By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch is handheld, home console or hybrid!?

Switch is handheld, home console or hybrid?

Handheld. 20 18.02%

Home console. 5 4.50%

Hybrid. 86 77.48%

Total:111

A handheld for me, and one I don't like but will eventually need.

Around the Network

Cant believe people are still nor over it

Its a hybrid

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

It's what I want it to be when I want it to be.

It's a Hybrid, but it will be compared to the XB1 and PS4 because it's Nintendo's primary platform.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

It CAN be used as either a regular home console or a regular handheld.

However the actual unit itself is clearly a handheld in the sense that all the technology is there, with a screen, with buttons and it's all in a small handheld package you can take anywhere. It is in essence just a handheld console with a HDMI port. I play mobile games alot, and I can stream that to my TV too, but they will always still be mobile games.

I think its clear that the Switch is just a handheld that has the ability to stream to a TV, but what makes it appear like a console is the dock and the fact the games for it are "console-esque"

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Vodacixi said:

This is the Nintendo Switch Console. Nothing more than that. That's were every component that powers the device and makes it work is located. I think no one will dare to say otherwise. The dock is an accesory, and is sold as such.

Does it look like a home console to you? Well, if you say "no"... that's because it's not. Everything in this device screams "portable". It has a screen, its internals are designed for portable machines, it has a battery that allows it to not have to be plugged all the time... to TAKE IT WITH YOU. It uses storage commonly used in portable devices for both internal and external (micro sd cards/switch game cards).

The fact that you can plug the PORTABLE CONSOLE to the TV doesn't make it a home console. Because then, my iPad would a home device, my PSP would be a home console and my MP3 would be a home music device.

Difference with Switch compared to your iPad or PSP, or MP3 is a fact that Switch in docked mode act like real home console, when Switch is in docked it's basically like any other home console on market.

I've used my PSP Go as a hybrid.  It has a dock that's hooked up to the TV, and when I dock it I use the PS3 controller to game.

So just curious, I dont have a Switch (yet) so how does the Switch dock function compared to the PSP Go's?

I did it! I've successfully traveled back in time to Oct 20 2016......I'm gonna go f**k myself.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

It depends on the argument I am currently having. If it benefits more to be a handheld then I will call it a handheld. If I benefit more if I call it a console then I will call it a console.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

In reality it's a handheld that can be plugged into the TV like a console. But its marketed as a console that can be played as a handheld

Miguel_Zorro said:
I can't explain why this is even still a discussion.

It can't really be VGChartz without recycled discussion XD or perhaps a better way of putting it would be re-evaluating the previously explored topic in efforts to see how results have changed or remained the same since last said discussion -but that lacks the same ring