comparation with another holiday, a FULL holiday, in 2014, where it was selling at freaking 350$ with 2 games.

The comparation is super disadvantage for Switch... and yet Switch probabily still wins.

What is fun is that you are saying that, if XB1 launched in March, it would have outsold Switch by a good margin. So, you want to remove an holiday from XB1, and you think XB1 could have sold better numbers?

I think xbox1 could have sold 2 million for march and april, with out the holidays, i just remember there being an insane amount of hype for xb1 and ps4. I forgot xbone launched at 499$, so maybe not. but if switch was able to do 1.2 million in 2 months with shortages i believe a 399$ xb1/ps4 could have done 2 million  easily, i never seen so much pent up demand 

quickrick said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

I think xbox1 could have sold 2 million for march and april, with out the holidays, i just remember there being an insane amount of hype for xb1 and ps4. I forgot xbone launched at 499$, so maybe not. but if switch was able to do 1.2 million in 2 months with shortages i believe a 399$ xb1/ps4 could have done 2 million  easily, i never seen so much pent up demand 

XB1 had no stock issue in November 2013, and sold only 909k. Then in December it sold 908k. You are telling me XB1 would have sold more in March/April than in November/December.

Now i'll tell you what would have happen if XB1 was released in March:

It would have sold less than in November. Probabily 700/800k. April would have been a big drop compared to March, while December was a flat month, it probabily would have sold barely 200/250k, and then starting to do XB1 usual numbers in 2014 (XB1 was selling 100-150k in 2014 withouth any important release)

You are seriusly saying it would have sold more, but in reality Switch would have eaten XB1 alive in this comparation if XB1 launched in March.