By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 47): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - November 20-26, 2017

Kyuu said:

But it WILL be a brand related problem in no time if Sony doesn't do something about it. They're probably torn right now between having VR integrated in future consoles, or going hybrid.

They won't go hybrid. They have an arms race with MS, they can't afford being outclassed in raw power like 3 or 5 times, they would start to lose multiplats or get dumbed down versions. You are assuming they would risk the strategy that is resulting in huge profits and strong positions in NA and EU just to try an uphill battle in Japan, a market that is less than half than any of the other big 2.

Around the Network

My 3.8m prediction for the Switch in 2017 isn't too farfetched now

Jranation said:
pleaserecycle said:
Hardware sales are only about 500000 below the 2015 total. About 1 million below the 2014 total.

Sony and MS bringing it down :( 

Ps4 and Xb1are the only consoles on the chart this week up YOY. Both these consoles wl be up YOY by the end. 3ds looking like it will fall behind. PS4 is tracking to have it's best year ever. 

It's doing fine in Japan and it's relatively more expensive in Japan compared to the EU  and US. plenty of room for price drops. 

Future years will have a cheaper ps4 pro slim and ps4 super slim. If Sony really wanted they could release a ps4 portable in 1-2 years. They already dominate worldwide sales though so might not feel the need.

torok said:
Pachofilauri said:

By 2019-2020  we will start to hear all about the PS5 so i doubt we will have both PS5 and Vita 2 in the same span. Unless the PS5 is a hybrid console

Chances are almost zero. Why would they risk alienating the worldwide fanbase just to appease Japan? It really wouldn't be worth it.

I know Switch is selling well as a hybrid, but PS consumers expect it to run all 3rd party titles so the console ends up needing to be too powerful to fit on that form factor. I could not imagine Sony releasing a PS5 marginally more powerful than a PS4 Pro with MS having a new Xbox that would destroy even the X1X, both at the same price point. Multiplat gamers would jump ship immediately.

I think it's because Sony has most of their market on the 20s and 30s and little appeal to smaller kids. Nintendo seems to have a strong hold on the younger/casual crowd. I see both companies having different a public, so what works for one won't necessarily work for the other.

I know that. My point was that it's unlikely that sony would release a PS4 portable console in 2019 when the PS5 is around the corner (2020). We all know that Sony is in the power race.

I found an interesting image.

Around the Network

Oh look at that, Switch with stock just steamrolls everything on the market.

Holy switch!!! Is it just more stock available or there was a major release???

Lawlight said:
Looks like the shortage is well and truly over.

Lmao no its not

Ok that's impressive

KBG29 said:
Pachofilauri said:

For what? 400USD???

$400 for a Portable PS4 in say early 2019 would be an absolute seal. I'd $600 4G version with calling and texting over a $1,000 iPhone or Android Phone any day. 

Miyamotoo said:

Its not only point for what price, but something like that couldn't be made currently, beacuse you would need PS4 APU in 7nm for something like that, also battery would be much worse than Switch one in any case. Maybe in few years something like PS4 Portable could be possible, but currently is not.

Yeah, no way it would come any sooner than 2019. I think it is pretty much Sony's only option if they want to remain competitive in their home contry though. The home console market is only about 15 to 20 million strong, portables is twice that. A portables that double as a phone could be 3 times that or more. With Apple and Samsung jacking phone prices up into the $1,000 territory, it would be awesome to see Sony and Nintendo disrupt the market with $500 phones that truly innovate.

I dont think they are worry about Japan, they have great sales in rest of world so I dont think they are worry too much because they don't have same great sales in Japan also.

Nautilus said:
This week actually brings up the question: Maybe the Switch and the Ps4 can coexist in the west, but will the Switch start canabilizing the PS4 sales on Japan, specially given that many third party japanese games will start showing up on it?

Games like MH W will obviously slow down this scenario, if it does end up happening, but I dont think that the PS4, at this pace, can reach 10 million units sold in japan.

I think Switch already started cannibalizing PS4 sales in Japan, PS4 last few weeks sold worse than it did last year when Switch wanst on market.

Lawlight said:
Looks like the shortage is well and truly over.

No, Switch is again sold out.

riecsou said:
Holy switch!!! Is it just more stock available or there was a major release???

Just more stock available.