By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 47): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - November 20-26, 2017

Nautilus said:
This week actually brings up the question: Maybe the Switch and the Ps4 can coexist in the west, but will the Switch start canabilizing the PS4 sales on Japan, specially given that many third party japanese games will start showing up on it?

Games like MH W will obviously slow down this scenario, if it does end up happening, but I dont think that the PS4, at this pace, can reach 10 million units sold in japan.

This is the biggest year for PS4 thus far so I think it will do the same numbers as PS3. Japan simply doesn't care all thst much about Playstation anymore. And Playstation actually wants to do great in the rest of the world, but doesnt see Ja pan as an essential market. Sony tried with games like Bloodborne, Persona 5 and Ni-Oh and Nier Automata but all they did was show that more typical Japanese games can also do well outside of Japan. While not doin all that well inside of it. Point is Japan is to much of a special market for Sony's global focus.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
GuyDuke said:
Matsku said:

Black friday isn't even that big in Europe yet. 

That's right.

Imagine the Playstation sales when it will.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:

Nautilus said:
This week actually brings up the question: Maybe the Switch and the Ps4 can coexist in the west, but will the Switch start canabilizing the PS4 sales on Japan, specially given that many third party japanese games will start showing up on it?

Games like MH W will obviously slow down this scenario, if it does end up happening, but I dont think that the PS4, at this pace, can reach 10 million units sold in japan.

This is the biggest year for PS4 thus far so I think it will do the same numbers as PS3. Japan simply doesn't care all thst much about Playstation anymore. And Playstation actually wants to do great in the rest of the world, but doesnt see Ja pan as an essential market. Sony tried with games like Bloodborne, Persona 5 and Ni-Oh and Nier Automata but all they did was show that more typical Japanese games can also do well outside of Japan. While not doin all that well inside of it. Point is Japan is to much of a special market for Sony's global focus.

I think Japan doesn't care about home consoles anymore, as a whole. The problem is not specifically related to the Playstation brand.

Matsku said:

Damn those Switch and Odyssey numbers. But it was pretty expected black friday week and all. Even If it's not as big in Japan the US and Europe stock increase should affect Japan also.

it did Nothing to PS4 though?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

In Japan this week is not a holiday. Sales in Japan are most strong in December.

DS|DS(2y)/ Wii|Wii(2y)/ 3DS|3DS(2y)/ WiiU|WiiU(2y)

November

W4 468,880 | 176,958 / ***,*** | *74,764 / 120,920 | 167,408 / ***,*** | *28,518

December

W1 198,892 | 299,328 / 350,358 | 115,057 / 205,962 | 211,499 / 308,142 | *48,762

W2 221,625 | 408,770 / *85,439 | 170,558 / 350,321 | 319,025 / 126,916 | *74,903

W3 396,674 | 597,628 / 108,237 | 232,907 / 367,691 | 411,272 / 122,843 | 109,113

W4 209,522 | 390,181 / 279,277 | 152,209 / 482,200 | 250,205 / *69,386 | *73,178

W5 ***,*** | ***,*** / *96,332 | ***,*** / 197,952 | ***,*** / ***,*** | ***,***

Last edited by takoyaki7 - on 29 November 2017

Around the Network

Looks like the shortage is well and truly over.

Kyuu said:
GuyDuke said:

I think Japan doesn't care about home consoles anymore, as a whole. The problem is not specifically related to the Playstation brand.

But it WILL be a brand related problem in no time if Sony doesn't do something about it. They're probably torn right now between having VR integrated in future consoles, or going hybrid.

Na, Sony won’t go handheld ever again. Not with the type of profit the gaming division is making. And I don’t think they particularly care about Japan.

Qwark said:

Nautilus said:

But I wasnt talking about global sales.WW is obvious that Sony is doing extremely well.My question is for japan.Wether WW is more important or not its not the point.The point is that Sony has "lost" japan.At least it looks that way.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Pachofilauri said:

By 2019-2020  we will start to hear all about the PS5 so i doubt we will have both PS5 and Vita 2 in the same span. Unless the PS5 is a hybrid console

Chances are almost zero. Why would they risk alienating the worldwide fanbase just to appease Japan? It really wouldn't be worth it.

I know Switch is selling well as a hybrid, but PS consumers expect it to run all 3rd party titles so the console ends up needing to be too powerful to fit on that form factor. I could not imagine Sony releasing a PS5 marginally more powerful than a PS4 Pro with MS having a new Xbox that would destroy even the X1X, both at the same price point. Multiplat gamers would jump ship immediately.

I think it's because Sony has most of their market on the 20s and 30s and little appeal to smaller kids. Nintendo seems to have a strong hold on the younger/casual crowd. I see both companies having different a public, so what works for one won't necessarily work for the other.

It's Nintendo's world isn't it? We just live in it.