By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 VS Switch lifetime sales, which console will sell the most?

What do you expect?

NSW will win by a huge margin 53 16.06%

NSW will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a huge margin 117 35.45%

Sorry, no troll XB1 option. :P Oh wait... 10 3.03%

Total:330
victor83fernandes said:

Why is this even a topic? Obviously its the switch, there is no question about it, with the launch of the OLED model the switch will reach 100 million by the end of the year. The Pokémon in January will drive sales even further. And then breath of the wild 2. And there's still 2 or 3 more years of sales for the switch.

On the other hand the ps4 is basically finished, everyone's moving to ps5, especially with backwards compatibility and there's nothing exclusive coming to ps4.

This topic began in 2017, hence 80 pages lol. Wasn't clear at all back then.

Around the Network
Radek said:

I'm devastated that PS4 sales have almost completely stopped, is 120 millions even possible still?

I also blame Sony for not reducing the price to like $199 for 1TB model at least wtf.

The bigger issue is that sony stopped manufacturing decent numbers of PS4's. Whether by design (to quickly move users to PS5) or by circumstance (Covid/chip shortage etc) IDK.

SS tier is for those consoles that sells over 150 million. It did not specific "how much more" simple because there is not another tier above that, or at least there is not one yet.

DS and PS2 are very close in sales, and both are waaaaaaay head any other consoles, no console outside of those 2 reached 120 million units (PS4 was looking very likely to surpass it but now we are not sure if it will), and those 2 sold +30 million more than that.

For being SS tier, Switch has to sell 150 million units, which i think is very likely. But as of now i don't have plan to make another tier for it, unless it sells WAY better than DS and PS2...

How much better? we'll see i guess, 200 million is DEFINITIVE another level and deserve his own tier. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe even 180-190 million would be enough for another tier... if it sells 170 million, i don't think it'll be another tier, it would still be SS like PS2 and DS.

Ryng said:

SS tier is for those consoles that sells over 150 million. It did not specific "how much more" simple because there is not another tier above that, or at least there is not one yet.

DS and PS2 are very close in sales, and both are waaaaaaay head any other consoles, no console outside of those 2 reached 120 million units (PS4 was looking very likely to surpass it but now we are not sure if it will), and those 2 sold +30 million more than that.

For being SS tier, Switch has to sell 150 million units, which i think is very likely. But as of now i don't have plan to make another tier for it, unless it sells WAY better than DS and PS2...

How much better? we'll see i guess, 200 million is DEFINITIVE another level and deserve his own tier. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe even 180-190 million would be enough for another tier... if it sells 170 million, i don't think it'll be another tier, it would still be SS like PS2 and DS.

I would argue that even if the Switch "only" gets as high as 140M that you should amend the SS tier to 140M+ to include it in the same tier as DS and PS2, since it will still be closer in number to those than to the ones in the S tier, which are all between 100M and 120M.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

There's also more letters beyond 'D'. I'd bump tiers down a couple letters; things aren't really 'special' anymore if there's like a 'triple special' tier.

Around the Network
Radek said:

I'm devastated that PS4 sales have almost completely stopped, is 120 millions even possible still?

I also blame Sony for not reducing the price to like $199 for 1TB model at least wtf.

There was no incentive for them to reduce it.  They knew they could sell whatever little inventory they are able to produce at current price.  No point in blowing out shipments for less profit.  Also no point in pushing PS4 manufacturing when they are already struggling to meet demand for PS5 shipments during a global parts shortage.

Ryng said:

Would make sense.  But then again S Tier is set as covering 100-150m units which is the largest tier and therefore unbalances the chart.  Every other tier is separated by 20-30m units.  So, SS Tier seems to be set a bit high to start right at PS2 and DS, as if the phenomenal sales of those 2 systems just barely separated themselves from S Tier.  If another system like the Switch crosses 135 or 140m, that will still be a great deal closer to the performance of PS2 and DS than it would be to Wii and PSOne.  Rather than thinking about what SSS Tier would be, S Tier and SS Tiers should actually be modified to fall more in line with the rest of the chart.  If S Tier were 100-135m, then SS Tier would make sense as 135-170m.  A hypothetical SSS Tier would be over 170m in that case.

yo33331 said:

So you should already put PS4 and XB1 in their respective tiers, cuz XB1 is not reaching 70M and PS4 is not reaching 150M.

i may do it in the future 

I don't like this tier system because you have the 2600 in C tier. The 2600 was so dominant that nothing came close to it. It set the record for best selling console of all time in its day and yet is here in tier C.

LOL, it's years later and now what everyone cares about in this thread is amending the tier system.