By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch is handheld, home console or hybrid!?

Switch is handheld, home console or hybrid?

Handheld. 20 18.02%

Home console. 5 4.50%

Hybrid. 86 77.48%

Total:111

It's just damn good.

But for the topic on hand, it's a hybrid.

Around the Network
ThisGuyFooks said:
So this is a reactionary thread to your discussion with NATO?

I think you both were pretty thorough with your arguments in my thread, so i will link it here for everyone to see:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=232997&page=1#

Dingdingding, we have a winner.

Nintendo has advertised the Switch as being a handheld and a home console.
The usage statistics also point to a large group of people who use it as either a fixed device or a portable device and a larger swathe of people using it as both.
The dock means it can live life as a fixed home device, battery and screen means it can be taken anywhere.

So it's both. And should be compared to everything else on the market.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

So it's both. And should be compared to everything else on the market.

At the end of the day, though, it'll be compared to PS4 and XB1. Not because "omg it's a home console", but because it's Nintendo's primary platform, and the XB1/PS4 are Microsoft's/Sony's. Besides, with Sony's apparent withdrawal from handhelds it's a space dominated exclusively by Nintendo, so handheld comparison is dead in the water.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

This is just arguing over semantics.

People should simply think of it as a device designed to act as both.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Look the results !

Obviously it's not a handheld because it's been designed for home console games. I'd say that also prevents it from being a hybrid, although it's not far off. I'd say it's a home console first and foremost, but it has strong portability capabilities.

I use mine primarily as a handheld, but it is a hybrid.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Why is it that gamers can't understand this but casuals can? We aren't solving quantum physics problems people. For fuck's sake, how difficult can it be to put 2 and together?

It's going against home consoles and has the capability of being a handheld or console, thus being a hybrid. What kind of dumbass question is this? If we're gonna see this philosphical 'handheld or console' shit turn into the new 'nintendoom', then I'm gonna be pretty disappointed in vgchartz

shoichi said:
CrowRSchneider said:
It's a tablet that can be connected to a monitor like other tablets, there's nothing in the dock to be called an hybrid or home console... so it's a handheld.

There actually is a difference between docked and undocked mode for the Switch. It is to conserve battery power (because Nintendo wanted the Switch to reach a certain minimum), along with requiring less to run on a lower resolution screen (720p screen vs 1080p+ tvs)

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/12/nintendo-switch-nvidia-tegra-x1-specs-speed/

-In undocked mode (handheld/tabletop) the Switch runs at 384 MHz, GFLOPS (FP32) 196, GFLOPS (FP16) 392.

-In docked mode (television mode) the Switch runs at 768 MHz, GFLOPS (FP32) 393, GFLOPS (FP16) 786.

The Switch likely could have ran at docked speeds even in undocked. But the battery life probably wouldn't last more than an hour at best for a majority of games.

So that proves my point? It's a tablet programed to not run at its best until you connect it?

I know... my English sucks.