By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do some Switch games have the Sega Saturn mesh?

You're supposed to play on a CRT, then the dithering won't be so noticable.

Around the Network

I noticed it particularly in Mario Odyssey although I think it was a stylistic choice, still it'd be interesting to know if it really is or what.

I also suggest you use another Xenoblade 2 picture because spoilers

Last edited by Luke888 - on 05 January 2018

Luke888 said:
I noticed it particularly in Mario Odyssey although I think it was a stylistic choice, still it'd be interesting to know if it really is or what.

I also suggest you use another Xenoblade 2 picture because MASSIVE SPOILERS

The best example was that screen. It's heavily censored.  I already said that in the OP. You drawing more attention to it with all caps makes it worse btw.

The Switch is two Saturns duct-taped together. But because it's a hybrid, one of the Saturns is a rocket from the 1950s.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Luke888 said:

I also suggest you use another Xenoblade 2 picture because spoilers

I think its a choice in regard to low overhead shadow options.

I just remembered Street Fighter V on PS4 has dithering it and it looks bad because its on the characters.

I notice on Doom for X1 you see mesh patterns as you move but it seems to blend as you stand still. These are both games aiming for 60 fps.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

In the case of SF II, for example, is simply because back then there wasn't any other way to do proper transparency. The "new" game still uses the same engine, just with higher quality sprites.

It's just an easy performance win. 

As a game with open non-linear worlds running at 60fps, Odyssey has to make cutbacks to look as pretty as it does, and the devs just decided that using dithered transparencies was a less jarring tradeoff than, say, lowering the screen resolution.

It's not like this technique hasn't been seen on the Saturn; plenty of Wii U, PS3, and 360 games used dithering as a shortcut. Take a closer look at the foliage in Battlefield Bad Company 2, to use an example off the top of my head:

This effect is very common in games, it is not something which was just used on the Saturn and now the Switch..

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Probably as the ps4 and xbox one get to the end of their reign and the last games are released of the latest and best pc games conversions we will see more of this. I doubt many will care as long as they can play the latest and greatest games on their more humble hardware.

Nier: Automata on PC.

Last edited by caffeinade - on 16 January 2018