By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 47): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - November 20-26, 2017

Xeno555 said:

So despite the "hype" and prospect of Black Friday, the PS4 failed to achieve any major growth compared to a regular week.

I believe this is a precursor to next year, I think we will see 11K-17K become the default regular week of the PS4 as it gets crushed by the Switch.

huehuehue

Black Friday isn't even a thing in Japan.

Well... that's not technically true, since Japanese are slowly starting to embrace the Black Friday culture. But it's not as widespread as over in the West. At least, for now.

Around the Network
pleaserecycle said:
Hardware sales are only about 500000 below the 2015 total. About 1 million below the 2014 total.

Sony and MS bringing it down :( 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
pleaserecycle said:
Hardware sales are only about 500000 below the 2015 total. About 1 million below the 2014 total.

Sony and MS bringing it down :( 

I made a mistake and forgot to update the totals.... we're only 200000 behind 2015 and 700000 behind 2014.  :)

I'd love to see Pokémon and Animal Crossing on the Switch next year.  Those numbers would be insane!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

KBG29 said:
Pachofilauri said:

For what? 400USD???

$400 for a Portable PS4 in say early 2019 would be an absolute seal. I'd $600 4G version with calling and texting over a $1,000 iPhone or Android Phone any day. 

Miyamotoo said:

Its not only point for what price, but something like that couldn't be made currently, beacuse you would need PS4 APU in 7nm for something like that, also battery would be much worse than Switch one in any case. Maybe in few years something like PS4 Portable could be possible, but currently is not.

Yeah, no way it would come any sooner than 2019. I think it is pretty much Sony's only option if they want to remain competitive in their home contry though. The home console market is only about 15 to 20 million strong, portables is twice that. A portables that double as a phone could be 3 times that or more. With Apple and Samsung jacking phone prices up into the $1,000 territory, it would be awesome to see Sony and Nintendo disrupt the market with $500 phones that truly innovate.

By 2019-2020  we will start to hear all about the PS5 so i doubt we will have both PS5 and Vita 2 in the same span. Unless the PS5 is a hybrid console

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
konnichiwa said:

Remember also the discussions with people who called PS4 30K great sales. Switch is showing what great sales really are.

instead of accepting how a wise decision Nintendo made with making the Switch a Hybrid and kind of dumb decision that sony did not make one for Japan we probably going to back to the 'it is a hybrid so it doesn't count excuse'.

Really don't think Sony can do much now. 3 year headstart/Being more cheap and available in stores/Own almost any number of games in the top 20 pre ordered lists it is still getting dominated.

Sony going with a traditional console was no dumb decision coz unlike Nintendo, their home consoles are still going strong worldwide. Nintendo was forced to adapt a new approach seeing as Wii U was a massive failure.

Not to mention Sony wasn't in a position to take risks like that.

But this is about Japan, my point with a few others like (acevil) was PS4 worldwide great but Japan it is okayish while others claimed it was doing great because Japan has become a smaller market because of mobile. 

Damn those Switch and Odyssey numbers. But it was pretty expected black friday week and all. Even If it's not as big in Japan the US and Europe stock increase should affect Japan also.

This week actually brings up the question: Maybe the Switch and the Ps4 can coexist in the west, but will the Switch start canabilizing the PS4 sales on Japan, specially given that many third party japanese games will start showing up on it?

Games like MH W will obviously slow down this scenario, if it does end up happening, but I dont think that the PS4, at this pace, can reach 10 million units sold in japan.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

GuyDuke said:
Xeno555 said:

So despite the "hype" and prospect of Black Friday, the PS4 failed to achieve any major growth compared to a regular week.

I believe this is a precursor to next year, I think we will see 11K-17K become the default regular week of the PS4 as it gets crushed by the Switch.

huehuehue

Well... that's not technically true, since Japanese are slowly starting to embrace the Black Friday culture. But it's not as widespread as over in the West. At least, for now.

Black friday isn't even that big in Europe yet. 

Matsku said:
GuyDuke said:

Black friday isn't even that big in Europe yet. 

That's right.