By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kimishima hopes to sell over 20M Nintendo Switch units next FY.

The fact that he's even putting these numbers out there shows that it's feasible.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
I object. That would be higher than any PS4 FY, so I reasonably can not believe this.

Nothing strange about it, sony consoles don't have huge years like nintendo machines have had before. Wouldn't surprise me to see Switch having bigger years than ps4 while selling less lifetime

EricFabian said:
nemo37 said:
They should try to have a similar release as 2017 with about one major release per month (mostly first-party) and about 2-3 evergreen titles for the year. With that being said though, for a system priced at $300 and facing stiff competition from more powerful and cheaper counterparts (the PS4 in particular appearing to have a very strong lineup), I do not think 20 million will be achievable at the current price (in fact I would not be surprised that with this price range sales decreasing YOY, perhaps substantially). To get close to 20 million they will need a price reduction (at least to $250 maybe even $200) and the aforementioned software release schedule.

Also, I hope by new ways of playing he is not referring to games like 1-2 Switch, Mario Party, Wii Sports and Brain Age. Don't get me wrong, sequels to those games by themselves are fine when spaced out over a couple of years, but an entire year focused on software like that is not going to have the effect it once did in the mid-2000s (I would argue it would even be detrimental to the system, if this is going to be their primary focus for next year).

10M, $300 price tag and 9 months. Why do you think Switch will stop now?

Perhaps its me looking into past trends too much. Portables in general and Nintendo home consoles do not typically do very well at high prices. The 3DS, DS, and GBA all received price cuts very early in their lives and it helped them greatly (particularly for the 3DS). I am convinced part of the Wii U's malaise was related to its price as well.

Another issue is that Sony and MS will most likely cut the prices of their systems next year and Sony has a particularly strong lineup which could steal some thunder from the Switch (MonHun in Japan has a huge base building potential for PS4, for example). I see Switch and the stationary systems being able to co-exist and compliment each other; nevertheless, they are still all fighting for the consumer's attention and lower prices  for the stationary systems combined with big lineups compared to this year can still negatively impact the Switch and the gamer's focus on it in 2018. 

Yes , he certainly said so in japanese.

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 28 December 2017

Pokemon Switch 2018 Confirmed!

Around the Network

They must have a lot coming then. The WiiU had Smash Bros and Mario Kart the same year. Didn't help it much.

nemo37 said:
EricFabian said:

10M, $300 price tag and 9 months. Why do you think Switch will stop now?

Perhaps its me looking into past trends too much. Portables in general and Nintendo home consoles do not typically do very well at high prices. The 3DS, DS, and GBA all received price cuts very early in their lives and it helped them greatly (particularly for the 3DS). I am convinced part of the Wii U's malaise was related to its price as well.

Another issue is that Sony and MS will most likely cut the prices of their systems next year and Sony has a particularly strong lineup which could steal some thunder from the Switch (MonHun in Japan has a huge base building potential for PS4, for example). I see Switch and the stationary systems being able to co-exist and compliment each other; nevertheless, they are still all fighting for the consumer's attention and lower prices  for the stationary systems combined with big lineups compared to this year can still negatively impact the Switch and the gamer's focus on it in 2018. 

I do not remember DS but GBA most definitely did not receive a price cut early. It launched at 99 USD and get its first price cut a year and a half later. The GBA launched almost 3 years later at 99 USD. The heck?

Plus, Gamecube was the cheapest piece of hardware at the time and how did that work out for Nintendo? People thought Wii and Switch were overpriced when they launched and how did they do for Nintendo? Maybe you should do more looking into your theory.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

animegaming said:
Get Smash, Animal Crossing, and of course Pokemon out by this time of next year and those 20 million units are a given.

I agree!

Nintendo sales accelerates quickly. So such a thing is possible. I can see Nintendo hitting those numbers easily if they have the right software. It might even be too low.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Animal Crossing. Probably Smash Bros. Super Mario Maker for the Switch? Get Fortnite and Overwatch, coupled with all the B tier franchises (Kirby, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Pikmin 4, Mario Party?) and that’s a given. Gameplay of Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon (if they aren’t releasing next year) and it’ll for sure help.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]