By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch is handheld, home console or hybrid!?

Switch is handheld, home console or hybrid?

Handheld. 20 18.02%

Home console. 5 4.50%

Hybrid. 86 77.48%

Total:111
ThisGuyFooks said:
Miyamotoo said:

Difference with Switch compared to your iPad or PSP, or MP3 is a fact that Switch in docked mode act like real home console, when Switch is in docked it's basically like any other home console on market.

Nothing that couldnt be done with a software update, as we all know the Switch cradle is nothing more than an HDMI adapter.

You dont know what are you talking about, on Switch you have portable mode and home console mode where games run difrently that why you have higher resolution in docked mode, thats why games are made to run in two different mods, that's why you have full AAA home console games, that why you have full home console local multiplayer, that why you have detachable controls, that's why you have dock...how all that has anything with any update!?

V-r0cK said:
Miyamotoo said:

Difference with Switch compared to your iPad or PSP, or MP3 is a fact that Switch in docked mode act like real home console, when Switch is in docked it's basically like any other home console on market.

I've used my PSP Go as a hybrid.  It has a dock that's hooked up to the TV, and when I dock it I use the PS3 controller to game.

So just curious, I dont have a Switch (yet) so how does the Switch dock function compared to the PSP Go's?

Again, Switch acts like real home console right out of box, not like handheld connected to TV.

First you have hole picture on your TV not just on part of TV, second game actually in docked mode on TV runs at higher resolution compared to portable mode, moment you put Switch in Dock you can start playing on TV, moment you take out Switch you can play in handheld mode, you got two controllers out of box for local multiplayer, it offers full home console local multiplayer, you have big home console AAA games...so Switch in dock mode is real home console.

ThisGuyFooks said:
Wallacy said:

I did not know that all the tablets on the market received a GPU boost when connected to the TV. That's a big difference, and that why is called hybrid.

Also, the dock has 3 adicional USB ports, that you can use the Pro-Controller wired, and plug a regular Ethernet cable.

"The Nintendo Switch Dock doesn't do much of Anything. Its a Cable Management Tool...and thats kind of it."

https://www.polygon.com/2017/1/13/14268270/what-does-the-nintendo-switch-dock-do

And yet Switch games run at higher resolution in docked mode and they are made from start to work in two different mods, handheld and home console mod.

Around the Network
CrowRSchneider said:
It's a tablet that can be connected to a monitor like other tablets, there's nothing in the dock to be called an hybrid or home console... so it's a handheld.

There actually is a difference between docked and undocked mode for the Switch. It is to conserve battery power (because Nintendo wanted the Switch to reach a certain minimum), along with requiring less to run on a lower resolution screen (720p screen vs 1080p+ tvs)

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/12/nintendo-switch-nvidia-tegra-x1-specs-speed/

-In undocked mode (handheld/tabletop) the Switch runs at 384 MHz, GFLOPS (FP32) 196, GFLOPS (FP16) 392.

-In docked mode (television mode) the Switch runs at 768 MHz, GFLOPS (FP32) 393, GFLOPS (FP16) 786.

The Switch likely could have ran at docked speeds even in undocked. But the battery life probably wouldn't last more than an hour at best for a majority of games.

Last edited by shoichi - on 17 November 2017

Who wants to start a topic about whether the PS4 is a Sony console or not ?

It's what you want it to be.

It's a handheld first and foremost that has docking capabilities. The Switch wouldn't function without the tablet, yet it can function without the dock. If you perceive it as mostly a home console or JUST a home console, it's honestly surprising how you're gaming on such mediocre hardware that's more expensive than other consoles. 32GB...Sure, there are Nintendo exclusives but multiplats are worse both graphically and in performance, along with them securing a higher price tag and potentially having awkward controls. The Switch is potentially the best handheld-of-all time for me, and if you're not willing to take advantage of that or you're not into handhelds, I would not advise buying a Switch unless you're a sucker for every game Nintendo puts out to the point where you can overlook that.

God forbid, I haven't even mentioned how it holds up online as well, and everything besides gaming on it as a handheld is barebones.

Last edited by friendlyfamine - on 17 November 2017

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Can it work as a home console? Yes.
Can it work as a portable? Yes.
Is this absolutely fucking obvious and has been used as the main selling point of the system? Yes.

So, it is a hybrid, because it is also the other two. Therefore, all options are correct.

pretty much this tbh, this is a strange thread to exist on VGchartz.

I wouldn't be shocked to find a retaliation thread of "is water wet?" :(

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Physically, it is a handheld. People want to view it as a hybrid. Some think it is a home console.

The argument of people changes based on criteria. DOOM is a decent port because Switch is a tablet, for example. Even though those people just called it a home console, Switch becomes a tablet the moment someone say the port of a game is below standards.

That is the convenience of Switch, it gets to be what anyone wants it to be in that moment. The fact remains that the console is a handheld in its physical design and people need to accept that and be even more accepting (or blown away) when watered down ports come to the console.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Its whatever you want it to be!

This discussion/poll keeps popping up over and over again. The answer/consensus is always hybrid.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=232997&page=1#
We literally had one of these polls yesterday.

Is this going to be the new "Nintendo is doomed" style thread?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

GhaudePhaede010 said:
Physically, it is a handheld. People want to view it as a hybrid. Some think it is a home console.

The argument of people changes based on criteria. DOOM is a decent port because Switch is a tablet, for example. Even though those people just called it a home console, Switch becomes a tablet the moment someone say the port of a game is below standards.

That is the convenience of Switch, it gets to be what anyone wants it to be in that moment. The fact remains that the console is a handheld in its physical design and people need to accept that and be even more accepting (or blown away) when watered down ports come to the console.

Agreed 100%